/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New, want a road warrior

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: LeutenantseDAAAAAAAN.jpg (1MB, 3073x1690px) Image search: [Google]
LeutenantseDAAAAAAAN.jpg
1MB, 3073x1690px
I've always liked the 67 four door impala.
I want to drop an LS3 into one, and make it act like a 2014 Camaro SS.
What all do I need to do? Literally spell everything out, I know only just slightly more than a rock about cars.

>inb4 Supernatural bandwagon fag.
I just hate having to climb over seats, and I like the posted model more anyways.
>>
>>14040975
install LS3 in the front.
Put 500lbs of weights in the trunk

boom, 2014 camaro.
>>
>Literally spell everything out, I know only just slightly more than a rock about cars

Save up $100k and have a performance shop do the work.
>>
>>14040984
Is it that bad?

>>14041000
$5,000 car.
$12,000 at most engine.

Would it really cost 100G's? I see like, 25 at most.
>>
>>14041045
Brakes, suspension, transmission, driveshaft, diff
>>
>>14040975
You're way better off using an old school 350 chevy motor + sick mawdz

It will still be plenty powerful and it will fit.
>>
Dont hate on the supernatural, their car is sexy as hell. Besides, good luck finding one. After 3 years of looking in the houston area, ive only found less than 5 4 doors 66-68.Hell there was a 66 4door with a small v8 and a rusted trunk, was up for less than 12 hours.
>>
I'm guessing being what is it, probably a bunch of companies out there to give it decent brakes/ adjustable suspension like CPP that Hot Rod used on that Buick Special..

Then as for the engine. Put a big block in it cause reasons of reason. That and small blocks/ls motors swap seem so god damn common now.
>>
Nothing wrong with being a Supernatural bandwagon fag. That car is bitching.
>>
>>14041225
And for seasons 1-5 (where it was supposed to end) was actually a damn good show.
>>
>>14041172
I want to be able to get better than 14 miles to the gallon anon, hence ls3. If I could get a direct from GM LS1, I would.
>>
Wait people still bandwagon Supernatural?
>>
>>14041259
Not really, but when it was a thing it drove up prices on the four doors up near 40k.
They are still high (25-30k) but they need to drop down back to where they were.
>>
>>14040975
probably the best looking 4 door ever made

Just find one with atleast a 327, mod that and appreciate what it is and its capabilities. They're hard to find now

Did anyone else rage over mythbusters destroying perfectly good ones?
>>
>>14041296
There is only nearby with a 305 for $2k
But it threw a rod and is a non op.
Interior/exterior are great, should I jump and get it?
>>
>>14041317
link the ad and we'll find its problems and what you're up for

The engines are easy as fuck to repair
>>
>>14041343
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5307027351.html
>>
>>14041343
To be clear, by saying that the interior and exterior are great, I meant condition not colors. Red/White aren't my thing.
>>
>>14041345
yes that appears to be a very good car. Body work for me takes priority as it is the hardest part about fixing a car. That impala appears straight, clean and the paint looks neat

As for the engine, you need friends to help you out. Spend the extra cash for a 327 and drop it straight in, maybe take it to a garage if you can't do that, but supply them the parts dont let them buy the engine for you. 2 speed automatic is a little disappointing but it feels incredibly satisfying listening to the engine roar all the way up to 45.

Id buy it
>>
>>14041345
Good deal I think

A crate engine and a 700r4 and you're set
>>
>>14041377
700r4 is the trans, right?
>>
>>14041361
If I give the car and the engine/tranny listed below to a shop, do you think I could expect to pay at or around $5?
https://stockton.craigslist.org/pts/5311213455.html

(I would go through and try to put it in myself, but I don't have the space to do so :/ )
>>
>>14041195
This.
I was looking for one for fucking ages before i gave up.

>>14040975
If you really want it to handle like a new car, you're going to need a new chassis to drop the body on.
This isn't actually as bad as it sounds, there are companies that do full brand new chassis with independent rear suspension, big disc brakes, etc.

Not gonna do the research for you bro, you need to get dedicated if you want to do this because it WILL cost the same or more than a brand new camaro.
Budget $50,000 and 5 years if you want something truly special.
>>
>>14041433
Ive never had a shop do work for me so i dont know prices. Call one up and see how much you're looking at. Try a private mechanic as they're typically cheaper but you can only find them through word of mouth/connections

Have you looked at the specs for a '91 350? do you like this? whats going to happen to the 2 speed column shifter, that needs to be converted to either a 4 speed column shift housing or a floor shift conversion is required, adding to cost. Ive also seen these engines go for a little cheaper, so maybe shop around. I suggest a 327 because its what was original to the car
>>
>>14041454
I think I am going to keep the frame, I am honestly just looking for a healthy amount of horse power, with a really good (for a muscle car) gas mileage.
I don't need it to be exactly like the Camaro.
(I only brought up the 2014 SS because that's the only muscle car I have driven)
>>
>>14041504
In that case, just remember that it really won't handle.

Ideally what you want is an LS1 or 2 with probably a 4L80e combined with a full disc brake conversion.

Personally, i'd start ringing around and getting quotes. Normal mechanics won't do full EFI conversions and shit, you'll be looking at custom shops.
As for the car, the absolute ideal would be a restored one with a fucked engine for cheap. But considering how much trouble i was having just finding one for sale for a decent price, your chances of that rare combo appearing are so slim it's not even worth thinking of.

Look at more specific forums for impalas/GM to get more info. Best i can do right now is to tell you to use the magnet trick - take a little fridge magnet with you and check the usual rust spots on the car. If the magnet sticks it's either original steel or been cut out and replaced (done properly), if it falls off it's been bogged (done badly).
>>
>>14041553
Thanks, I had never heard of that trick.
And the first link I posted here is of a 4 door with great ext/interior (Shitty paint style, but thats w/e) with a thrown rod.

And I have one or four local shops that deal in custom cars, so I will start asking. I have about $15,500 saved up, so hopefully by this time next year my baby will be up and running.
>>
>>14041569
Ahh yeah saw it. Looks alright, i'd be weary about what it looks like underneath.

Just another general tip, and this applies to any car project, take your current estimate and double it.
So essentially, look at trying to do it for $10k or less, because i'm telling you now you will end up eating through that other $5k with all the little shit you don't think of.

If that white 67 is alright (please get a mechanic to look underneath), then you should quite easily be able to do it. LS2 + 4L65/4L80e in ameribucks is like $5-6k. You can do this much cheaper if you get a truck engine (LY6), but it's an iron block so if you've got the money you should definitely go proper LS.
Add another $1k for the disc brake conversion and you're looking at the $10k, leaving you $5k for all the other little things.
>>
File: 12798-20533.gif (51KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
12798-20533.gif
51KB, 320x240px
Is this the new "wat car iz gud?" I don't know anything about cars but want to do "insert expensive/labor/experience intensive thing here." Can we stop entertaining these chucklefucks? Or at the very least direct them to wrenching 101 supplements and tell them to come back when they know their carburetors from their catalytic converters and don't fall for the turbo encabulator joke?
>>
>>14041604
Most definitely.
I know a guy who knows a guy who does LS rebuilds, so I could always go to one of the many PickNPulls and take out a LS1 from a wrecked 01 vette for pennies, then have it looked over.
>>
>>14041623
I know the difference between a carbureator and a catalytic converter.
Almost got into a fist fight with a guy at me gym who said that all modern cars had Carburetors instead of EFI's (he even went so far as to say the EFI was part of the cooling system)
>>
>>14041649
Yeah a rebuilt LS1 is an option, i was just thinking LS2 for the extra low end torque but they are very expensive in the US, don't know what's up. Here in aus you can get an LS2 with a 6-speed for $4k us.

Either way man, just keep an eye out and remember to always keep a cash buffer in everything you do. The LS will need an ECU of some kind, the transmission tunnel might need to be modified, you'll need a new driveshaft, diff might go with extra power, etc etc.

If i was doing it, i'd take my time to find the right car while saving my money.
>>
>>14041681
Ls2 was only offered in the corvette afaik
They came in plenty of commodores
>>
>>14041681
Look at what I just found.
I am thinking this would be a better option.
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/5334908339.html
>>
>>14041701
5.3 is a truck engine, even with the loom and box it's not worth that much, you can get them from junkyards for around $1500

I'd stick with LS for the aluminium block, taking that weight off the front end would definitely make the impala more fun to drive around.
>>
>>14041715
Alright, makes sense.
Should I just set a higher budget and get a new crate LS? Or wait to find a pulled one near me?
>>
>>14041743
Honestly, anything from late year LS1 up are pretty much bulletproof once they've got some miles on them (some are built sloppy) so there isn't really much point to a crate motor over just a well kept used one.

Try to keep your eye out for a late LS1 or an LS2 for a decent price, that'd be the best bet to keep costs low enough that you won't be stressing if you find a really nice impala for a bit more money than you'd otherwise be able to spend.
>>
>>14041686
SSR, Monaro/GTO, Trailblazer, 9-7, and CTSV.
>>
Custom chassis (expect 5 figures) with IRS, modern coilovers or air ride, 12+" brakes, rack and pinion steering, modern tranny to go with the LS3 (T56/4L/6L)...
>>
TALK TO A PRO
A
L
K
A
P
R
O
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.