[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can someone explain crankcase ventilation to me pls? it looks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

can someone explain crankcase ventilation to me pls?
it looks simple on some cars and a clusterfuck on others.
why is this and what is the best way to design a system on an engine you're rebuilding from scratch?
>>
File: 924[2].jpg (78KB, 960x539px) Image search: [Google]
924[2].jpg
78KB, 960x539px
bimp
>>
on most cars you arent revving the tits off it all the time so the excess oil that can be sprayed out (vented) isnt that high - so its pretty basic.

on a car like you posted, this is probably tracked (or at least should be) so due to spending more time at higher revs more oil can be vaporised/atomised/whatever the term and needs to be caught and emptied.
>>
>>13998105
but with an engine like the RB that has oiling issues what is the way to spec it from scratch?
assuming some hard driving, more power than stock and the occasional track day?
any basic principles?
>>
>>13998140
Thought most people used a dry sump to solve that
>>
>>13998583
A dry sump does nothing to ventilate the crankcase.
>>
File: pcv_b20_fi.jpg (41KB, 600x565px) Image search: [Google]
pcv_b20_fi.jpg
41KB, 600x565px
This is a PCV system for an old Volvo, dont know how different it is from modern cars, but principles should apply I think
>>
pistons dont seal 100%
thus blowby occurs

if you add more boost, more blowby occurs
if you dont vent your crank case, seals will blow out, if you have just a vent to atmosphere it will work just fine, that is if you can deal with the engine spraying oil fumes and mist all over the bay/motor.
The solution that most manufacturers choose, is a simple catch setup with a vaccum pull tied to your intake.
With highly modified engines its sometimes desired to have a catch can system installed to help alleviate the problem of excess blow by and oil spray to be caught/filtered and reused instead of it just dumped wherever.

you NEED vents, and you NEED them to be clear of any crap that might slow the airflow.

you DONT need some overly elaborate catch system, or any catch can system.

a simple hose from the valve cover to the intake is sufficient for 90% of the cars on the road. DIESELS NOT INCLUDED.
>>
>>13998664
Alphonse put your name back on
>>
File: 1402725733983.gif (646KB, 200x153px) Image search: [Google]
1402725733983.gif
646KB, 200x153px
>>13998664
>the entirety of that entire image and everything in that entire image entirely
>>
>>13998724
just report and hide. dont give shitposters any notice.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.