[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your definition of supercar?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13

What makes a car, or excludes a car from being super?
>>
>>14020062
wrong wheel drive

i dont even have to say the real name, you know exactly what im talking about
thats why no matter the bullshit excuses, people know at heart
>>
i think the entire idea is fucking stupid.

>super car
>hyper car
>le super hyper car
>difference between hyper and super
>what makes it a super

its honestly jalopnik tier drivel
>>
>>14020062
A supercar is something the company spared no expense making to the best of their ability.

The gtr is the perfect example.
Muscle cars, while awesome fun engines and just as powerful in a straight line, cannot track as well. This is because they were not designed with everything in mind, just a big engine.

Supercar is when they go all out, basically.
>>
>>14020083
And on this note, a la Ferrari is a supercar but your regular one is just an exotic.

Supercars are the very best that company can offer. (And must be to the standard of their competitors)
>>
>>14020083
>BOOGATI VAYROON TRACKS SO WELL THEY REALLY WENT ALL OUT NOT JUST STRAIGHT FAST

are you 15?
>>
>>14020083
gtr is not a supercar
>>
>>14020078
http://www.motortrend.com/news/six-decades-of-supercars/
>The first known usage?
>As far as we can tell, the term was coined in an advertisement for the Ensign Six, all the way back in 1920.
>>
>>14020106
Yes, it is. He is right, amerifat. Gtrs outperform nearly every other car stock except 918's and p1's. To be in that tier is god damn fucking respectable
>>
>>14020115
are you trying to make some kind of point? just get on with it.
>>
>>14020106
>he thinks the amount of money you spend makes it a supercar instead of its performance

My fucking sides, back to your shit v8s that lose to a v6 and spin out in the rain
>>
In my mind, a super car is a car whose design goes far beyond the normal usage characteristics for cars. Instead of a vehicle for transportation, it is a demonstration of racing technology that can be used in the street. A hyper car is simply a super car that is at the bleeding edge of performance. A Porsche 918 is a hypercar, a Bugatti Veyron is a super car.
>>
>>14020144
He was fucking asking for it with that retarded statement.

A gtr is undeniably a supercar in every category but price. And this is coming from a fan of Aussie muscle and gtrs are my enemy.

But I'll still give respect where it's due.
>>
File: koenigsegg-agera-rs[1].jpg (108KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
koenigsegg-agera-rs[1].jpg
108KB, 1200x900px
>>14020128
>beats any car that isn't a 918 or P1
>Forgets about Koenigsegg

Everyone forgets about the supreme company
>>
a car that goes faster than my car
>>
File: viper_vs_gtr.png (297KB, 749x700px) Image search: [Google]
viper_vs_gtr.png
297KB, 749x700px
>>14020128
and sneks
>>
What is burger going to do when no snek?
>>
>>14020329
>ford gt
>350r
>z28
>>
>>14020343
Ferd GT is the wrong tier for shitposting dank memes.
>>
>>14020282
>snek

Please, I could suck 50 dicks faster than a dodge could fuck my asshole inside out.
>>
>>14020062
presumably it has to be superior
not like matters now that only scrubs have them
>>
A supercar is any car which can never be driven to its limit on any public road in the world.
>>
>>14020485
99% of people on the road (and 100% of this board) cant take a corolla to it's limits on a public road.
>>
File: fiat arbarth 695.jpg (360KB, 1989x1342px) Image search: [Google]
fiat arbarth 695.jpg
360KB, 1989x1342px
>>14020500
easy when you only have 20 hp
>>
>>14020070
I'm glad that at least someone agrees with me on this site
>>
>>14020070
FUCK FRONT WHEEL DRIVE
>>
>>14020062
Something that's built to race, but is used as a status symbol instead.
>>
>>14020500
>go on highway
>floor it to the limit
>>
>>14020062
Nice pic ----Saved
>>
File: xctlubkgvqedofxesfnj.jpg (655KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
xctlubkgvqedofxesfnj.jpg
655KB, 2048x1536px
>>14020083
the GTR is not a supercar.
supercars are mid-rear-engined

if ford built an awd-ecoboost-super-mustang it wouldn't be a supercar either
>>
Any performance car that costs over $250,000
>>
>>14020078
Super cars are the ones that are in the obtainable range for rich people. Hyper cars are crazy shit like the McLaren P1, Bugatti, Venom GT that only the monstrously rich people can afford.

Usually this coincides with crazy performance but there are some outliers like extreme luxury cars. What are those called? They certainly cost as much as super cars but they aren't.
>>
>>14020500
>99% of people on the road (and 100% of this board) cant take a corolla to it's limits on a public road.

Probably because a Corolla is a fucking economy car and not a sports car and not meant to be "taken to the limits" you fucking chimp
>>
>>14020062
Supercars are when there is a waiting list and people paying over list.
>>
>>14020152
The Bugatti Veyron is on the bleeding edge of driving fast in a straight line, though.
>>
>>14021650
>hellcat
>gt350
>supercars
>>
>>14021650
So...1989 Mazda MX-5?
>>
0-60 in less than 3 seconds stock
>>
>>14021692
>>14021695
OKay I'll shut up now
>>
File: 1970-citroen-sm-v8-13_large.jpg (165KB, 960x634px) Image search: [Google]
1970-citroen-sm-v8-13_large.jpg
165KB, 960x634px
>>14020070
It's funny how a drivetrain can cause such anal pain, but the Citroen SM V8 is as much of a supercar as the maserati Bora.
>>
>>14020062
There can be no satisfactory definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essentially_contested_concept
>>
>>14021585
So a ferrari FF isnt a supercar?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (83KB, 403x436px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
83KB, 403x436px
>>14021838
nope
>>
File: 12+-+1.jpg (38KB, 477x269px) Image search: [Google]
12+-+1.jpg
38KB, 477x269px
Pic related is a super car.
Its just super how it can easily transport so many people in one day.
>>
>>14021833
There just isn't one yet.

That's why /o/'s top brains are on the subject.
>>
>>14020128
So can a shifter kart

Are glorified go karts considered super cars too?
>>
>>14020062

If define it as surpassing the norm. To me, it'd the difference between a R/T and a Hellcat. It's the difference between a Viper and anything else America builds. It's that thing you know when you see - it's fuckig special, but in a truly quantifiable way.

A super car is a grocery getter with 707 horsepower and a top speed of 200mph that can still be dailied. A supercar is a hunk of fiberglass and steel with an old school, n/a V10 that can shatter records made by a million dollar car.

I would not call shit like the 570S or 458 Italia supercars because they're normal for exotics. I think the goalposts have moved in the last decade.
>>
A supercar is any exemplary automobile, built with the intention of doing something better than any other vehicle.

It could be incredibly fast, or have amazing handling, or be notably capable on all terrain, as examples.

The only thing that excludes a car from being a supercar is simply the intent of its design. A Volvo 240 is a super car with it's legendary durability, but it's not a supercar because it wasn't expressly designed to be one of the hardiest vehicles on the road, it just ended up that way thanks to its provenance.
>>
I think it only refers to the top 3 cars at any time.
>>
expensive
prestigious
high performance
mid engine
>>
A supercar is when a lot of people want it but only few can have it. You can argue about power and weight and track times and price and god knows what else until the sun goes down, but this is what it boils down to.
>>
>>14021616
>Venom GT
>Hyper Car
>>
>>14020102

It ran the top gear track a second behind the GTR and a second ahead of the Zonda.

But The buggati is a supercar in terms of It is a Speed monster well being Super luxury
>>
>>14021616

>Venom GT

Im sorry but kit cars by tuners don't count.
>>
>>14020282
Viper has more horsepower, that's not fair.
>>
>>14020423
Thats....

Impressive?
>>
>>14021585
ZR1, z06 (here we go), GT-R (just for the fan boys), SLR M, Bentley CGT Speed (eh), ASTON wun-77, LFA, Shelby Cobra (in its day)

I get that most of these are debatable but you really gonna tell me the one-77 isn't a super?
>>
>>14022677
I like both the Z06 and the GTR, but I wouldn't consider either of them a supercar. Even the ZR1 is kinda questionable for me.
>>
>>14022596

I am american.

The venom gt is nothing more then a kit car.

Come back when you register at the dmv as a venom. Cause as of current it registers as a modified lotus, just like any other kit car would.
>>
Whether or not a car is a super car can easily be determined by a panel of experts.

No credible source would ever say the C7 or the R35 are super cars.
Super car isn't about performance.
It isn't about price.
It isn't about layout.
It isn't about country of origin.
Too many interchangeable factors have to come together the right way to make a car a super car.
We all know a super car when we see one, even if we can't define one.
>>
>>14022813
I agree for the most part; it is fairly subjective. I would disagree and say it is partly about performance (layout often being a byproduct) and price. Again, it's subjective...as I wouldn't consider a 5,000lb Rolls Royce that can do 0-60 in 4ish seconds (due to massive amounts of power) and costing $300k, a super car.
>>
>>14022399
This, basically.

The definition of supercar is always the same, but what is a supercar changes with technology. Supercars are expensive and fast, but that's a byproduct, not a requirement.

Supercars are cars which are built for the express purpose of dick-waving. They are not built to a cost, they are built to be as good as they physically can be at the time they are built (while still being road-legal).

Veyron was a super car (reminder: it's fucking old now) and so long as new versions keep holding top speed records, it will continue to be a supercar. It it built to be as fast as physically possible without regard to cost. To that extent, it also handles well for its size and is luxurious: because it fucking can.

P1 and 918, LaFerrari etc. All supercars ("hyper car" is just a very good supercar, very subjective) are just the leading edge of what the industry can produce.

Ford GT, GTR, Corvette: not supercars. They're great vehicles (probably), but they're either built to a price or built to a spec. They are NOT the best they could have been as a car, even if they are the best they could be for a race series, corner, or price.

>tl;dr Supercar = car built to do something as good as it possibly can when it's built, regardless of other metrics
>>
>>14022977

I would say the new Ford gt blurs the line a bit
>>
>>14020176
>The trio this the trio that
>Everyone igno... hides from Koenigsegg because they don't want to lose when there's two other cars watching.
>>
>>14021585
so youre saying a toyota mr2 shitbox and an alfa romeo 4c are supercars
>>
factory made
mid engine rear wheel drive
2 seats
a lot of hp
>>
>>14023144
I forgot to add
A lot of HP that a novice or some with intermediate skills of driving can't handle
>>
>>14023152
Then none of the modern supercars apply since they're all full of so many driver aids.
>>
File: Sanic.gif (30KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Sanic.gif
30KB, 256x256px
>>14023138
nah man they gotta go fast too
>>
>supercar
handcrafted to be fast and look amazing
>hypercar
handcrafted to be even faster and look even more amazing
>>
It must use cutting edge technology and be produced in limited numbers whilst not being a special version of an already existing model.
>>
>>14023277
You just described a hypercar.
>>
File: McLaren-LM2-GT.jpg (149KB, 709x425px) Image search: [Google]
McLaren-LM2-GT.jpg
149KB, 709x425px
Pretty much the formula for a Mclaren F1, a true supercar should be made without compromise.
>>
>>14023284
Nope, just supercar.
>>
>>14023295
>Engine gets too hot
GOLD THAT SHIT!
>Brakes aren't really up to the task on current tech
CARBON CERAMIC THAT SHIT!
>I want to have the ultimate driving position
PUT THAT SHIT IN THE MIDDLE, SHIT!
>I wa...
SHUT YOUR SHIT! HERE HAVE THIS
I call it the F1, because it's just that fucking high-tech, that fucking fast. Now shit off!
>>
>>14023311
And then there's that sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-C49A-iTdM

Fuck these people for butchering that video.
>>
>>14023295
I remember Gordon Murray saying that the McLaren F1 that won LeMans could have had number plates put back onto it after the race and been driven back to Woking if they wanted to, just to wind up Porsche and Ferrari that they won with a street legal production car.
>>
>>14023337
That's basically what the LMs are.
Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFLQAEiO7xo
>dat power/weight
>dat engine
>dat powerband
>dat everything
>>
>>14023350
Audi R18 isn't road legal.
>>
File: 1229291829502.jpg (882KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1229291829502.jpg
882KB, 2048x1536px
>>14023361
Wat? LMs as in F1 LM. As in the...5, I think, orange F1 specials.
>>
>>14023374
Oh that, yeah, thought you meant LM as a whole.
>>
>>14023337
All rally cars are road legal, that doesn't make them supercars despite them being able to rape almost anything on the road
>>
>>14023157
having HP is one thing.
Having driver aid is another.
>>
>>14023092
It's expensive, but we haven't seen any new technology with it. They're not pushing the boundaries of what's possible. They're pushing it for their race spec, sure, but that's not the same. It might have a "super engine" since it's so small but has that much HP, for instance, but that doesn't make it a super car.

Blurred but not crossed.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.