[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"all the power you may need for DD"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: citroen_metropolis-1920x1200.jpg (911KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
citroen_metropolis-1920x1200.jpg
911KB, 1920x1200px
So what is the top amount of BHP and torque that an average person (not counting seniors and women) may want in their car?

What is the sensible amount for everyday driving, with the ability to have some fun now and then, not slowing down traffic, getting up to good spead on on-ramps, not going to extreme revs at highway speeds and being able to overtake a semi on an uphill highway while fully loaded?
At what point do BHP/Torque figures become just dickwaving/over-the-top and gas-guzzling?

I realize a lot of it comes down to gearing as well, especially my highway cruise RPM question, but for the sake of argument, lets keep it about the engines.
>>
>>14022292
>average person (not counting seniors and women)
it's not an average if you exclude 75% of the population

If you have ~150 HP per ton, you won't ever feel limited in everyday driving, but you're also in no danger of losing control.
>>
>>14022292

'bout 350
>>
for commuting, probably around 200hp with a good torque curve
other than that, nothing less than 6 gorillion
>>
>>14022292
High 200s at the crank. 320 is the cutoff for excessive.
>>
Whatever a stock 90s civic has.
>>
It really depends on the country. Murica with long highways, high speeds and overtaking? Long gears, 250lb/ft at 2000 rpm. Euro with babby roads and high gas prices? 100nm 1L diesel is good.
>>
>>14022292

I used to say 130 was fine. But stuff now is so pigfat that I think 180-200 is more realistic. Gotta get at least 30mpg though.
>>
>>14022292

At

173 I felt like I wasn't the Fastest, but It wasn't slow compared to alot of the cars on the road but wasn't fun.

When I got FI and pushed 250 whp then it was FUN. Other then top trim sports cars 95% of the cars I would meet stood no chance, but it was controllable except for the Torque steer.

At 340, it more then enough for a 2800lb car that it almost excessive so I turned down the boost.
>>
>>14022480
what car, engine?
>>
250-300 if you know how to drive. 100 if you're an idiot.
>>
>>14022292
I feel like my pig fat 5.bro needs another 200hp to feel even remotely quick. Based on how it felt to drive a stock cvt civic, maybe 350hp.
>>
Depends how heavy the car is.

For 3,000lb I think 200hp is perfectly fine for a daily driver.
>>
>>14022720
Kia forte with the 2.0 theta II. Has built block, evo x manifold, devils own meth kit.
>>
150 to 200 hp at the rear weels per ton, similar or a little bit more torque.
>>
Depends on power/weight ratio. 130hp on a 1000kg Corolla hatch is "okay", 130hp on a 1500kg Volvo 940 is like a glacier moving.

The bare minimum is 100hp/1000kg.

150hp/1000kg is where the fun begins and is enough for all daily driving situations.

200hp/1000kg is where the actual performance begins.
>>
250-300, but it has to be a turbo 4
>>
>>14022292
For the average person driving a car with average weight, 250 HP with 230 lb-ft of torque is about maximum.
>>
>>14022955
This is pretty accurate, but you also get the benefits of low weight so as weight increases power has to non-proportionately increase.

150hp to 1000kg will be a lot of fun.
200hp to 1250kg not as much even though it's proportional.
>>
>>14022292
what is the point oi fbhp
>>
I think it's those things you naturally get used to and then want more.
I drove a car with 130hp for years and when I got a 200/200 car that felt more than necessary , couple months later now I'm looking at 300/300 because I feel slow now
>>
So is it true then about the Golf GTI? "All the car you will ever need"? It got progressively more powerful as it got more pigfat, safety regs and all. And the power to weight ratio stayed about the same.
>>
120 hp per ton, less for diesels because of more torque.
>>
>>14022995
I think I understand what you're getting at. 400 hp in a 2000 kg car won't be nearly as much fun as 200 hp in a 1000 kg car.
>>
In reality, i didnt struggle in my ~80hp toyota aygo. You dont need anything for commuting. Around 200hp 210nm will be enough to feel really fast in daily situations. I daily a car with 350hp and about 300nm and it feels comically fast in daily situations.
>>
200-300 is the sweet spot for me and daily commuters. My current car has 350, but for me it's a little excessive.

200-300 can be utilized, especially if you have a job like mine and are constantly on highways fighting times and traffic.
>>
about 350
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.