[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (13KB, 224x168px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 224x168px
S/o I'm giving ya speech on forced induction for a speech class to a bunch of normies. Heres the kick, I can't use a PowerPoint.

What do?
>>
Nothing funny since without a Powerpoint you can't insert photos of alternators to see who notices.

i guess just make blowoff valve noises or something
>>
>>14022337
blublublublublub
this is the your car
PSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
this is your car on drugs
>>
Use a picture folder as a presentation and talk about the pictures shown
>>
>>14022347
Allright that's a good idea, thanks
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (132KB, 900x598px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
132KB, 900x598px
>>14022335
Use a tri-fold board. They're the Powerpoint of the non-digital age. Don't forget the glitter glue so it looks extra pretty for those effort points.
>>
Don't just talk about power, talk about how car companies have figured out they can replace their NA 6 cylinders with 4 cylinder + turbo and have it compare with a NA 6 cylinder but cost less.

Talk more about the reasons why rather than how they work, since it is easier to verbalize that. Just give a general overview of how it works but make it very simple to understand.

You could break the speech up into parts like this:
What is forced induction (simple) and types (again keep it simple).
Then Reasons:
1. Power
2. Economy
3. Cost savings for manufacturers

Also find out about how much more turbos and superchargers are being bought by manufacturers from Bosch and all that.. you know work in some examples.
>>
>>14022355
Okay that seems like a good idea, thanks br/o
>>
>>14022335
>can't use a PowerPoint
What kind of third world shit hole do you live in?
>>
Don't forget compound boost m8.
>>
>>14022362
The kind that spices shit up. Also USA and i guess it's to make the class think alternatively idk
>>
>>14022358
No problem. For your introduction tell a story to bring some interest, then for the closing summarize the whole shit (not detailed, no new info, short), then end with some interesting statement that ties your introduction story into the closing statement so the whole presentation has a nice beginning and close.

Don't read from cards, just have some main statements written on the cards and instead practice for a while so you know what to say but just reference the cards.

No one is listening so don't worry about being embarrassed. We're sleeping just like you are.

For visual interest I agree with making some poster board thing you can refer to, that can also serve as a reminder of what order you are saying things (make the poster in the order left to right of your speech)
>>
>>14022335
Bring a turbo in as a prop.
>>
>>14022362
Maybe it's a rule to keep people from just putting up a bunch of slides and reading off of them. Ever consider that?
>>
>>14022406
I remember some professors used to say no powerpoint, I think the main reason was it made the speeches that much more boring and they had to sit through days of that shit
>>
>>14022352
How are the vocaloids so well drawn but the handwriting so shit?
>>
>>14022400
I wish I had one sitting around
>>
>>14022382
Okay that seems like the way to go. I appreciate your help and insight.
>>
>>14022424
>google image search: hatsune miku
>>
>>14022431
Are you going to have to stand behind a podium during the speech, or will you be able to move around? If I'm up in front of class teaching, I find that transitioning from one side of the stage/room to the other when I move to the next main point relieves some tension and is sort of a signal that I'm moving on to the next main point. Obviously running laps across the stage is a bad idea, though.

What is the time limit?
>>
>>14022355
Also, mention the fact that turbochargers help burn fuel more efficiently by reclaiming energy from exhaust heat (not exhaust pressure, expanding hot gasses make the turbine spin). They are not just "go faster" devices that force-feed the engine.

NA engines are only about 30% efficient when it comes to turning fuel into power. Turbocharged engines are twice as efficient. The rest of the energy is dissipated as heat into the coolant and engine bay.
>>
>>14022481
Do not listen to this advice.
>>
I would have a picture gallary but to spice shit up, you can have a fancy GIF of how turbos work so the normies would understand fully.
>>
>>14022408
that's only because people treat Powerpoint like it's their first time in Photoshop's filter menu and feel the need to use every flashy feature.

And then there are people who barely know how to use a computer at all attempting to grapple with font selection and slide layout.

It's no wonder your professors don't want you to use it.

>>14022498
It isn't. You can legitimately tell any Prius driver that the gas engine in their cars wastes the majority of the energy they pumped into it and there's literally nothing they can do about it because that's just how IC engines are.

I encourage you to read an Automotive Technology textbook like the fucking thousand-page, 7-pound, $300 monstrosity I've been hauling around for three semesters.
>>
>>14022378
Use LibreOffice Impress instead

:^)
>>
>>14022532
At no point did I ever say turbo engines are not ICEs.
Or that Turbocharged engines don't waste some of their energy.

On second thought, don't bother with the text book, since you obviously can't read. Maybe a Wikipedia article is more your speed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_efficiency
>>
>>14022481
this is just wrong.

turbos arent more efficient. they cant produce energy from nothing.
they may be mildly more efficient due to increased cylinder pressure torque gains, but other than that, they aren't any different than if you removed the turbo.
>>
>>14022554
A turbo will have slightly higher volumetric efficiency, or at least the used to.

Explain to class that an engine makes power by sucking in air, adding fuel and going boom. The amount of air an engine can suck in is determined in large part by its displacement.

A turbo forces more air into the engine which allows an engine to creat more power than it normally would. This allows a smaller turbo engine to create the power of a larger engine.

Essentially you are force feeding the engine to make it more powerful. It's like what the french do to those geese, or fat fetishist do to feedee
>>
>>14022335
You stand in front of the entire class and do nothing but make turbo noises for the entire length of the speech.
You say nothing before, and nothing after. All you do is sit quietly until it's time to stand up, walk, turn around and go
PSSSSSSSSSHH
TSU TSU TSU
PSSSSSSSSSSSSS
TSU
PSSSH
TSU TSU TSU
Then you quietly sit down.
>>
>>14022335
borrow a turbo/supercharger
>>
>>14022570
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/JTR/PDF/sample/004engine-0515_Sample.pdf

It seems like no production gas engine can get close yet, although turbodiesels can achieve it.
>>
>>14022580
>a turbo will have higher volumetric efficiency
no shit its compressed air.
but volumetric efficiency is only relative to itself. you cant compare ve on n/a to ve on turbo that's not how it works. you can only compare 10psi boost @ x displacement ve to 10psi boost @ that same displacement ve in two different engines.

ve is for comparing engines or heads not for comparing n/a vs turbo.. a 4cyl n/a random engine can be more efficient than another n/a turbo engine of the same displacement. the fact that something is turbo doesnt make it inherently more efficient.

take an engine, add the turbo, all else equal.. you gain some constant ve, you gain some torque, but you lose some timing, you run a little richer, you have turbine restriction and the net efficiency gains are minimal. what you do gain is essentially free displacement on tap which is good for saving fuel.
>>
>>14022580
We're talking about thermal efficiency, not volumetric efficiency.
>>
>>14022335
>turbos power drops and then comes online big
>supercharger power has an overall increase over n/a but not as much boost as a turbo (usually)

>turbo not so easy to install takes some thinking about reducing compression ratios, extra cooling, oil, etc.
>supercharger any cletus worth his bail fee for beating his wife can install a blower on anything honestly

>you can like both, I enjoyed the blower the b8 audi s4 had but I also enjoy the twin turbo system on my S6.

>turbo setups can be all over the fucking place and its sky is the limit (money) on how you mount them for maximum or disregard for efficiency
>superchargers can go on the block, or kind of off the side, but basically somewhere near the serpentine belts.
>>
>>14022615
An engine with higher ve will be more efficient you magnificent cunt wagon. It's a trivial amount, but will be slightly better.

You do not lose timing or need a richture mixture or have turbo loss if your engineers are any merit.

Adding a turbo won't do anything for efficiency, volumetric or overall, but an engine designed to be turbocharged will be more efficient than an na generally.
>>
>>14022615
> a 4cyl n/a random engine can be more efficient than another n/a turbo engine of the same displacement.

This is wrong when you get down to small displacement.
The n/a variant of the Fiat 1.4L T-Jet has worse overall fuel economy than the turbocharged version.
>>
>>14022624
So you are saying creating a vacuum is free and does not require any energy? The easier it is for an engine to turn over a given mass of air the more efficient it will be overall
>>
>>14022648
>you do not lose timing
a compressed fuel mixture burns faster thus you need less timing. not inherently good or bad. just depends on the tune. I'm just highlighting one of the many important variables.

>Adding a turbo won't do anything for efficiency, volumetric or overall, but an engine designed to be turbocharged will be more efficient than an na generally.
basically just a nonsensical sentence. we're talking 5%. not double like the guy im replying to claims.

>>14022650
First off, I just said not comparing the same engine. Comparing the same engine is pointless from a VE perspective. We're talking about thermal efficiency.

but, since you brought it up
>The n/a variant of the Fiat 1.4L T-Jet has worse overall fuel economy than the turbocharged version.
source? depending on driving style of course it's possible, but inherently no a turbo isn't more fuel efficient all else equal.
>>
>>14022337
Yeah op you gotta go tsu-tsu and tell them about Ford's revolutionary EcoBoost technology
>>
>>14022650
But Fiat is garbage.
>>
>>14022998
Don't you mean rebranded SkyActiv
>>
>>14023041
are you retarded m8
>>
Tell them how forced induction is a marketing ploy that brings neither more power more better efficiency to the table. Show the class real life mpg estimates and how turbo models end up having the same as v6 even v8 models.
Remember that the horsepower shown is only at high revs when mpg is least and actual driving never represents ep estimates unless you hardly spool and drive like a grandma
>>
>>14022335
Use HyperCard
>>
File: dusterburnout.jpg (127KB, 999x799px) Image search: [Google]
dusterburnout.jpg
127KB, 999x799px
tell them turbochargers are not american and for faggots, just like reading and math

then play this mp3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbjyuDYtAtk

kick the door open and walk out
hop in your '73 340 six pack duster and rip a fucking skid all the way out of the parking lot
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.