[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retarded Drivers + Four-Way Stops

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8

File: stop.gif (201KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
stop.gif
201KB, 500x500px
How does /o/ handle four-way stops?

I repeatedly find that drivers are somehow incapable of determining who arrived at the stop first. I always pay close attention to this, even adjusting my approach to make sure I don't get there at the same time as someone else. The goal is to avoid that retarded interaction where you're both just sitting there, giving each other the wave-thru. If you decline my first wave, I'm going. Simple as that.

Anyways... Just a rant. This seems to happen to me at least a couple times a week. I think the problem is people are too polite.

Just. Fucking. Go.
>>
People want to see my whole vehicle and get a good look at it going by and shit so they stop and stare.

One time I saw a guy stall and then start his car and go while I just watched lol
>>
In your picture only the lane coming north would stop.
>>
>>14011989
false everybody would stop and wave each other on to show dominance and assert their ego
>>
Developed countries handle four way stops in saying that you should always give way to the car coming from your passenger side, and of course turning rules still apply. Only moron shitholes would declare that the first car at the intersection has the right of way.
>>
>>14011988
>One time I saw a guy stall and then start his car and go while I just watched lol

Did he speed off, embarrassed? Drivers always do that when they make a mistake. Stalling... Zoning out when the light turns green... Hah
>>
>>14012004
Weird. Where do you live?
>>
>>14011982

e
The person to arrive at the stop gets to go first. In the event of a tie the person on the right goes. If a tie between two peopletraveling in opposite directions occurs then they both go, but if one is turning the person turning most yeild to the flow of traffic.
>>
>>14012019
Germany.
>>
I've actually never seen a four way stop
>>
>>14012004
>Only moron shitholes would declare that the first car at the intersection has the right of way.

wat?

So if you came to a stop and someone from your passenger side was coming, you'd wait until they've completed their stop then let them go? So you'd sit there for 10 seconds plus?

Stop first, go first. I learned to car to the right has the right of way when arriving at the same time.
>>
>>14012020
>In the event of a tie the person on the right goes.

The problem with this is that both drivers have to be on the same page that they arrived at the same time. One guy might just say fuck it and go, so you're putting your faith in the other driver to go by these rules. Not tryin to get t-boned.
>>
>>14012033
I think it might just be different in Germany.
>>
>>14012033
Traffic rules are meant to make traffic safer and unmistakable, not quick. What your rules create are hurries and misunderstandings.
>>
>>14012034

Im pretty sure that its the law and not just etiquette. If you get hit the person that failed to yield is at fault.
>>
>>14012048
How do you know whom of the two failed to yield if they both thought they were in the right and it's statement versus statement?
>>
File: 1449035354341.jpg (31KB, 280x281px) Image search: [Google]
1449035354341.jpg
31KB, 280x281px
I'll time my arrival at a 4way if there's lots of traffic so that other people don't get all fucking confused. It just makes it easier on everyone. The worst is when a bunch of people arrive at once. It's based on who stopped first, but some people think that "stop" means "rolling stop", so if you have two people who come to a complete stop, and then a rolling stopper, the whole situation just gets fucked as the true stoppers and the rolling stoppers now have no idea who should go.

There's one neighborhood I avoid because of all the 4 way stops and lots of traffic, it's a fucking nightmare
>>
>>14012044
In all fairness, I believe traffic rules are also meant to encourage efficient flow of traffic. Bottom line is, I think it's just different in your country. No need to get salty.
>>
>>14011982
>How does /o/ handle four-way stops?
I avoid countries that have them. They make no goddamn sense. Just remove the signs and give way to the guy coming from your right.
>>
>>14012019
Literally anywhere except the US
>>
>>14012057
If you want efficiency, build roundabouts.
>>
>>14011982
Whoever arrives first has right-of-way unless two cars arrive at the same time and then the car that is to the right of the other gets right-of-way.
>>
>>14012048
>>14012054

I'm not questioning the law, only saying that cars arriving at the same time may be interpreted differently by both drivers, potentially creating an accident. How do you know the other driver doesn't think he got there first?
>>
>>14012004

Cars move in order of arrival, when they approach at the same time yeild to driver on right.

Look it up.
>>
>>14012080
That's exactly what I said, I don't know why you're quoting me.
>>
>>14012085
Is there someone with a stopwatch timing the arrivals of cars? No? Then it's not unmistakable and therefore it's unfit to be a law.
>>
>>14012092
Law don't have to be unmistakeable. There are judges to interprete them and make final decisions.
>>
>>14012092
Do you just disobey laws you deem to be unfit? You seem to be having some trouble accepting that traffic rules may differ between countries.
>>
>>14012058
>>14012065
>>14012073
Elitist European appears...
>>
>>14012094
Laws should be unmistakable if they can easily be unmistakable. Exhibit A: THE REST OF THE FUCKING WORLD.
>>
>>14012111
If you don't want to be called out on your stupidity, don't act stupid.
>>
>>14012092

Man, I live in the USA. We are an entire country based on laws that shouldn't be laws.
>>
>>14012120
How am I the stupid one? You don't seem to have the mental capacity to understand that traffic laws in Germany don't necessarily apply to every other country in the world.
>>
>>14012122
>tfw googling stupid american laws and laughing my ass off
>>
>>14012149
>How am I the stupid one?

You are American, are you not?
>>
>>14012149
Which is not what I claimed. What I claimed is that the American four way stop laws are fucking retarded regardless of whether or not they apply or don't apply in who knows where. Actually they don't have to apply anywhere, even in theory they're moronic.
>>
>>14012160
It's really bad honestly, don't even bother posting it on /g/. Case and PSU are especially garbage.
>>
>>14012166
welp too late
>>
>>14012166
>Corsair
>bad
>>
>>14012174
>VS series
>not complete and utter trash

Don't start this with me.
>>
>>14012157
Wow. Pullin' out the tired stereotypes. Do you have emaciated Jews locked up in your basement?
>>
>>14012182
I'm not him, just could resist the opportunity to do that joke. Calm down I don't really mean it.
>>
Some people arrive after me and go before me. I Gove them a beep beep beep and go myself.
>>
File: 1447211236000.png (231KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
1447211236000.png
231KB, 342x342px
>city starts building round-a-bouts
>I get all excited because I know how they work and they're pretty efficient
>finally get to try one for the first time
>people stopping in the round-a-bout to wave people in
>people just flying in without yielding
>old ladies driving around the wrong way

They had to do a front page spread in the local paper explaining how round-a-bouts work
>>
>>14012190
>putting hyphens in roundabout
>>
File: sumo.png (43KB, 419x382px) Image search: [Google]
sumo.png
43KB, 419x382px
>>14012212
>pointing out bad spelling on the internet

I bet you're mom is so proud of you ;^)
>>
>>14012162
You were elitist and cunty from the get-go.
>Developed countries handle four way stops...
>Only moron shitholes would...

Stop trying to play innocent.
>>
>>14012226
And in what way was that wrong?
>>
>>14012054

If you came from the right and said you arrived at the same time, the cop will take your word.
>>
>>14011982
I was taught in Texas that its first to stop = first to go, and when multiple cars stop simultaneously, the departure order goes clockwise around the intersection. Pretty easy, no waving or confusion, and I've never been in or seen a collision at an intersection like this (except where some fag doesn't realize theres a big red stop sign and blasts into crosstraffic at 60 mph).
>>
>>14012352
But then again this is just common etiquette, there's no laws in Texas that actually govern 4 way stops aside from "Don't enter the intersection if it isn't safe for you to cross"
>>
Mexicans handle this by
>gottagofast
>Fuck everyone else I need to shave those 0.03 secs from my commute
>>
File: MichiganLeft_graphic[1].png (31KB, 800x286px) Image search: [Google]
MichiganLeft_graphic[1].png
31KB, 800x286px
I live in michigan and it's surprising how many people fail at using a michigan left
>>
File: raw.gif (358KB, 500x292px) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
358KB, 500x292px
>>14012381
>>
>>14012352
>>14012372
yes there probably is called the RIGHT of way as in when arriving at the same time the person on the RIGHT of you has the RIGHT of way
>>
>>14012372
In Canada (Ontario at least, dunno about Quebecistan et al), the drivers handbook says "first stop first go, driver at the rightmost has right of way if all have stopped simultaneously". Not sure if it's law, never checked, but I assume it sort of is. We have a "failure to maintain right of way" traffic violation, so I assume it would fall under that.

I didn't know there was any other way of doing 3 or 4 way stops.
>>
File: carddolan.png (366KB, 609x403px) Image search: [Google]
carddolan.png
366KB, 609x403px
>>14012381

>living in mishitgan
>>
>>14012033

I don't want to be safe I want to fast though.
>>
>>14012381

>want to turn left
>drive out of your way
>wait to change lanes twice across traffic
>then turn right

Fucking terrible.
>>
>>14012525
>>14012415
http://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/michigan_left.html
Because you're opinion is better than 50 years of research
>>
>>14012464
Yeah but in the Texas legislation the right side = right of way rule explicitly doesn't apply to marked intersections. Stop and yield signed intersections aren't treated the same as unmarked intersections for some reason.
>>
>>14012004
This applies in the US too. Just that retards in this thread don't know traffic laws. If it is just two people, it is first come first serve. However, if it is a busy 4 way stop with people on each corner, it is supposed to be a clockwise thing.

Usually, in LA, people don't have time for that shit, so we just alternate so left and right go at the same time. Up and down go at the same time. If one has to turn left or right, you use your goddamn signals.
>>
>tfw trucker
>tfw always roll stops and make you slam on your brakes

My truck weighs 56,000 pounds I have the right of way no matter what faggot
>>
>>14011982
Remember seeing one of these when I was in Canada. My country doesn't use them.
>>
>>14012478
It's the same thing here in Quebecistan.
>>
>>14012381
I just got in a car crash with a guy doing an illegal u turn in front of me. I am getting some PTSD flashbacks just looking at this picture. Even worse if there is no stop signals to separate the u turn people.
>>
>>14012004
Here it's whoever gets there first
>>
>>14014014
Thisiswhatretardsactuallybelieve. Good luck telling a judge DURR IT'S HIS FAULT I RAN A STOP SIGN A
>>
>tfw I live near a 5 wqy stop
>everyone becomes retarded
>>
>First come, first leave.
>Unless two cars stop at roughly the same time.
>Car to the right side has 'right' of way.
>>
>>14012381
That look retarded, does it actually help?
>>
If i arrive at the same time as another guy and he hesitates at all I'll go. Ain't got time for that shit.
>>
File: 1405603192001.jpg (11KB, 200x178px) Image search: [Google]
1405603192001.jpg
11KB, 200x178px
>>14012381
>perfectly usable intersection with traffic lights RIGHT THERE
>make left turns illegal and force people to make u-turns across multiple lanes instead
>>
>>14017089
Same. Mommies making tendies don't want to be late.
>>
>>14012073
>roundabout placed damn near in the center f the busiest place in town
>connects 2 major roads that each come off a highway
>always a shitload of people
>muhyield
>"is he turning or is he going?"
>turns
>"sweet, guess ill g-"
>68 more cars drive past
>massive line behind and next to me, just waiting to get in
>wait 5 minutes for red light at previous intersection
>can finally go and now make the poor fuckers at the 3 other sides wait

They're a pain in the ass in busy areas
4 way stops are superior if you don't want to cut off a bunch of soccer moms
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.