[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anything I need to know about working on newer cars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (96KB, 690x430px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 690x430px
Is there anything I need to know about working on newer cars (2005 or newer)? Like, would it fuck up the computers if I replace the air filter or or alternator or some shit?

I've only worked on early 90s cars.
>>
>>14021667
Just to give you an idea:
You can't change a tire yourself, cause the tire pressure sensor needs to be calibrated with proprietary software.
>>
File: image.png (63KB, 300x185px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
63KB, 300x185px
>>14021678
>>
>>14021678
I've been wondering. What do you think would happen if you just yanked the sensors?
>>
>>14021721
Car gives you an error and advises you not to drive. If you crash or something, the insurance won't cover anything because a safety feature was disabled.
>>
>>14021743
>insurance doesn't cover a crash because of a tpms light
I guess all those people without them are royally fucked.
>>
>>14021667

Every part of the car has a sensor, even the blinker fluid.
>>
>>14021755
There's a difference between a car designed without a feature and a car designed with it that has it malfunctioning.
These features don't exist in a vacuum, the rest of the car is made with it in mind.
E.g. cars with power steering can have wider tires, a smaller steering wheel and a lighter steering column that handles less torque.
And the computer that adjusts all the different gizmos on the fly needs info from all the little sensors, otherwise it'll likely go into emergency mode which kills efficiency and power and just lets you limp to a shop.
>>
>>14021755
Not really. It's like with airbags. If you don't have them in the first place, no prob that's just how the car came out of the factory but if you go out of your way to disable and remove them, you made your car less safe than it's supposed to be so your insurance has a case to deny coverage.
>>
>>14021743
>>14021755
According to what I've read, disabeling safty features (aftermarket airbag-free steering wheels are popular) insurance isn't an issue so long as your policy covers the vehicle in the altered condition. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the only place where you would be fucked is if your policy took tire pressure sensors and you removed them later.
>>
>>14021794
>no tpms
>get ran over by an 18 wheeler
>insurance denies claim because no tpms
>>
>>14021806
Yes, that's how it works.
Read your insurance policy before you sign.
>>
>>14021809
No that's not how it works. You don't get a claim denied for a completely unrelated incident.
>tree falls on car
>denied because tpms removed
>>
Its not a big deal, just harder to get to stuff occasionally and you dont have a throttle cable anymore. Wtf is this thread on about? $100000 cars with a welded engine cover so you never touch it? 90s cars had computers for the most part that did similar things.
>>
>>14021667
RTFM and stop being a Luddite.
>>
>>14021667
>2015
>working on newer cars
Just take it to the shop for maintenance like all the other good goys, not worth the hassle if you fuck something up while it is still under warrenty
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.