[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anti-freeze flush and change

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: Antifreeze_in_the_radiator.jpg (386KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Antifreeze_in_the_radiator.jpg
386KB, 1024x768px
hey guys, noob here.

I've been looking up how to flush my anti-freeze and I'm wondering if you guys could tell me if what I've read is correct. I find that for some reason, info on anti-freeze online is hard to find, vague, and contradictory depending on who you ask.

I have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder 2.7 L manual.

I read you can use any color antifreeze on toyota except green (so long as you don't mix and match). Is there any advantage to the different types? Should I just go to dealer and get coolant or do they charge exorbitant fees?

Right now I have orange. If I do a full flush (multiple times until it runs clear), can I change color?

Can I use my waste-oil pan to catch antifreeze? Will the traces of antifreeze contaminate used oil and mess up the recycling process?

Any other tips greatly appreciated.
>>
One more question:

I live in Florida, so freezing is not an issue. Is there an optimal water/coolant ratio for hot climate or is 50/50 the best for every situation?
>>
>>14031381
>not reading the fucking manual.
>>
>>14031395
But I have, sir. I don't think the manual even mentions how to do a coolant flush.

As for type of coolant, the manual is very vague. It just says use ethylene glycerol with low silicate, etc. etc.

I try to look this stuff up online but I only seem to find contradictory information.
>>
>>14031415
i told you in the last thread.

gook red is the same as US green, except US green has silicates.

US green/yellow works in everything, you just can't mix it with another color.
>>
>>14031415
Get a factory service manual.
>>
I'd look in a hayes manual to be sure but most chink cars use the zerex Asian formula. I run it in my Miata because the bamboo tubes from the radiator can't run dex or they disintegrate.
>>
>>14032354
>hayes manual
No
>>
>>14032368
Haynes whatever. The point is the plastics in Asian cars cant run dex or they harden and crack.
>>
>>14032354
>>14032395
no old car should be using dex unless it came with it.

gook formula is the same as generic green it just doesnt have silicates. honestly i dont think it fucking matters one bit.
>>
>>14031381
Just put green in it and stfu.

Drain the old coolant out in the driveway.
>>
>>14032395
I know what you meant. Haynes manuals are garbage.
>>
>>14032529
all manuals are garbage you pretentious fag.
but theyre still better than standing there holding your cock.
>>
>>14032553
Factory service manuals are not garbage, but you probably wouldn't know about those since you can't buy them at the parts store you work for.
>>
>>14032588
no one can buy the real factory service manuals you dumb twat.
you have to know a guy or find a pirate copy.
>>
>>14032588
nice dig mate
>>
>>14032602
ha ha let me buy one off the black market of commonplace cars.

We got this honda civic manual here for ya, we lost three men smuggling this out of the dealership
>>
>>14032602
Guess the dealer sold me a fake, then. I bet you think I also can't buy factory tools.
>>
>>14031381
Your Tacoma came with what Toyota calls "super long life" coolant. It has a 100k service life. We call it the "pink" coolant in the shop to differentiate it from the older "red" coolant that had a 36k service life. The Toyota SLL coolant is premixed so you don't add water. Any of the premixed coolants you find at Autozone or other retailers will work just fine in your Taco. A "flush" is silly term used by shops to sell you shit you don't need. In fact, all Toyota dealerships in the U.S. were sent a memo stating that Toyota does not recommend any mechanical style "flushes" to any Toyota vehicle. If you want to do the best possible job changing your coolant, drain your radiator and the block drain located on the lower right hand side of your block. Then simply refill the system, making sure you don't have any air bubbles in system and you're good to go.
>>
>>14032680
>>14032630
those arent the same as the real service manuals, bud
the ones you buy off the shelf aren't the ones the technicians use.

the consumer service manuals, haynes, and bentleys all have their shortcomings in different areas for different cars. haynes might have better hub assembly diagrams while bentley or the oem service manual might have better valvetrain diagram and lack in somewhere else. they are all fucking shit at one thing or another and can't hold your hand through everything.

a single haynes is still better than nothing so stop being a stupid pretentious cunt.
>>
>>14032777
Seconding this.
> Any of the premixed coolants you find at Autozone or other retailers will work just fine in your Taco.
Adding to this, what you want is premixed ELC (extended life coolant) so look for Valvoline Zerex, Shell Rotella ELC, Mobil Delvac, and so on.
Avoid DexCool if only because it doesn't play nice with green stuff.
>>
>>14032819
>those arent the same as the real service manuals, bud
Yes, they are.
>>
>>14032777

That is the Asian formula. You can get it at orileys or amazon.
>>
>>14032847
They aren't.. you fucking retard.
The real service manual for the e36 is like 1400 pages. You can't buy it at the dealership or off the shelf anywhere and it costs like $400

the fucking 600 page one you get at the dealer is not the same.
>>
>>14032898
Well I don't get keked by BMW. I get the real deal manuals for my cars.
>>
>>14032898

>you cant buy it anywhere
>it costs $400

Why is there a price then?
>>
>>14032832
>Avoid DexCool if only because it doesn't play nice with green stuff.

my dealership just added a dye to my dexcool which turned it green to find a leak

should i have this shit flushed? all my stuff is green now and there are very small crystals on the cap. When i asked my dealership they just avoided the question.
>>
>>14032933
>off the shelf anywhere
Learn to read
>>
>>14032945
By "green stuff" I mean conventional green coolant. It makes DexCool gel up. Just look for pictures of DexCool contamination and see how they compare to your cap.
>>
>>14033000

It was a dye that caused it to go green

i'm just wondering if i should be worried or if the dye is ok to have in there? I have a slow leak that will get fixed but until then i have to deal with it
>>
Color doesn't mean shit. Different manufacturers dye their coolant different colors. Colors are relatively standardized for generic coolant at the parts store, but OEMs do whatever they can to make their own coolant look special.

If your service manual calls for 2 year / 30,000 mile coolant changes, you should use "conventional" coolant - parts-store green.

If your service manual calls for 5 year /100,000 mile changes, you should use "extended life" coolant - parts store red/yellow/orange.

99% of cars on the road can make due with one or the other of these two generic types. Most of the major brands of Extended Life you find at the parts stores are non-silicated, which means they'll meet the requirements for just about any car you can find.

GM has their own special extended-life formula called Dex-Cool. it has it's own special issues, but the same 5-year service life as regular extended-life. Don't use it unless you have a GM car and you plan on doing your drain/refills right on schedule every 5 years. Bad shit happens when dex-cool gets old. Parts stores usually also sell a Dex-cool replacement that is usually dyed red. You can replace Dex-cool on a GM car with generic extended life with no problems.
>>
>>14031389
Optimal ratio for maximum heat transfer and cooling is 100% water, 0% antifreeze.
Optimal ratio for boil-over protection is 100% antifreeze, 0% water.
Optimal ratio for freeze-up protection is 66% antifreeze, 33% water.

50/50 is good for all seasons, all conditions. You could get away with straight water in your climate, but running straight water for any extended period of time will result in serious corrosion buildup in the radiator, early water pump failure, etc. Antifreeze isn't just to prevent freezing. It also prevents corrosion and lubricates rubber seals.
>>
>>14032602

Are you fucking stupid! hyundai lets you download them for free!
>>
>>14031389
Anything less than 50/50 is optimal and preferred if you enjoy changing heater cores, replacing gaskets and doing anything else quite labor intensive because parts have gone to shit from corrosion.
>>
Does anyone else really love the non green color?
>>
>>14038325
BMW has the blue kind and superior to Dexcool
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.