[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Old Car for New?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

File: caddy.jpg (42KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
caddy.jpg
42KB, 600x450px
Alright, so this is just hopeful planning but still.

I graduate college next semester, and one of the 1st purchases im gonna make with whatever job i get (my degree is specialized, and im at one of the very colleges in the US that supply this education, so getting a job is gonna be relatively easily that pays at least $50k+ starting) is gonna be a "new" car.

Now ive always hated the idea of a brand new car from a dealer (loses 10k in value the moment it leaves the lot bs), but i realized im gonna have to use my awesome credit if i want to get anything more than shit boxes that i buy with my sheckles.

So what about a dealer that focus's on older cars?

Also i want a car that isnt the major collector cars that have major boomer tax (you can see on one of the sites ill post that have a rusted 1/2 shell for 5k) but i dont want a car thats just seen as some old car that i got from my grandma. Like choosing a 67 4door impala over a 69 camaro. Any suggestions of old cars that still have a "cool" factor but arent overly hyped?

The caddy in pic: https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/5341798787.html
>>
Another option is a 64 catalina for 17k. Looks amazing, but idk if its over priced.

http://www.classiccarliquidators.com/classic-cars/Pontiac/1964/Catalina/834P141818/2089
>>
Or a 71 cutlass convertible for 14k. I dont dig the conv top, and that makes me worry about rust, but for the price and condition, id consider it.

http://www.classiccarliquidators.com/classic-cars/Oldsmobile/1971/Cutlass/342671M221612/2061
>>
Or a 69 skylark for 15k

http://www.classiccarliquidators.com/classic-cars/Buick/1969/Skylark/4463791116443/2220
>>
I dont so much care about A/C/heat, matching numbers or heritage. But i would like PS and PB so i can dd with ease along with reliability. Normally i would get one to make my own, but i figured some of these would have the modern touches added to them along with being in better condition.
>>
Would love some input on this
>>
File: 00t0t_k8Hon3vsWx1_600x450.jpg (49KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00t0t_k8Hon3vsWx1_600x450.jpg
49KB, 600x450px
>>14044442
Dealer's that focus on older cars isn't necessarily a bad idea. They do overprice a lot of the time though, but you are almost guaranteed (from my experience) to find a car in decent shape buying from a classic car dealer.

If you buy anything that is pre 80's I doubt anyone is gonna think it's a "grandma car" and even if they do who fucking cares? If you like it, buy it. Best way to avoid boomer tax is to buy 4 door. Most 4 doors are cheaper than their 2 door counterparts. Another great way to avoid boomer tax is to avoid big names like Camaro, Skylark, Nova, Cutlass, Impala, Chevelle, etc. There are plenty of cool cars that don't have boomer tax. Here's a great example https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5324928407.html
>>
>>14044442
64 catalina is sexy and cheap for my yurop standards, but i would definetly chose a cadillac that big lazy v8 gangster mobil and crousing machine it sexy, roomy comftortable fun and built to go threw several world wars....
>>
Daily driving a classic is possible, keep in mind, expect low teens on the MPG when thinking of anything with over 350 cubic inches. The maintenance will be a little more often, little tune up type stuff. The handling and braking will be bad, usually not many options that we are used to and last that I can think of, you're driving it in a world of soccer moms and jelly poor fags. It will get parking lot dings like any other daily driver. If I were to do it, I wouldn't use a pristine condition car. daily drove a 1972 Plymouth Satellite and 1979 Chrysler 300 so it is possible.
>>
File: 1.jpg (124KB, 1000x526px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
124KB, 1000x526px
>>14044535
The classic dealers are almost as bad. If you want a fun older car for cheap, look at full size cars only. For about 10k, you can get a very clean Fury, Monoco, New Yorker or an Imperial. Some of those are even 2 door hardtop cars which take away any granny favor and all C Body cars came with big blocks. As for a GM, Buick Riviera, LeSabre, and Regal are all there. A cheaper option could be the Cadillacs of the era but they are getting pricey. Ford is ford, don't look for them much but a Torino or LTD may be for you. Pic related, it's a 4 door HT Monoco.
>>
File: 1.jpg (48KB, 500x298px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
48KB, 500x298px
>>14044614
And this is a Fury 2dr. What era is your favorite OP, 60s? 70s?
>>
Get an old Alfa Romeo
>>
>>14044670
He wants to drive it after he graduates, not pass it down as a project to his second born.
>>
>>14044665
Mopar suspensions got better when they went torsion bar in the 70's also coke bottle and fuselage styling is better.
>>
>>14044720
>Torsion Bar
>70s

Guess again. The T bars are used all the way back into the late 1950s. My 66 has T bars. As for styling that's objective. Slab Sides make better sleepers imo, fusies have better tail lights as opposed to 65-66.

Really biggest differences going from a slab to a fusie is interior amenities and slight styling cues. Heck, the front was virtually u change until 70.
>>
>>14045052
Forgot to add coke bottle styling came along in 1966 with the Charger but didn't get called coke bottle until 1968 with the restyle, however most call the 1st Gen charger coke bottle styling.
>>
>>14044665
Im all about the 60's and early 70's for cars.

>>14044607
Im coming from a lifted v6 truck whose mpg has never seen the high side of 14, handling and speed is next to nothing. The only reason i want PS and PB is cause of less of a hassle to drive in the city or oh shit moments on the highway.
>>
Another reason i want an old car apart from the amazing styling and superior safety (fender benders wont harm it, and ill be too dead to care if it gets totaled) is the simplicity of them. My 04 silverado has left me stranded multiple times due to electronic shit failing, and a plastic clutch pedal snapping in half.
>>
File: CadillacEldorado1968.jpg (598KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
CadillacEldorado1968.jpg
598KB, 2560x1920px
If you are going Cadi see if you can find a 60s eldorado

68 I think is when they got disk brakes standard so around there would be a good year, everything after 70 isn't as nice looking.

500 cubic inch V8 in a fwd what could go wrong

They are also probably going to start going up in value if they haven't already, but are affordable last I checked.
>>
buy a civic you madman
>>
If you're looking at Classic Car Liquidators I'm assuming you're in texas OP. Personally I prefer to search the Houston craigslist with the "search nearby areas" function and check every box.

You can find some real gems in unbelievable, grandma-never-drove it quality.
>>
>>14046712
Never.
>>
>>14044464
You must live in Texas. Classic Car liquidators is a god-tier dealership. Their inventory usually is awesome stuff, I'm looking for a first car and have super chill parents. There's an orange Chevelle there that is super sexy
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.