[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So why don't you own an electric vehicle?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

So why don't you own an electric vehicle?
>>
>>14022682
but i do
>>
(On mobile, so I don't know how to link to your comment. Pardon my ignorance)
I shall add, why DO you own one? I am equally interested.
>>
>>14022682
>2015
>not waiting to see how model 3/competitors turns out
>>
Barrier to entry cost + the fact that they don't last very long.

I'm sure they are good cars for a lease, but I really don't see the point in buying one outright with the current state of battery technology.
>>
>>14022682
Because it's either slow or expensive.
>>
Apartment-dwelling poorfag, nowhere to charge an electric car.

Corporate landlord doesn't give a shit about the late 50s building, so I don't see them installing chargers.
>>
>$200 mountain bike from walmart
>$200 electric wheel kit from internet.
>Go to and from work (20 mile round trip) everyday for free with no traffic.

I'm doing it right
>>
>>14022682
Because dinosaurs were godless sinners and their last remnants on this earth must be destroyed.
>>
For those who don't own one, what changes would need to be made either to the cars, industry, infrastructure, etc.. to get you to consider one?
>>
>>14022794
One of the things that really kills it for me is the sound. I love the sound of an internal combustion engine on it's way to peak RPMs. Yea, it's not the most important thing to consider when it comes to things like reliability, fuel economy, maintenance; but it's adds a lot to driving enjoyment for me.

Another big thing is that they are either slow and boring, or really fast and very expensive. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground for someone that wants to get affordable performance. Granted, I don't follow them all that closely, so maybe there are more options now.

Either way I play on being that old guy hanging onto his ICE and talking shit to young people with their electric cars until I'm well on my way to being senile.
>>
>>14022755
20 miles is a lot on a bike.
10 miles would be my max electric motor or not.

>>14022794
The cost of getting it to 250k would have to be the same or better than an ICE as far as parts replacement.

To consider one as my only car.. at least a good portion of LA and San Diego major freeways would have to have charging stations. Laid out in a way that it would be feasible to get to and from all points of both cities without having to worry about altering my driving or routes.

But, I'd never consider one as my only car it would only be a driving appliance. I'd have other cars for long distance or fun.
>>
Electric Toyota mr2
>>
>>14022794

For Electric Cars to become the norm, a couple of things needs to happen.

Refueling time needs to be somewhere close to it's Gasoline/Diesel counterparts. Right now, it's 70 minutes to charge a Tesla? Impressive, but for anyone who does routine long distance travel, that's a shit ton of wasted time.

Also, you've got to deal with the fact that batteries will lose their capacity to hold a charge and as long as batteries cost as much as they do replace, it's gonna be a big issue.

Of course, you've got engineers at various companies who are aware of these challenges and are working on them every day, so it's a matter of time until electric vehicles become the most practical option.

I love my V8 as much as the next guy, but electric cars are pretty exciting in their own merit.
>>
there arent any good enough used ones yet
>>
>>14022697
>Intending to buy a new model of car
>Intending to buy a new model of anything

New stuff is guaranteed to have engineering hurdles to overcome. I would not touch a model 3 for at LEAST a year.
>>
>>14022794
>Widespread adoption of rapid DC charging technologies.

Right now only Tesla really has this, and the car is horrendously expensive for what it offers. I'd also like to have a standard for dumping power directly from a battery bank in my house into the car. I already have a fucking enormous solar array in my house. I'd love to have ~100+kw of battery so that I can function for several days off the grid during frequent power outages. If I could charge my car through DC in an hour directly from my reserves, that would be phenomenal.

>Actual fucking cars

Tesla is more or less the only EV manufacture that makes a car that is usable as a car. I'm not someone who cares too much about aesthetics, but jesus christ some of these EV's are just hideous.

I'm also over 6 feet tall, and my proportions aren't standard. My torso is 3-4 inches taller than normal for someone my height, and as a result, when sitting down I'm about as tall as a person around 7 feet tall. Most electric cars are tiny, underpowered econoboxes. It's hard enough finding shirts I can tuck in. Finding an economical car that I can sit in without slouching is next to impossible. The last thing I want is back pain because I have to sit funny in a car.
>>
someone needs to make hybrid tech more aftermarket friendly
it doesn't need to be huge to make a difference
>>
File: 1448854264192.jpg (88KB, 796x574px) Image search: [Google]
1448854264192.jpg
88KB, 796x574px
>>14022682
>cheapest electric car in a Chevy Spark for $25k USD
>Buy base spark for $12k
>Save $13k
>Spend roughly $1300 in gas a year
>Buy spark and drive it for 10 years for the initial cost of the electric version.
>>
>>14022682
because I drive 60k kilometers in a year with quite a few drives of 1.4k in one go in there... no way I'm driving electric...
>>
>>14025345
That's fair. I just meant that's the first generation of relevant electrics coming below the model S price bracket.
>>
>>14025607
Knowing how shitty Tesla's is with failed promises, it's going to be the most barebones base model starting at 35,000.

By the time you upgrade the battery and shit it's going to be 50,000 minimum for the car.
>>
>>14025669
It's looking like the Bolt as well as supposedly a 60kwh leaf and an unannounced ferd competitor will be coming out within the same time frame and price range so far. So if Tesla intends to compete they'll have to hem their profit margins and step it up. At the same time, none of those will have the same kind of battery output behind them, so it SHOULD be possible.
>>
>>14025789
Even then, why go with it when I can get a year or two old toyota for under 10,000. It will take literally a decade before the EV is more cost effective, and that's assuming that it doesn't have horrific reliability problems.
>>
>>14025844
>Even then, why go with it when I can get a year or two old toyota for under 10,000.
You could say that about literally any new car.
The reasons vary. Personally I just think electric drivetrains are pretty neat.
>>
File: 34guexk.jpg (751KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
34guexk.jpg
751KB, 1600x1200px
>>14022682
My Vehicle has a battery, therefor it is electric
>>
>>14025866
The point is that a toyota has a track record of being reliable for hundreds of thousands of miles. The Prius is used by tons of cab companies for that reason. They are cheap as hell to run, and relatively simple and cheap to maintain. Tesla as a company has a singularly terrible track record in this regard so far.

For the other models, eh who knows. The leaf is apparently relatively reliable so far.
>>
>>14025904
The Model S was the first car Tesla mass produced in-house, so the fact that they had issues with them early on doesn't bother me much. Much ado is being made of relatively little.
>>
>>14025944
Power train problems are not a "relatively little" problem.
>>
>>14026010
Power train problems before they changed their methodology. Basically going from letting trained monkeys oil their motors to robots is supposed to have fixed the issues the early ones had.
>>
>>14026024
It has not. People with cars made in late 2014 are still having these problems, and people with replacement drive units from this July have reported problems.
>>
>>14026071
I've seen a lot of people rehashing stories about a handful of early models, nothing about the new stuff. Sauce?
>>
>>14022682
Because they dont have the range of a gas powered car.
>>
when will suzuki or kawasaki or yamaha make one? will buy. have money.
>>
>>14026114
Yamaha released some concepts. From what I recall
>slow
>low capacity
>hub motors lol
Traditional bike makers are not going to do anything ambitious until they're forced to take the likes of Zero seriously.
>>
>>14026088
I'd have to dig around, but I found a thread about in teslamotorsclub asking about people with high mileage vehicles. Keep in mind that most people that own them drive well under 15,000 per year, and many are under 10,000. Also, keep in mind that that site is the equivalent of macrumors in terms of circle jerk. If people there are complaining about a problem with the car, it's pretty serious. Like people actually tried to defend the fake horsepower numbers, and Tesla's refusal to sell parts to people.

Anecdotal, but my neighbor has a Feb 2014 model. She has been through 7 drive trains (don't know what the front/back distribution on that is, just that it's 7 in total). She has driven the car 48 thousand miles. She's currently throwing a shitfit with them and trying to get out of her lease without destroying her credit because from mid May - end of July she had her car for a grand total of 17 days due to numerous problems and the "planned' service center down the road being delayed for the past 2 years. Not to mention they tried to refuse her a loaner for that period until she mailed a written complaint to HQ.
>>
>>14026151
so im waiting then. im guessing a couple years?
>>
>>14026177
I think the next couple of years is when you will start to see serious bikes announced by the big manufacturers. Actual production will remain down the line. Victory has a model now but it's a rebadged Brammo that hasn't been updated in a long time, so I don't know that anyone should put much stock in it. For the foreseeable future I think it remains Zero being the 'big' game and a small niche at 30k+ for super high performance (ala LS218)
>>
File: british-plug.jpg (53KB, 1000x740px) Image search: [Google]
british-plug.jpg
53KB, 1000x740px
Trailing a power cable from the road into a dwelling is ever so slightly naughty and more than a little bit stupid.
>>
Thank you for your responses, everyone!
>>
>>14025434
Not to mention that the ICE Spark will still run essentially the same as when it was new while the battery in the electric car will have severely reduced capacity.
>>
>>14022682
I don't want a car that has lost 14% of it's range after 5000miles like the tesla. When there is a viable energy vector for electric vehicles I'm down with it. Modern batteries aren't there, hydrogen is far too inefficient and current electrical generation is moor polluting on a per mile basis when you include the entire efficiency chain. So basically I don't own one because I value the environment more than my image.
>>
>>14025904
Tesla do remind me so much of all the 90's jokes about what would happen if a computer company made cars.
>>
>>14025895
>My food includes vegetables, therefore it is vegan
>>
>current car gets 5.8L/100km
>diesel price is between 1€ and 1.10€ a litre right now
>fuel price per kilometer 0.06€ or 0.07€

>electric car gets 140 km out of 24 kWh (Nissan Leaf) or 400km out of 70 kWh (Tesla Model S)
>electricity price around 0.30€/kWh
>fuel price per kilometer 0.05€

Wow fantastic savings, I only need to buy a new car to save 100€ or 200€ a year!
>>
File: 1364537201214x0.5.jpg (19KB, 368x368px) Image search: [Google]
1364537201214x0.5.jpg
19KB, 368x368px
>>14022682
Is this a serious question?
I find it hard to believe that there's anyone left on /o/ that doesn't know what most people dislike current electric cars.
As for myself (and I'm sure many others): I can't afford the Model S and all other electric cars and souless A-to-B chunks of metal.

Until we get a middle-class Tesla or good electric car from Audi/BMW/Mercedes, I'll stick to my dinosaur soup machines, thanks.
>>
>>14028772
It's well worth it, for the environment.
Just think of those hundreds of liters of petrol that aren't burnt if you just have a new vehicle full of exotic materials built for you while your old one still works fine.
>>
>>14028795
Thank god a major deal wasn't signed just before the climate conference to continue to subsidise coal and petroleum oil fired power stations into 2020.
>>
>>14022682
None exist that fit my wants. I also love the visceral aspects of a combustion engine.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.