[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 287
Thread images: 49

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

>Ask /o/ related questions
and
>If you have the answers to any questions the other anons have asked, answer those.

Last thread reached bump limit :
>>14010469
>>
File: Capri014.jpg (204KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
Capri014.jpg
204KB, 1024x680px
Can someone give me list of parts I would need to swap the front fascia of a capri to an '89 foxbody other than the hood, fenders, and bumper? Mind you I would be working with an experienced mechanic when completing this swap.

>inb4 just get a capri
>>
File: 1440981985151.png (130KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
1440981985151.png
130KB, 450x300px
so the plastic housing that held up my fuel hoses got ripped away or fell off. I ziptied them back to the remaining hardware and it's holding well but i'd like something better to protect them. Short of fabricating my own housing (what i will probably end up doing when it's not rainy) does anybody have any tips?

>tfw you're ziptying your fuel lines to the unibody laying in a parking lot and some dicknuts walking by decides to comment "THAT'S HOW YOU COMMIT SUICIDE."
>>
Anyone have experience with a 1st gen Mazda 6? I've heard that the V6 versions are a pain to work on, what about the I4s?
>>
File: 61N4TNZxLXL._SL1000_.jpg (66KB, 1000x310px) Image search: [Google]
61N4TNZxLXL._SL1000_.jpg
66KB, 1000x310px
Currently using a Pioneer DEH-X3600UI head unit and was wondering how would I format my USB flash drive for playback. I would usually dump all my music in thinking that it would play in order like I see it on my computer but it plays at random.
Also, are pioneer head units like the ones I have swappable? For instance if I wanted to get a Bluetooth single-din to replace the one I am currently using.
>>
File: spoiler.jpg (16KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
spoiler.jpg
16KB, 640x480px
Would it be a good idea to put a spoiler/wing on my car if I like to take corners fast or would it not matter/be worth on a street car? Don`t really mind if it looks like a ricer car.
>>
>>14045910
Yes. You need 3 stacked on top of each other for better turning capabilities. You can put one on your hood as well.
>>
>>14045910
Not worth it / fairly useless on a street car.

If you're at willow springs and going through turn 8 at 120mph, yeah it's gonna help. But at typical touge speeds it's doing very little.

Plus it's all about balance. They really need to be matched with a front spoiler and splitter.
>>
I'm currently transitioning my car from regular fuel to e85 are there any nuances I need to be privy to? I only drive it on the weekend and only sometimes
>>
File: 20151214_164347 (1).jpg (256KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
20151214_164347 (1).jpg
256KB, 720x1280px
please halp /o/

>88 aw11 mr2
>trying to fix a leak in my distributor
>half ass it all sorts of ways because muh first diy
>go to put it back in
>just shove it back
>surprise surprise shit cranks but doesn't start
>ask qtddtot, some anon gives me some reading
>go back and actually hand crank car to Top Dead Center and put distributor in exact n smoothly
>crank car and it starts faster than any car i've ever been in, less than half a second and it's breathing again
>i feel ecstatic
>slight smoke rising out of engine near distributor area and it's "sputtering" rather quickly
>figure that's just it needing a timing obviously and the smoke is just the result of it being fucking cold out plus it doesn't smell particularly acrid
>decide to warm it up
>start to go in reverse for two seconds
>everything dies
>no electricity, only sporadic life from door light

how bad did i fuck up /o/? what damage did i cause and how do i start tackling this to repair it?

still not sure if the smoke was catastrophic error or just rising heat but i'm taking the distributor out tomorrow to examine it

pic related is what my simple ass was working with
>>
>>14046137
im that anon.
it's running shit because the timing is probably still way off. having it at tdc just makes it so it will start. then you have to use a timing light to get it back to spec.

you cant drive it without setting the timing which is why it died. you can do this roughly by sound, but you dont know what youre doing so you need a timing light.

then probably the batt is dead from cranking too much.

do you have a service manual? changing a distributor is actually pretty complicated for a first time diy and impossible without a timing light if you didn't mark the cap and rotor before removing them. you need to know the factory spec for idle timing.

its hard to say really because i cant see the car, and i have no idea what you did, but yeah. as long as you follow the directions in the service manual for installing a new distributor and then set the timing with a light it should be fine.

the smoke might just be because you fucked the seal up, i really don't know its hard to diagnose something like this on the internet.
>>
>>14046137
>>14046354
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHX1yXVyIMg [Embed]

maybe this will make it easier. the part about starting from scratch starts at 1 minute.
>>
>>14046354

Thanks a fuckton anon you've given me hope.

I have the timing light + instructions ready. I was over eager and didn't want to wait to do the timing since it was already dark. Plus the instructions made it seem like you could in fact drive it in that state but i was in the wrong obviously.

The battery and electronics functioning shouldn't have anything to do with the distributor right? As in would its imploding even cause the car to turn off? I'll give the battery some juice tomorrow and hopefully the lack of power is the battery and not some other convoluted fuckery so i can go ahead with the timing. During the day the smoke situation will be clearer too i imagine.

Thanks again.
>>
>>14046456
I don't think so. I honestly don't really know shit about mechanical distributors, I've only set timing on one once and that was when I switched from points to digital ignition.

But, I marked my shit first before I took it out so I never had to do what you're doing.

I'm just trying to help the best I can. Once you grasp whats actually happening it's easy, though.

>assuming your engine turns clockwise
>cylinder 1 at tdc
>rotor goes in, tightened, rotor done.
>cap goes on with at least one of the plugs/points exactly where the rotor circuit thing is.. that's your cylinder one set at tdc
>then you connect the rest of the spark wires clockwise in the correct firing order. >now they are all at tdc. but, tdc is shit right?
>so we have to retard the whole cap by ~6-10deg or w/e it is for your car. you can do that by just turning it counter clockwise.

you can do that with the car running, you will hear it run better as you turn the cap. but to set it accurate youll have to use the light.
>>
File: 1449975434984.jpg (88KB, 718x460px) Image search: [Google]
1449975434984.jpg
88KB, 718x460px
>>14046641

Thanks I appreciate your willingness to explain it to me. Here's the guide i'm going to use to set the timing:

http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/timing/timing.html

both the repair manual and the guide make it seem pretty simple without going into the rotor or spark plugs. They only talk about advancing and retarding the timing by adjusting the distributor without getting into the spark plugs or rotor. Does it seem clean and in depth enough? It seems pretty simple so sorry if i'm confusing your instructions with an explanation of how the system functions as it does. I'll be using a timing light of course.
>>
>>14047069

fuck i'm repeating myself a lot.

basically what i'd like to know is if you think the information and instruction in that guide is sufficient or if i should take a closer look at that video and its info on spark plugs among other things
>>
$4000 for a pristine condition 1981 civic, should I go for it?
>>
>>14047069
Yeah, looks normal. I'm way too tired to actually read it, but it's the same for all cars.

The rotor is the little thing inside distributor it rotates independently. If your #1 cylinder is at TDC or at least really close, you drop your distributor in, that rotor is now locked in that position with the cam, line up your cap so that one of the little metal pointy shits is lined up with the copper contact point of that rotor. The one you lined up with it is now your #1 sparkplug terminal. Because thats the cylinder we used when we set to TDC, make sense?

then from that one you connect the rest of the wires, clockwise from the first one, 1-3-4-2 is the firing order. because as the cam rotates.. its gonna rotate that rotor and its gonna pass all the other little sparkplug metal thingings completing the circuit to spark them.

but we dont want that rotor to pass the little metal shits right at tdc, we want it to pass them before tdc, so we rotate the whole distributor counter clockwise so it hits them earlier. make sense? that's advancing the timing.

once its set and youve checked it with the light you tighten the distributor and youre good to go.
its actually really simple principle and once you do it once youll get it and it will be easy from then on.

goodluck
>>
>>14047159

That makes perfect sense now. I understand the idea and the only thing I'm unsure of is how exactly I would line up the rotor to a particular metal bit on the cap when the rotor (the whole piece from gear to rotor) and the housing (to which the cap only attaches to one way) are both lined up via dimples when inserted and so (if the repair manual is followed) can only be inserted in one way. I'm guessing this is intended so people like me don't have to guess and adjust at where the rotor points by only having it one way? I'm hoping that's the case but I'll check the consistency with the spark plug order to make sure.

Here's the page from the manual to illustrate what I mean

http://www.toyotaguru.us/mr2-mk1-1989-aw11-repair/install-distributor.html

You saved my sunday and my monday nights. Cheers anon.
>>
>>14047425
just makes it easier to line everything up and have all the wires be the right length i guess. if thats the way it says def do it that way.
>>
File: ghgfa.jpg (13KB, 254x198px) Image search: [Google]
ghgfa.jpg
13KB, 254x198px
500 and an afternoon is an exaggeration obviously , but I am in the process of ordering a BNR32( canada) and also have been shoppping around for LS1's
I have acouple thousand saved up well as a few freinds with wrenching experience, How fucked/not fucked am I?
>>
>>14047569
>things that'll never happen
>>
>>14047574
I have already pulled the trigger anon. Watch me.
>>
getting work done on my yota tomorrow.
valve cover gasket replacement, new plugs, and some seal in my rear differential is leaking onto my brakes, so thats getting replaced. They said that I might as well replace the bearings too while they were in there. top it all off with a coolant flush.
its gonna cost $2200
did i do bad?
>>
What cars do the shorter people of /o/ drive?

I'm talking 5'5" and under
>>
>>14047611
if your wheel bearings arent bad you dont need new ones.
thats where a significant portion of that cost in labor is coming from.
>>
>>14043634
How much will a 2016 f-type deprecate in 5years?
>>
As someone who wants a reasonable sports car for city commuting, why not the genesis coupe? It looks so appealing to me but something has me holding back and I don't know why.
>>
>>14047611
>>14047687
120k miles btw
>>
>>14047729
test drive it

>>14047708
>predict the future for me /o/
>>
>>14047729
Shit build quality

Hyundai reliability

Having to drive a fucking Hyundai every day

370z, ecoboost mustang, BRZ or Miata if you can deal with two seats would be better IMO
>>
File: bodyheatmapemotions.png (382KB, 624x467px) Image search: [Google]
bodyheatmapemotions.png
382KB, 624x467px
>Car runs like shit when it's warm out (>50degrees F)
>Car runs great when its cold out (<35 degrees F)

Why is this and how do I make it not run like shit when it's warm out?
>>
My 97 Miata just started making a god awful sound after it's last oil change, some kind of scraping/grinding noise that only happens when the engine is under load. If I clutch in and just coast there's nothing, but if it's in gear and I'm pressing the accelerator it starts. So far as I can tell the car runs fine besides that, and I double checked everything from the oil change (drain plug/filter/oil level etc.) and it all seemed normal. Anyone know what might be wrong?
>>
Should I invest in performance exhaust for my DD shitbox? Same price as normal and the original is on its way out
>>
File: 5996685327.jpg (76KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
5996685327.jpg
76KB, 640x480px
>>14045921
Is 2 good enough?
>>
How would a supercharger effect mpgs on a daily driver? Not a super powerful 1, but one big enough for a blower.
>>
>>14048134
It's not going to make any difference power-wise unless the car was extremely restricted from the factory, plus you look like a tool if it's just an average econobox. I'd recommend just going OEM.
>>
My car's left turn signal lights are blinking super fucking fast, both the ones in the front, the back, and the arrow on the dashboard. All the lights on the right are perfectly fine. What gives?
>>
>>14048262

Change the bulb retard
>>
>>14047124
No
>>
>>14048262
It's a way the manufacturer thought of to tell retards like you to CHANGE THE FUCKING BULB
>>
$3000 for a 2005 Mazda 6 (2.3L) with just under 90k miles. Everything seems to be in good shape. Go for it?
>>
>>14048280
>>14048293

Wait, so I have to change the front and back bulbs then? Why is the flashing for the light on the dashboard the same as the one on the back?
>>
>>14048330
Seems suspiciously low desu, I'd have a mechanic give it a once over before pulling the trigger.
>>
>>14048337

are you literally retarded?
>>
>>14048351
yeah, maybe. You got a problem with retards asking stupid questions on your autism/o/ board?
>>
>>14048350
10k miles a year is low but reasonable.

The Carproof says:
03/13/2009: 50k
11/04/2011: 60k
>>
I know it sounds literally retarded, but:
>How do I clean my windscreen?

I used the stuff I use on the mirrors in my home, which is alcohol-based I think. It left rainbow-colored smears on the windscreen, which disappeared as they dried. But now, my windscreen fogs over really fast, and I have to run the heater and blower on full blast to avoid it.
>>
>>14048373
I meant the price, assuming it is in good working order with only 90k miles for a 2005 $3000 seems low.
>>
>>14048393
Actually I seem to have severely misjudged how much a 2005 Mazda 6 would be worth, $3000 for 90k miles still seems like a good deal though
>>
>>14048357
One of your blinker bulbs is burnt out and not working anymore (let's say it's the front left one).
Because the wire in the bulb is broken, all the current now runs through your other bulb (the rear one) when you indicate left.
The changed resistance is noticed by your car (don't ask me how) and it ereacts by letting the still working bulb and the light on your dash blink faster.

>turn on your left indicator
>get out of the car
>walk around it
>check which blinker is malfunctioning
>take it to a certified dealer to have the bulb replaced, cause you might fuck something up if you attempt this yourself.
>>
>>14048405
thanks, I'll check it out in the morning.
>>
>>14047729
>ut something has me holding back and I don't know why.

Probably because it's a fucking Hyundai. None of Hyundai's sports lineup are fast or agile, just faster and more agile than their economy cars. Genesis Coupe sure does look nice though. It has zero aftermarket, so you can't even make it fast without going to extremes.
>>
>>14047971
Pls respond
>>
How much do mechanics usually charge for a general inspection / diagnosis for a car? The car seems to be in great shape and was a steal for it's price/condition so I bought it, but I want to get it looked over just in case anyways so I know if there's a problem I've overlooked that'll pop up in my ass later.
>>
>>14048422

Did you filter your new oil or just dump it in straight from the bottle?
>>
>>14048425
100 bucks typically
>>
>>14048401
There's a few others in the 3000-4000 range near me. I went to see one for 2750, but it was a piece of shit.
>>
Would it be stupid for me to buy an 06 Infiniti G35 Coupe for the purposes of installing a Vayder wide body kit on it?

Anyone have experience with this?
>>
>>14048429
I've always just poured it straight from the bottle, didn't know you were supposed to do anything otherwise. I just remembered though, when filling it up I spilled a bit that got onto the valve cover and subsequently the rubber spark plug caps. That could have definitely fucked something up, no?
>>
>>14048529

You should always filter it. You never know what else could have wound up in the bottle.

> I just remembered though, when filling it up I spilled a bit that got onto the valve cover and subsequently the rubber spark plug caps. That could have definitely fucked something up, no?

No, other than smelling bad.
>>
Who is dagumi?

I don't watch initial d but i know that the main character's name is takumi and he delivers tofu

ive seen "dagumi tofuboy" so im guessing it's another name for takumi?
>>
/o/, my company's ready to give me a 15' Subaru Legacy and I have been watching so many reviews and user reports on it. The people seem to like the car a lot.

I just want to know what is /o/'s opinion on this car. Should I go for it?

Or should I go for the other option which they are giving, a 15' Camry?

I love this review : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BId7ZjJWA4s

I am gonna test-drive the Legacy tomorrow.
>>
File: Untitled.png (303KB, 968x410px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
303KB, 968x410px
I'm in the market for a DD with a bit of personality, I've looked around to see what my city has to offer and at first glace I came up with this.

Judging by what I like what can /o/ recommend?
2+2 is a must, if not I'd go for a miata
>>
How expensive would it be to make a car 4wd if possible at all? Car is a 99 explorer
>>
Should I buy a C43 AMG?
>>
>>14045910
If it is RWD then , yeah of course it would help ond a fwd but mot as much
>>
How much of a pain in the ass is it to replace a wheel stud? One snapped off when I was changing tires today (The idiots who installed them overtightened it).

2009 Hyundai Accent. It's my parents' car, which I'm driving for the next 4 days.
>>
>>14047124
yes
>>
>>14049719
id go for the 200sx personally
>>
>>14047124

Its a 35 year old civic, of course not for four grand thats absurd
>>
>>14048387

Get invisible glass, its the best product in the world. They gave one that comes in a can and one in a bottle, the bottle one is shit only the can varient that spits foam works well.

First clean the dirt off than hit it with it some invisible glass and it will look amazing.
>>
>>14049561

Subaru x100
>>
>>14051028
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX9te2iFH3E

bretty easy. Some girl even makes you dinner while you do it
>>
>>14044202
Thats probably about it. You may need the piece that holds all the headlights, its another bar type piece that goes behind the... headlights
>>
>>14046406
that hair

You know hes a pro looking like that
>>
>>14051182
I think it's the most sane option, although I think I'll never be happy without a 944. It's the car oI compare every other car to.
What are reasons not to buy a 944?
The owner at least said I can strip it apart to fond any imperfections for a whole day before buying.
Will places be more expensive than the S13?
>>
>>14051404
Hardest part for my car seems to be removing the caliper.
>>
>>14047611
That leak is probably making the bearings see a lot of wear.
If you're doing work at the dealer they'll be making notes on your work order with everything that they discuss with you. If you don't get new bearings and a month later the same seal goes out and you need a new diff they'll just laugh and tell you to listen next time.
A lot of recommendations are made because the shop/company/brand requires them in certain situations as a preventative.

$2200 isn't bad, you're probably extending the life of your vehicle by a minumum of 30,000 miles just with this stuff alone
>>
>>14052483
why would the seal go bad again. it makes no sense to do bearings when you dont need them.

if the bearings go bad in 2 months so what. youre only out the cost of the seal.

its an outer axle seal or a hub seal. you dont have to touch the bearings to change a seal.
>>
Pls halp /o/. My 1987 mr2's brake lights turn on but don't light up when the brake pedal is depressed. Replaced the brake light switch today and still nothing. Fuse is good btw. What else might this be? Starting to get frustrating

>>14046137
Funny, i also just finished changing out my aw11s dizzy today. Shit literally died in the middle of the road last night, pulled the cap off and it was filled with copper wire lol. Anon that answered you is right, get a timing light
>>
if you get a used car still under its original factory warranty, if it needs repairs can you go to any repairshop with its brand?

i.e. if i buy a used car that's a 4 hr drive to get, do I have to go back that distance if something goes wrong?
>>
I've found a toyota celica ra40 1980 online that I'm looking to buy. I'm going out to inspect it tonight and was wondering, is there anything in particular I should look for with this model of car? I'm not really a car guy just wanted to know some potential common problems.
>>
>>14053419
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1097805207
Is the link if you want to look at it.
>>
>>14052682

Any dealership can perform warranty work, you don't have to go back to whatever dealership sold it or the town you bought it from or anything like that. The head office will reimburse the dealership/franchisee.
>>
Do peoe commonly port aftermarket throttle bodies, or should I just upgrade to the next highest common size?

Tb in question is a nick Williams 92mm on an ls motor. As I understand it is Cnc'd already so would it show any gains from porting or is it already pretty much the best it can be?
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 680x578px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 680x578px
My car is stuttering and backfiring at high throttle/high RPM. Today, it also began to run kind of oddly (stuttering) for a couple of seconds after I hit a large bump in the road while accelerating. What the fuck is it? Coil packs? TPS? I don't fucking know what I'm talking about?
Mazdaspeed6 with a motor swap btw
(Same 2.3L as stock)
>>
>>14049307
answer my question bitch boys
>>
>>14049561
Who honestly in the right mind would go for a Camry when you have a glorious AWD car as an option?
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-12+at+04.15.19).jpg (313KB, 1198x907px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-12+at+04.15.19).jpg
313KB, 1198x907px
Hey guys,

My '05 Liberty 2.5i was throwing a p0032 code so I changed over the front o2 sensor. After resetting the code, it just throws it again after being on for 5 minutes. All my fuses are fine and I'm out of ideas.
Any advice? Ideas?
>>
>>14055435
Did Google ban you from using it's services?
>>
>>14047708
Like a Camry.
>>
>>14047855
>ecoboost mustang
this has 4 seats m8
>>
File: genesis-g90-limousin-10_800x0w.jpg (85KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
genesis-g90-limousin-10_800x0w.jpg
85KB, 800x451px
>>14047729
>but something has me holding back and I don't know why
Just wait for Hyundai's Luxury marque to come up, the Genesis. Also, they have the signs that show the brand's future upcoming.
>>
>>14055586
Is that the only o2 sensor it has?
>>
>>14055632
It has a rear as well
>>
>ITT: only the most basic questions with info already available on the internet.

>>14044519
>I always end up answering myself.
get some of that wire wrap stuff when you re-do the lines to keep them protected. No off-roading.
>>14045479
No xp but I4s are always easier to work on than V6s
>double the labor for any engine work like head gasket replacement or even spark plug removal
>>14045717
Use folders, it should play in alphabetical order, make sure your shuffle is off.
>can i swap head units?
probably not but you could try. try getting wiring diagrams of different units and see if they match up with yours, if they do it "should" work.
>>
>>14055084
>I don't fucking know what I'm talking about?
confirmed.
check your throttle cable first, then check your spark, fuel, and air, then check your timing. Does it throw a check engine light? have you looked for people with similar symptoms as yours on car forums with google?

Could be:
*fuel pump/fuel injectors/fuel filter (seems most likey if your car is jerky after angle changes like hitting a bump)
*air filter
*spark plugs/rotor/distributor
*check throttle cable

>>14054077
Yes, but the labor cost (unless you do it yourself) may be prohibitive and going a size up may be a cheaper option. call your local engine shop and get a quote.
>>
>>14050518
expensive. just buy a 4wd exploder and transfer good stuff off 2wd exploder, it will be cheaper.

>>14050524
Yes.

>>14048450
would it be stupid?
No.
>any xp?
No.

>>14048151
>will a device run directly off the crankshaft affect my mpgs?
Yes.

>>14046003
it's more caustic so check your fuel lines and fuel filter regularly. if your vehicle is designed for it you should be good, check your owners manual it will have specific info for your vehicle. mine specifically says never use more than 10% ethanol.
>>
So today, I was changing my oil, and when I took off the filler cap, I saw this mustard-colored blob of something that smelled like decomposing lettuce. I suspect that this is an oil-eating bacterial colony, but I'm not sure. I it cleaned off as much as I could, but is this going to be a problem?
>>
>>14055634
Changed the wrong one doofus.
>>
My '03 Focus has a rough idle and "skips" forward (like a pigeon's head) idling in 1st gear.
It also has a rough, Diesel-like sound.

Can this be caused by malfunctioning spark plugs?
Please let it be spark plugs.
>>
>>14057220
It's oil plus water plus cold temps.
Pretty common on cars that are used for short trips in winter.
>>
>>14057220
>sees oil emulsion
>thinks it's bacteria
top kek
If your engine oil didn't look like a milkshake i wouldn't worry about it.

>>14057255
>"skips" forward (like a pigeon's head)
wat.

sounds like a misfire (which could be sparkplugs) or timing issue, or you could have filled up at the station the day the truck came/ gotten bad gas. It could also have a blocked air filter. I would do a basic tune-up; plugs, maybe plug wires if they're 10+yrs old, distributor cap and rotor replacement, air filter replacement, change the pcv valve, change the oil if it needs it, and throw a bottle of dollar tree fuel injector cleaner, gas treatment, octane booster, whatever, it's all just methanol which is hydrophilic and it will help remove excess water from your fuel system.
>>
File: Fire_in_the_sky_HDR_1920x1080.jpg (462KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Fire_in_the_sky_HDR_1920x1080.jpg
462KB, 1920x1080px
how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
>>
>>14056931
Thanks m8. I won't act like I'm well educated about this shit because I'm not. I have a rudimentary understanding of all this. I have checked the forums... The stutter is a common issue caused by coil packs or improperly gapped spark plugs. I have not heard of anybody having the bump-and-freak-out issue though.
I ruined a MAF a few weeks ago and replaced it. Could I have fucked up the connector or something?
>>
>>14056931
Also didn't say... I do have a check engine light in for running rich, and my cabin air fuel gauge indicates I'm running rich all the fucking time too.
>>
I have a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer. I took it out of town the other day for a long distance driver and by the end of the trip it was idling rough and now it will start but not stay running.

It's had some issues starting in the past, It will turn over for a while before starting occasionally.

What do you guys think? Vacuum leak? Fuel pump? It does sound like it may have a vacuum leak but i can't find it. Even with smoke.
>>
>>14057252
but but but

The p0032 says it's the upstream sensor, before the cat.
>>
Long story short im an idiot /o/
Accidentaly drove car with no oil heard a loud POP car shut off..i got oil in it it fired back up but will only go as fast as the car rolls in auto mode. what did i do to my gfs car?
>>
>>14058304
Head gasket? Sounds like you've overheated it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (6KB, 329x294px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6KB, 329x294px
I'm fixing up my 90s megane after somebody crashed the fuck out of it and ran off.
Fixed all the laks but this light hasn't gone out, any idea what it means? electrical fault? could it be because I'm missing lights?

Also my stearing is really shaky and vibrates alot, ideas?
>>
I also have an AW11. Ever since it got cold whenever I start the car it makes some weird squeaking noise. I can't tell what the fuck it is. It sounds like some fan near the front or maybe a belt. Any ideas? Only does it when it's cold and even then not all the time
>>
File: 1430886658578.jpg (10KB, 348x326px) Image search: [Google]
1430886658578.jpg
10KB, 348x326px
>>14058315
Fuggg..i was thiking this to.. i feel REALLY fuckin stupid but the temp gauge litteraly was at normal levels so i dident think much of it.
>>
>>14058322
also what should I do to test if this car is roadsafe? I don't want to drive myself into a grave, I'm not sure a crashed car is exactly reliable.
>>
>>14058328
Could be a slipping fan belt.

>>14058322
One of your front wheels is fucky. Whether it's the tyre or your alignment or the way it's been attached. Try losening both front wheels off and putting them back on again to reseat them.

>>14058330
At least that's the kinda mistake you're only likely to make once because you feel so dumb about it. Coulda been worse. You could have seized the engine.
>>
>>14058358
Yeah..i am 100% not pulling any fuckin retard shit like that again
>>
File: 87fieroGT.jpg (2MB, 2864x1304px) Image search: [Google]
87fieroGT.jpg
2MB, 2864x1304px
what is /o/'s opinion on fieros? Just trying to get a shitbox car to work on and is fun to drive.
>>
File: 1439723705817.jpg (15KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1439723705817.jpg
15KB, 225x225px
>>14058358
>changing a subaru headgasket
Enjoy the hell
>>
Did that one kid ever get his distributor and timing set.
>>
>>14058358
>One of your front wheels is fucky.
I'll take them off and fiddle about and put them back on tomorrow, but that is the shaking, right? not the light.
>>
>>14058497
Yep. Hopefully nothing's been bent.
Not a clue about your mystery light though.
>>
What are some things to watch out for when buying a used Miat? Looking at 94-03 models
>>
>>14058528
>Hopefully nothing's been bent.
Probably has since the fucker drove in to my side.
How will I know if anything is too badly bent? And how will this affect driving, I haven't driven over 60Km7h but when moving the car handles sorta ok.
Also direction feels weird, maybe stiffer?
Thanks for the help.
>>
How do I become a "car guy" /o/?
I'm new to this board but I'm really interested in learning how to work on cars and do the kind of things I see here.

It's all so daunting though. To make matters worse I'm incredibly intimidated by things I don't understand, and I don't understand cars yet.
>>
>>14059236
Read about cars. It helps to own one.
I got into it when I started wrenching on my motorcycle, because they're basically just half of a car and you don't need to spend much on equipment to work on them.

It also helped that I owned a rotary engine'd car that blew up, and my mechanic buddy helped me rebuild it which really explained how a lot of things work under the bonnet.

If you already own a car - go and change the oil yourself. Look up a how-to for your make and model and just change it one day. Lots of car maintenance is just changing old things with new things - and engines are pretty simple once you wrap you head around it, one step at a time.
>>
>>14043634
Whenever shift gears I get a little resistance. It doesn't grind gears but requires force to be put in. What could be wrong with my tranny ?
>>
>>14058383
Well they are the go to car when you want a Ferrari
>>
>>14059281
Thanks brother, I do own a car, so I'll start with the oil change like you mentioned.
>>
>>14059377
Make sure you use car stands!
>>
>>14047855
>>14048420
This. Don't degrade yourself to driving a fucking Hyundai.

God I'd rather cut my cock off with a dull knife than drive a Hyundai.
>>
>>14059387
Oh right I hadn't even thought about that, they seem cheap enough according to Google I'll stop by Auto Zone or something.
>>
File: dafuq.jpg (46KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dafuq.jpg
46KB, 800x600px
Looking at this 4Runner on Autotrader, all is well.

Then I see this picture of the gauge cluster...what the fuck? Did this dildo have an engine fire or something? What would cause the plastic to bubble up underneath the cover lens like that, other than extreme heat of some kind?
>>
>>14047124
does it have $3000 in the trunk?
>>
Financing question here:

I'm 22, just graduated college, and have had one credit card for about a year now. However, with various other loans, and my rental history, my credit score itself is 725 currently. What kind of rates would I be looking at for a used or new car? Even though my score is good, my history is super short.

inb4 "buy a used shitbox, depreciation new cars are shit" whatever. I'm a mechanical engineer, working and making decent money. And I'm saving and shit. I just want to know a ballpark figure for rates, since all the advice online is "its all about your credit score". But I know that time matters too.
>>
File: oi2.jpg (85KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
oi2.jpg
85KB, 620x349px
>>14059599

TOP LEL
>>
>>14059583
prob just sat in the sun and boiled
>>
File: 300zx dash.jpg (65KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
300zx dash.jpg
65KB, 1024x768px
>>14059611

Regardless of credit score, your age and lack of credit history alone would dictate your rate. You'd be fortunate to get a rate below 7%, probably somewhere closer to 9-10%.

Sorry lad. Should've taken out a credit card(s) way sooner, and put some other stuff in your name. I was 23 when I graduated university, but I'd had a credit card since I was 18. I used it regularly and paid it off on time. I also had a number of bills (cable, internet, phone) in my name, and I paid rent in my own name.

Even with all of that, I was getting rates around 10% WITH a down payment of about 10-15% of purchase price. See if someone can co-sign for you, should lower your rate by a few percent.
>>
>>14059650

But it's a Canadian car. I could *MAYBE* see this happening on the hottest day in Arizona if there was a solar flare and they tested a nuclear warhead down the street. But not a vehicle that's lived in Ontario its whole life.
>>
>summer here
>go for 2 minute drive to shops and back cranking air con full speed
>start car up again and head back out for a drive
>no air coming through any vents
>turn AC button on and off, can hear compressor kicking from engine in but still no air
>mess with vent settings, speed, temps, fan only, all seem to "work" and can hear hissing changing vents so it still has gas (from what I've read online anyway)
>check Blower relay fuses both under dash and under hood, both seem fine

Any way to test if these relay fuses are broken without a multimeter or anything else I should check before I rip the dash off to see if the blower motor itself has failed?
>>
File: infiniti_bubbling_dash.jpg (34KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
infiniti_bubbling_dash.jpg
34KB, 640x480px
>>14059650

>tell me Infiniti makes as good a car as Lexus or Acura
>tell me
>I want to hear you say it

Nissan """""""""""""""""""""""""""luxury""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>14059653
What a sexy dash.
>>
>>14059653

Ouch. I mean all my bills, and rent, and student loans have been in my name since i was 18. I guess I'll just wait a while, take out another credit card and just wait. I don't feel comfortable borrowing over 8%
>>
>>14059664
so, if the sun hits it right through the windows and the dash plastic it's like a magnifying glass in an oven
>>
File: 1437405375471.png (293KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1437405375471.png
293KB, 640x360px
>>14059686
>>
>>14059555
Car stands, a strap wrench, spare oil filter to suit, and oil to suit.

Can't stress car stands enough. You've got better things to do than die underneath your car when it falls on you because the jack failed.
>>
>>14059703

You shouldn't borrow more than that, not at your age. Until you land a good, stable job, you should just be looking for something cheap and reliable. Fancy and fun can wait. I'm 26 now, still a student, and drive a base model RAV4. BUT if I'd started working full time right out of university, I could probably have financed something much nicer by now. Simple and reliable suits my needs right now.

Look at some Elantras or Mazda3's, you can find decent value for less money. Civics are good too, but they'll cost you more on purchase and insurance. They're commonly stolen vehicles, insurance companies like to rape people on Civics now. They used to be fairly cheap.

>>14059710

Google says this is a known issue on older 4Runners, probably some jewish cost-cutting measure Toyota tried for a few years.
>>
File: where are your jackstands m8.jpg (103KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
where are your jackstands m8.jpg
103KB, 1280x960px
>>14059733

Jack stands are fine, but you don't really need them if you've got a baby.
>>
File: 1421624951343.jpg (12KB, 201x195px) Image search: [Google]
1421624951343.jpg
12KB, 201x195px
>>14059773
That's fucked up.
Speaking of jacks, do I need a garage jack or will the scissor jack in my trunk work fine for "becoming a car guy"?
>>
>>14059800
Scissor jack will do the job initially. You're only lifting it up onto car stands, after all.

Eventually you'll get sick and tired of winding and buy one that's easier/faster.
>>
>>14059800
Get a floor jack m8 you can still put it in the trunk if you want.
>>
>>14059773
kek it looks like the baby's arm is severly deformed and adult-sized because of the angle
>>
>>14059800

Scissor jack will make you work twice as hard, because it usually only works from one of the balanced jacking-up points on the sides of the vehicle. Meaning you'd have to jack up the right side, put a stand under, then let the jack down. Then go over to the other side, jack it up, put in the stand, and take the jack out. Hydraulic lever/bottle jack lets you jack it up from the centre-front or centre-rear of the vehicle, and slide the stands in on either side. Plus it's way easier and more comfortable. I bought one for $40 on sale, came with 2 jack stands. Really worthwhile to buy one. The widowmaker that came in the trunk of your car is fine for now, but a proper jack is one of the first things you ought to invest in.
>>
>>14059814
>>14059823
>>14059833
Understood.
I'll try a few really basic projects like changing the oil and what have you first with the widowmaker so I can get an appreciation for how much of a pain in my ass it is.

Then I'll look for a good sale because alot of the ones I found on google are 70-100 dollars
>>
>>14059765

>I'm a mechanical engineer, working and making decent money

I'm guessing you didn't read my initial post. That being said, thanks for the car advice. However, I'm more in the market for a used outback, wrx or forester, because girlfriend, dog, and offroad adventures. And I'm not wondering for a new fancy car, more just wondering how much car I could finance if I wanted.
>>
Something I've never understood
Why do autotrans always have tachometers from factory, but not all manuals do?
Why do automatics need one at all, it's not like you're useing it to see when you need to shift??
>>
>91 Toyota Celica GT
>238k miles
>family friend giving it to me as a "gift" (in the legal sense)
>$1300

What are some common problems I should look out for? Is this a good buy?
>>
>>14059916
You'll learn the first time. Make sure you follow safety precautions.
>>
>>14060601
It's old, rubber will be fucked, she's gonna need a rebuild soon, change the oil straight off, along with the transmission oil/fluid. Start replacing all the bushings.
>>
>>14059611
Don't listen to that faggot. I've had a credit card for 8 months and have paid a phone bill since March. I have a 705 credit score and got a 6.34% on a 48 month loan.
>>
File: DSC_0014.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0014.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
this small air pipe that connects to a 2 inch wide black box that is located under the bonnet near the windscreen on the passangers side is snapped and I get a zigzag light fault on my car. What does this do and how do I fix?
>>
Would a battery tested at 540CCA cause any problems if it's rated at 590CCA?
Posted in the their thread but I'm having some starting issues and I think it might be the battery

When I start muh truck, it'll crank to what seems like halfway at 850-1000 RPM, kind of just linger there for maybe a second, then crank all the way to about 2k like it would normally do

It doesn't charge all the way, up to 12.38V
Not at home currently but going to test the voltage after it's been off for about 16 hours and see what it's at

Any ideas, though? The battery is over 5 years old so could there be any internal issues that an advance auto load test won't pick up?
>>
>>14061308
When the truck is on, the alternator does charge it up to about 13.5
>>
>>14061308
yeah get battery load tested at an auto sparky mane, assuming its a regular lead/acid battery 5years is around their lifespan
>>
If I run a boost controller on my ecoboost mustang but don't upgrade the turbo, is there any reason I would need to upgrade the MAF or run an atmospheric BOV? I mean, I assume the stock sensors shouldn't bottleneck at stock capable boost levels, right?
>>
>>14061051
bump?
>>
I'm thinking of converting from auto to manual for my 07 Pontiac g6. First, I'd like to know if it's worth it. I don't plan on buying a new car for a few years and I want it to be a manual, which is why I'd like to convert now.

Second, about how much do you guys think it'd cost? I know virtually nothing about cars, so I couldn't do it myself, but I do have some friends that do know about cars. Any information is appreciated.
>>
>>14061488
I don't know your car in particular, but make sure to get all the parts you need.

>gearbox, of course
>stick
>linkage between stick and gearbox (if any)
>flywheel probably
>clutch pack (friction plate, spring plate, throwout bearing)
>clutch pedal
>clutch cable or pedal pump + oil lines + probably brake fluid reservoir
>various sensors, connectors and wires

Tips: make sure the gearbox was originally rated for the engine you have, same thing with the clutch. This also implies that the gearbox bellhousing fits perfectly on the engine, otherwise you will probably need to make an adapter flange.

You will probably need some electric/electronic work, because automatics are ridden with electronic controls which will probably throw a bunch of alarms on your dash when you remove them. So at best you need to reprogram some control module, at worst you need different modules and a bunch of new wires.

I'm probably forgetting something tho.
>>
>>14060672
Yeah I agree that other guy sounded way off.
Federal rates are still at 0% to encourage big purchases like this so it's an incredible time to borrow money.

Or did they finally go through with that rate hike and I just missed it?
>>
>>14061624
I financed my mustang for 6 years at 0% earlier this year and I'm only 24 with mediocre credit. They literally are handing out money for free right now.
>>
File: image.jpg (169KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
169KB, 1080x1080px
Where can I find this cloth material found on the door card of this photograph?
>>
>>14061488
Rough estimates but probably around 1.1-1.4k in parts, labor probably around 2k
>>
File: f-type.jpg (157KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
f-type.jpg
157KB, 1280x853px
>>14043634

I have to say, the new F-type is one of the best looking cars I've seen in a long time. By a long way. It looks fucking awesome.
>>
File: IMG_6322.jpg (350KB, 1680x1120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6322.jpg
350KB, 1680x1120px
>>14045921
>You can put one on your hood as well.

You mean like this?
>>
Should I spend maybe 1000$ fixing my manual Geo metro '94? Has a leak, maybe a bad trans, pulley chirps. I have no job and 1500$ in the bank but will work starting February. Dat 50mpg is so nice... But I'm scared I'm driving something more dangerous than a motorcycle.
What wud u do anon?
>>
>>14043634
Does revving the engine before shutting the car off have any effect at all? I see race cars so it all the time, maybe something to do with oil?
>>
>>14063193
I would fix it myself.

But since you can't do that, I would probably drive that one till it dies while saving money to buy a new one when it does.
>>
>>14063205
I can probably fix it myself next month actually. Want to at least pay a mechanic to verify the problems it has though.
If you could fix it would you keep it?
>>
>>14063172
The new F-Type, as opposed to the old F-Type...?
>>
File: 1447497059585.jpg (366KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1447497059585.jpg
366KB, 1280x853px
Can someone tell me what car this is? I think I have a new dream car after laying eyes on this.
>>
>>14063497
datsun 240z / 260z / 280z
>>
>>14063500
Really? Guess my new car is affordable.
>>
>>14063497
>>14063506
What board are you coming from?
>>
>>14063534
I never owned a car, I have been on 2 wheels for 2 years. Mainly lurk in /dbt/ and browse /ic/ but don't go into other boards. Recently decided to get a car because weather is changing here in california and i don't remember it ever being this cold.
>>
I already made my own thread but no one is fucking talking to me

>>14063243
>>
should I tune my car and later on buy a new intercooler, or buy an intercooler and later on tune my car?

they both cost about $500 and i don't really want to drop a grand at one time
>>
>>14063739
IC first, tune later
>>
>go to replace windshield wiper blade
>trip on slush
>throw blade violently on the floor
The little rotating piece of plastic that keeps the blade on the arm of your windshield wiper fell out. It doesn't look like any plastic blew up, but I can't seem to shove it back in there pls assist will be back w/ pics in a second
>>
>>14063739
you should do both at once..
if you have a wideband you dont have to tune it, just make sure it isnt lean.

I would not spend $500 for some clown to log my car for a simple intercooler change.
I just wouldn't buy the intercooler and instead save for an ecu so I don't have to get c.uckedâ„¢ by a shop

if you're making adjustments to turbo systems you really need to get an ecu that can log and tune on your own.
its not worth the cost of making minor build adjustments and paying $500+ every time.

yes, to get max power you're going to need to dyno tune, but you can at least tune yourself in a case like this when all you're after is making sure it's safe.

do you even need a new intercooler?
>>
>>14063817
i was planning to just get a cobb accessport tuner and doing it myself. i've got an ecoboost mustang and from what i read, the factory intercooler is really not up to the task of sustained load. i like to go through the mountains for hours at a time, so heat management is top priority on my modification list.

i don't have any experience with those handheld tuners though, how much customization would i be capable of doing by myself? for example, if i bolted on a catless downpipe, would i need to get a professional to retune it, or would my unit be capable of managing that by itself?
>>
I'm looking to buy a good, cheap first car. I've heard to stay away from all 90s-ish Hondas because "someone's 17-year-old son though it was hot shit and drove it like a maniac and ran it into the ground." How much truth is there to this statement?

>inb4 read the sticky
I've already looked at it.
>>
>>14063952
The good thing about those fucking Hondas / Toyotas / whatever Nip cars is that they can take being run into the ground and still be a decent DD. If you're looking under $1000, you don't have much choice.

Do you want dem EMM-PEE-GEEs or are you down with anything? I regularly see beat-up trucks go for $1000 or less, with nothing or little mechanically wrong with them.
>>
>>14064066

I don't really care about gas mileage too much, but I can't stand trucks/vans/SUVs. I'm also being told not to look at anything smaller than 6-cylinder engines, preferably get an 8-cylinder. Thoughts on that?
>>
>>14064103
>I'm also being told not to look at anything smaller than 6-cylinder engines, preferably get an 8-cylinder. Thoughts on that?
I can't think of a single reason to avoid 4-cylinder engines on a $1000 shitbox DD.
>>
>>14063854
>i don't have any experience with those handheld tuners though, how much customization would i be capable of doing by myself?
I've never used one. I think they are just map based though arent they? Like you can't make your own maps, it just allows you to flash their maps?

But, whats nice about them is you can get their maps that they've made for all kinds of bolt ons and upgrades.

So like, maybe there might be a map for a catless mustang with x intercooler., idk.

i've only used one type of ecu and tuning software. (ms2/tunerstudio) so i cant be of any help.

but i really doubt that changing intercooler will make a big enough change that the maf wont be able to correct. as long as all its doing is reducing heat soak it shouldnt change the tune. but dont take my word for it.
>>
>>14064103
It's the most retarded shit I've heard today.
If you just need a shitbox to DD for cheap, take whatever you can goddamn well get and be thankful for it. You don't have much of a choice; you're either watching CL waiting for that perfect car to pop up for $1000 and hoofing it in the meantime, or you're driving what you can get.
>>
The steering on my s10 sometimes randomly gets stiff. Like if it has manual steering for a second or something. Its weird. Also only happens when im going slow, or making a really sharp turn
>>
>>14063952
Thanks for the replies. Last question: Thoughts on 90s Lexus sedans?
>>
File: DSC09862.jpg (802KB, 1800x1198px) Image search: [Google]
DSC09862.jpg
802KB, 1800x1198px
Can anyone identify what model HRE wheels these are?
>>
File: 20151217_171905.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20151217_171905.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
I recently got an 89 Bronco II. I noticed the rear end was sagging. When I looked at the suspension I found this. Is this a normal thing that people do?

Also, will the leaf springs from a 94 ranger be suitable to replace these?
>>
is it worth it to clean out the intercooler on a car?

if so, how do I do such a thing?
>>
File: 1429992833257.gif (2MB, 300x176px) Image search: [Google]
1429992833257.gif
2MB, 300x176px
Alright, so I heard a terrible grinding (like something rubbing the tire) on the way home tonight. Get out and check, and there's a groove scratched into the right-front rotor. I've never encountered this before, but I'm assuming I've got a stone or something between the pad and outer rotor.

Is this something I can clear by just removing the wheel and poking out the obstruction, or do you think that I will need to remove the brake pads? I change wheels for summer/winter tires, so that's no biggie but I've never touched brakes and I'll only have 1-2 hours before I head to work (about 45 min travel time, mostly highway) and I don't want to either fuck up my brakes or miss work.

It's a 2006 RSX Type-S, all OEM on wheels/brakes if that helps.
>>
>>14064946
forged "tasteless moron" edition
>>
I'm planning on going to check out a Volvo 240 (1988) and the guy is saying it needs a new fuel pressure sensor, what's it do and how do I install a new one?
>>
What car impresses people the most?
>>
My Shifter on my 986 is kinda stiff, how do i lube the shift linkage at the transmission properly?
>>
>>14065722
amything that normies know costs over $1mil
>>
File: 1446461395349.jpg (85KB, 710x700px) Image search: [Google]
1446461395349.jpg
85KB, 710x700px
>>14057252
If you're still floating around in here..

Yeah I changed the wrong fuckin' sensor.
>>
I'm assembling my engine kit onto my fat tire beach cruiser today.
Is there something I should know or be wary of?
>>
My brother listened to some retarded advice and put Off bugspray on his headlights and he fucking slathered the shit on (while I was literally standing there telling him to buy a product specifically for headlights). It fucking hardened and seemingly fused into the headlight housing. Is there any way to remove that shit or are the headlamps a write-off?
>>
>>14068861
Kill your brother.

No more problemo.
>>
File: 1449804108819.jpg (44KB, 712x528px) Image search: [Google]
1449804108819.jpg
44KB, 712x528px
I believe I have a camshaft bearing issue in my 89 Beretta GT. It also just started leaking antifreeze for some reason. I bought it from a BHPH place less than two weeks ago so I'm already on suicide watch.

How much work / money am I looking at here do you think?
>>
File: pic01.jpg (208KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
pic01.jpg
208KB, 1536x1152px
Would anyone know a good way of mounting a 7 inch tablet in the lower half of the console here where the storage shelves are?
>>
>>14068939
why would you think you have a cam bearing issue
>>
>>14068962

There's a rhythmic clinking noise that increases in speed when I accelerate. Both my father and car friend have guessed camshaft bearing, though they say they could be wrong. Father also guessed piston ring issue.
>>
>>14068971
Could be pretty much anything in the valvetrain, most likely affecting a single valve/spring/retainer rather than a bearing since it's clicking
>>
>>14068988

It still sounds like I have to take almost everything apart.
>>
>>14069046
Not really, those cars are OHV right? Just take the valve covers off and check all the springs, and surfaces where the rods and valves are connected to the rocker arms. If everything looks good still you'll have to take the rocker arms off and look at the lifters.
>>
>>14068971
it's a lot of work, time consuming.
if it's just a bearing and not a cap, it won't be that bad.
but whatever caused the bearing failure isn't just going to go away.

either way it's not a novice diy job and there will be significant labor costs to have someone else do it. probably more than headgasket labor cost.
>>
The oil pressure light in my '98 Golf mk4 1.8 came on today (after a longish drive). It shut off again by itself, but came on again. There's no weird sounds when I drive, and performance is unaffected.

My googling says sludged-full oil return pipe filter, or maybe defect oil pump, is this correct? And if so, how dificult/expensive would this be to fix/get fixed?
>>
Whats a good car to buy as a yuropoor to learn how to fix things?

I'm criminally shit with a spanner for someone who loves cars and something I can have a tinker with for a year or two on the cheap would be good.
>>
>>14069094

Yeah that's why I have car friends with knowledge and a garage. I'd like to avoid huge expenses as much as I can considering it's a $1200 car.

Thanks a lot guys. I'll look into things this weekend for sure.
>>
Should I spend $800 on an upgraded intercooler system, or $800 on a water-methanol cooling system?
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-18+at+10.49.01).jpg (104KB, 1521x868px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-18+at+10.49.01).jpg
104KB, 1521x868px
can you identify a car by this dashboard?
Some sort of SUV or crossover? Like a crv?
>>
How are front downforce need met? Are we limited to wings at the front edge of the bumper?
>>
>>14069532
splitter and canards

the front of a car already has inherent downforce and the rear of a car has inherent lift so it's not as hard to balance it as you might imagine.
>>
File: image.png (456KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
456KB, 640x1136px
About how much would it be to fix the misfire?
>>
>>14069296
>4.5k rpm redline

Has to be a diesel, maybe a vw toureg tdi
>>
I'm buying a used car from a private party in West Virginia and bringing it to Ohio. In West Virginia title transfers don't need to be notarized but in Ohio they do. The seller tells me that they're "self-notarized" which seems legally okay but I dunno for sure. I'm buying it in a small town tomorrow so it would be a pain in the ass to find a notary and I'd have to leave ass early.

Has anyone ever transferred a title private party to private party from West Virginia to Ohio?
>>
>>14069613

A misfire is pretty vague, it could be not so bad to holy shit about to blow up the whole car.
>>
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5360886305.html

should I?
>>
How true is it that you aren't suppose to use anti seize on anything that needs to be torqued?
>>
>>14046137
>>14046354
it's not that hard to set it by sound actually. you can get it pretty close by feel.
>>
>>14051028
depends on the car, on my civic it would have been a pain in the ass so i just replaced the entire hub bearing assembly
>>
>>14052362
you mean the caliper bolts?
get a big ass rubber mallet, hold the wrench tight and smack the end of the handle as hard as you reasonably can.
>>
File: 1446403618209.png (304KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
1446403618209.png
304KB, 500x363px
>>14069150
older volvos (pre 2000) are pretty easy to work on, it's like they cared about their career techs or something... You can easily get them for less than 500 euros. 240 for reliability, 740/940 for hoon, 850 for commuter/hoon (more complicated FWD however)
Bonus: Yuropeen models like 440/460s
>>
>>14062132
boop
>>
File: 1438281526812.jpg (107KB, 680x827px) Image search: [Google]
1438281526812.jpg
107KB, 680x827px
How accurate are the calculation methods for estimating a vehicle's top speed from its power output and drag area and vice versa? Using a Miata NB I'm coming out at 180-200 HP crank to reach 143 mph and 230-250 HP crank to reach 161 mph (no, these speeds aren't arbitrary), probably more likely towards the upper end of the estimate.
>>
>>14069921
you arent reaching 143mph with only 200hp i can tell you that much right now.

u probably arent including rolling resistance.
>>
>>14069935
I've reached 130 mph in a current gen turbodiesel Buick Regal with 180-something HP before, and that thing is a bit bigger than a Miata.
>>
>>14069945
the difference between 130 and 150 is like the difference between 0 and 100.

to go 150 you would need like 300hp at the crank and you would have to have a real aerodynamic car.
>>
Bought to change my brake pads and flush my brake fluid out. Which should I do first m8s?

Also where tf do I get a reliable and cheap torque wrench?
>>
>>14070084
>bleed or pads first?
I like pads then bleed

>where get torque wrench?
Craftsman for great warranty and decent cost (sears/kmart), harbor freight for super cheap, auto parts stores if you wanna pay too much for bad quality (exception: Napa)
>>
>>14070084
bleed is always last
>>
>>14070125
>>14070144

Thanks!
>>
>>14070084
Make sure you don't drain the brake fluid reservoir while bleeding them :)
>>
>>14069973
I did 240kmph on a SLK200 of 2015. That thing must have had something like 184 hp. So there's that.
>>
Just bought a DD and it has a couple of rusted spots(about 1 cm diameter). I don't know how long its been that way. I'm guessing its been a while since it doesn't just look like oxidized metal but really rusted. What can I do about rust where paint has chipped away?
>>
File: 20151217_114243.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20151217_114243.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>14043634
Is there something wrong with my suspension? There is something visible jutting out, more noticeable on the rear (independent rear suspension) but it can be seen from the front. I've never ever seen this shit on any other car, what's it called and are they supposed to be there?

Pic related. Right beside the wheel.
>>
>>14070193
>rust, what do?
sand to bare metal, prime, and repaint.
>>
>>14070562
its a lower control arm mount or a subframe mount.
if something was wrong with your suspension you would know it.
>>
>>14070709
Yeah but it juts out a lot and I have less clearance. I often look under other people's cars and have never seen it out this much, even other jaguars.
Thanks anon.
>>
File: FlyingRally.webm (3MB, 960x539px) Image search: [Google]
FlyingRally.webm
3MB, 960x539px
So, I've got 15k budget for a car, and I'm pretty much deciding between a Mazda3 and a NC Miata.

How often do you wish you had a bigger car with the mx-5? Is it really only a weekender car, or could I use it as a DD? Just kind of thought what you guys thought about it.
>>
>>14071100
it's not the trunk space and lack of rear seats but the cramped cabin that annoys. it's hard to get in and out of unless you're a cute 5'0" gril
>>
>>14071100
If you're young and single, are ok with being a passenger anytime it's 2+ going somewhere, and want to have a rent a truck to move anything then go for the Miata.

If you're sensible go with the 3.
>>
>>14071150
>>14071142
Alright. I'm ~6ft tall, so I guess it'd be cramped. I'll still check one out while I'm looking around, but I'll probably end up going with the 3. Now all I have to do is be able to find one in a manual.
>>
What differences can I expect between a WRX and an Impreza in terms of:

- reliability
- insurance cost
>>
>>14071198
-slightly worse
-much worse
>>
>>14071218
Thanks. Do you think the insurance costs for a WRX, Focus ST, and Fiesta ST would be in the same ballpark? Or is the WRX just an outlier?

(northeast USA btw -- I know insurance depends on a million factors)
>>
>>14071263
WRX costs a lot more to run
>>
I'm thinking about buying 2011 cayman s

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c22060&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c22963&zip=91011&distance=500&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true#listing=127200103_isFeatured

Is this worth? I was thinking 39000 is better price.
>>
File: IMG_1793.jpg (410KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1793.jpg
410KB, 2048x1536px
So I own a N/A SW20 with a 3S-GE engine and W124 Mercedes with a M103 engine. Is there any way to get bit more power out of either one without resorting to engine swaps or turbocharging?

If not what are the most cost effective ways I should look into?
>>
>>14071853
for the mr2 a non oem turbo and a tune

for the merc, nothing really. getting power out of n/a isn't cheap.
and would kind of ruin the purpose of the car i m o
>>
>>14071893
he said without turbos
>>
>>14071893
oh nvm i thought you had the turbo mr2.

the only way to get 'real' power out of n/a is to do a full build.
bolt ons typically do very little, but you might be able to get another 20-30hp or something out of it with intake, exhaust, and tune. but i dont know anything about mr2s
>>
>>14071938
youll spend more money making the n/a motor as fast as you could a turbo motor pretty much when it comes to smaller four cylinders
there really is no cheap way to make it fast n/a
>>
>>14071853
Supercharge it. You get power on the lower rpm range and there is no turbo lag.

Turbo for my v6 pentastar engine was 2k, but you end up spending another 3k on tune, parts and bunch of labor.
>>
>>14071955
woops meant to say supercharger for my v6***

I'm pretty sure you can find a kit for your engine.
>>
>>14071990
>what are fuel injectors, air filters, belt, valves, intercooler, CNC mounting kit and fuck ton of misc parts
fucking idiot i paid most of 3k for the parts
>>
>>14071990
oh i forgot. Your car costs less than 3k
apex kek
>>
>>14071941
i know thats why i said
>getting power out of n/a isn't cheap.
>the only way to get 'real' power out of n/a is to do a full build.

meanwhile, a chinese turbo and a log manifold will make as much hp as a full n/a race engine.
>>
>>14071853
just do a junkyard turbo build
sure it still costs some money but not nearly as much as it would to buy everything new
>>
>>14071853
get chinese electric turbo it adds 20HP for less than 100 bucks :^)
>>
my 2011 toyota corolla LE has made a grinding sound when starting up recently. Its only done it twice so far.
Some quick googling and youtube searching leads me to believe this may a problem with my starter and that it may need to be replaced.

the sound is very similar to the one in this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFdA0nLasKs&list=LLWB5JhvcIdHhnI_7ZTygdEg&index=2

If the starter needs to be replaced, then how much would it cost for me to do so at a shop or at the stealership? Any ideas on what it may have created this problem in the first place?
61.3k miles on the odometer thus far. got it at 27k
>>
>>14067674
I..Is that a fleshlight?
>>
File: 1448836456426s.jpg (4KB, 125x123px) Image search: [Google]
1448836456426s.jpg
4KB, 125x123px
>>14072204
>how much cost?
call and ask or do your own research. I DIY'd one for $60 off ebay, but it needed a new housing after 4 months. total cost was like $80.
I would only be worried after it wouldn't start but that's just me and i'm a negro.
>>
File: 5342543253.jpg (396KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
5342543253.jpg
396KB, 1280x960px
2013 Jetta with 30k miles for $15,000
Need a car for about that much, thinking of it. Should I?
>>
I'm installing a remote keyless entry to my '91 (EE90) Corolla. I know what wires to connect, but I don't know exactly WHERE to connect them and I can't find what is the relay that controls the central locking.

These are the wires in the car:
>blue/yellow unlocks
>blue/white locks

Where the hell do I cut and connect the wires?
>>
>>14073817
I can't do shit with the wires in your car if I don't know what the instruction says.

It can be connected to one, the other or both, give us the instructions and get a fusebox diagram for your car so you know where that relay is.
>>
>>14073442
You can do better than that. $13k is high for that many miles. If you really want it, look at the tires, prolly original tires.
>>
Hey /O/ i recently passed up on a 2003 acura cl type S 6sp manual with 57k... guy wanted 7800 and i was only willing to pay 7... did i fuck up?
>>
File: wiring.png (59KB, 817x1057px) Image search: [Google]
wiring.png
59KB, 817x1057px
>>14074076
No no, I know what to connect, but I'm not sure where I'm supposed to connect them; to the wires immediately coming from driver's door, the wires I see farther away upwards and so.

I tried to identify the relay by colors of the wires, but there are two white/reds, and then a bunch of wire colors that are not in this diagram. There is one green box under steering wheel that is connected to blue/white, blue/red etc. that this diagram shows, but no wires come through it.
>>
>>14074180
Well, if your remote directly acts on the door locks, then you have to connect it to the blu and red wires coming put of pin 3 and 4 (far right in your diagram).
Anyway, you want to connect it as far up the diagram as possible, connecting it on the wires directly out of your door may probably make it work only on that door.

If the remote acts by sending a signal similar to the lock button you have in your car, then you have to connect it to the blue/white and blue/yellow wires coming out of pin 9 and 4. Does the button on the driver door close/open all the doors? Then you can connect the remote to wires directly out of the button, otherwise you need to go upstream and pick a wire before it splits to the various lock buttons.

I can't help you identifying the relay, maybe look better at the workshop manual or just straight ask to a Toyota dealer. If the colors of the wires are not matching, then you are probably looking at the wrong place.
>>
>>14059236
Buy a cheap car and learn to work on it.
>>
I've got a junkyard LQ4 destined for an 87 Buick Regal I've been sitting on, and a disco potato out of an old ricer's Civic. Would that turbo be too small to be effective if all I want is 14psi?
>>
>>14074210
Well you've given me some idea, thanks.
>>
>>14074242
Well, just keep in mind that you should go as far up the circuit as possible to make sure all the locks are working.
It really all depends on the remote control your are installing.
Does it work on every lock separately (maybe it has a function to just open the driver door like most modern cars do)? Then you go wire-hunting for every wire that comes from a lock.
Does it sends a signal directly to the locks? Then follow what I told you before and pick pin 3 and 4 directly out of the relay.
Does it require the relay to work? Then pick the wire/wires that come from the lock button or the key switch and make sure to pick all the door switches or pick them up individually if that's the case.

The stock diagram is pretty simple, you just need to know if the remote needs a relay or not and if it splits the signals through every lock or not.
Thread posts: 287
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.