[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Huge powerful cars vs. 70 to 120hp 1ton shitboxes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 11

File: 1441732459214.jpg (51KB, 604x550px) Image search: [Google]
1441732459214.jpg
51KB, 604x550px
Why is it so hard for people to understand that you perceive speed in small, light and almost non-insulated cars totally different than in huge, modern cars?

In your average modern 1.8 ton car you have literally tons of insulating materials and metal around you. This is okay since it keeps you way safer and relaxed than the old and loud shitbox but it also more and more disconnects you from what is happening outside.

This is why hooning around like a madman in a 100hp golf mk2 is usually way more entertaining than doing the same in a 200hp modern equivalent.
And people still think the "driving a slow car fast is fun" is just a maymay
>>
>>13990840
Only americans don't get it. Mazda has said many times before that it is better to go fast in a slow car, then to be forced to go slow in a fast car.

0-60 in 5 seconds? Cool, enjoy going 30 on public roads.
>>
>hit 250 kph limiter in friend's Audi A5 on the Autobahn
>"oh, okay, didn't expect it this soon"
End of story. Zero excitement.
>>
>>13990868
>MUH AMERICANS
>>
>>13990868
>>13990884
This.
But apparently numbers on paper are more important for most people to be able to show off.

It's hard to show off to others saying "my shitbox only has 95hp but it goes like stink" compared to "I just got my brand new BMW 435i".
>>
I hate to give Top Gear as an example, but in the words of Captain Slow, it is more fun to hoon around in a shitbox on the edge at moderate speeds and still being relatively safe, whereas a supercar is only exciting at breakneck speeds and one-bad-move-away from death. Even Clarkson of all people had acknowledged this in his GT86 review.
>>
>>13990884
BTW, what did you think of the A5's steering? I heard it's really numb and no fun at all.
>>13990840
This tbqhwyfampai
>>
With a small shitbox you can even have fun on a kart track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_Ui2pULeos
>>
>>13990840
You know whats even better than going fast in a shitty small motor car?

Going fast in a big motor truck fuck you shitbox drivers and fuck you brand name "luxory" keks
>>
>>13990840
>This is why hooning around like a madman in a 100hp golf mk2 is usually way more entertaining than doing the same in a 200hp modern equivalent.
I'm not excited by either 100hp or 200hp, unless maybe it's in something much smaller than a car.
>>
File: 1448747446698.jpg (80KB, 640x539px) Image search: [Google]
1448747446698.jpg
80KB, 640x539px
>drive my car
>60mph feels fast
>drive my brothers truck
>60mph feels like 30mph

sitting low to the ground is more entertaining
>>
>>13992505
yeah, physics is amazing.

that's also why it's more entertaining when playing racing games to switch to bumper camera instead of cockpit or roof cam.
>>
>>13990840
Why can't /o/ realize that each person perceives "fun" differently. Some people may like heavy cars with bigger hp numbers today, while some prefer smaller hp, lighter cars that are older.

Face it, street legal cars are getting faster and faster. That means that people will all experience "fun" in cars a different way. It could be accelerating to 180 on the highway, or throwing yourself around a twisty road. It doesn't matter because in the end, everyone is having fun.

So fuck off with saying "x is considered more fun" because fun is just your opinion, and your opinion is stupid when it comes to determining other people's likes and dislikes.
>>
>>13992522
because /o/ is 90% 14 year old bus riders shitposting
>>
For the vast majority of the car buying public, car and non car people alike, fun is "does it push me back in the seat when I push the gas pedal down". The same people who follow the recommended speed signs on corners, basically.

Nothing wrong with that, it's pretty pleb imo, but whatever. I like both
>>
File: 1447047222568.gif (449KB, 160x173px) Image search: [Google]
1447047222568.gif
449KB, 160x173px
>>13992522
>So fuck off with saying "x is considered more fun" because fun is just your opinion, and your opinion is stupid when it comes to determining other people's likes and dislikes.
Fuck you, my opinion is right because /o/ is full of busriding faggots who can't accept that the old Corolla they might be able to afford one day is actually a boring piece of shit.
>>
So how about this, why do i see old people, gooks and women drive 20-30 km/h under the speed limit all the fucking time?
>>
>>13992546
Old Corollas aren't boring.
>>
>>13992505
>drive my mini-truck
>im a king
>>
>>13992589
L M A O
THE MAD MAN
>>
File: 1437782698687.gif (2MB, 259x259px) Image search: [Google]
1437782698687.gif
2MB, 259x259px
>>13992589
You're the kind of person who mixes mayonnaise into their ketchup because it's just a little too zesty on its own, aren't you?
>>
>>13992655
How are old Corollas boring?
An "epic" tumblr-tier reaction gif is not an answer.
>>
>>13992660
90 horsepower
Corolla
4 cylinders

An "epic" Chinese cartoon is not an answer
>>
>>13990840
thrashing my 1.2 litre corsa around never gets old, the small ass car body will literally throw you around
>>
>>13990868
Americans get it, Jay Leno preached it as he said you get it to feel it and hear it in evrday driving where as modern fast cars will land you in jail if you want to enjoy it past first gear

Still mentions in every other video that 2nd gear will land you in jail too

Most automotive jounalists praise the ND miata for its super short gearing while I'm on this topic
>>
File: 1436664627608.gif (985KB, 500x252px) Image search: [Google]
1436664627608.gif
985KB, 500x252px
>>13992660
>How are old Corollas boring?
How are they not? A modern performance car can do everything better than an old Corolla. Faster in a straight line, faster through the corners, more reliable, and better fuel economy to boot.

Face it, faster is more fun. Anyone who says otherwise is just a jelly poorfag busrider.
>>
>>13992660
they were considered exceptionally boring cars in their time.
i can't see how this has improved considering they're mostly worn to shit and lots more non boring cars have been made since.
>>
>>13992695
have you ever tried to drive a corolla fast? the challenge is to maintain speed around corners and to not slide out, its fucking hilarious to do it, i used to do it in a 98 festiva on a paddock on bold tyres with friends in the car drinking. Its stupid fun

where performance cars can do it so easily in some aspects takes the fun out of it
>>
>>13992710
>where performance cars can do it so easily in some aspects takes the fun out of it

No, it just takes a higher speed
>>
>>13992710
> have you ever tried to drive a corolla fast

I'd imagine the challenge is to get it going fast
>>
File: 1375188427483.jpg (47KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1375188427483.jpg
47KB, 300x300px
>I've never driven a fast car but my shitbox is definitely more fun!
>>
I like hitting 2k rpms when I make a turn

that makes the rear tires spin

which skids the rear end a bit
>>
>>13992735
how about this;its a scaled down fun.

Instead of taking hairy corners faster wit better handling equipment, slower cars present the same challenge and skills at lower speeds due to inferior characteristics, so at more regular speeds down from say 200km/h that requires a racetrack to enjoy the potential, at say 100km/h a corolla could experience a similar driving experience on a paddock

but you seem pretty firm in your beliefs, so i dont think im going to convince you
>>
>>13992813
>so at more regular speeds down from say 200km/h that requires a racetrack to enjoy the potential, at say 100km/h a corolla could experience a similar driving experience on a paddock

If you had driven both you would understand how ridiculous that statement is. There's A LOT more to performance than going fast. 95% of what makes a performance car more fun at any speed than a shitbox is crisp handling, high level of control over it, and predictability/repeatability in handling input.
>>
>>13992813
> convincing someone that you could have fun going twice as slow in some ancient toyota corolla

I don't think it's him
>>
>>13992813
I dont really agree. Driving shirboxes fast isnt really fun. Shuddering understeer and unpredictable suspensiom characteristics are either forbiddingly dangerous or just feel like youre not in control. Ill admit that 1000 hp hypercars have excessive performance you can never tap into on roads but you want a nice suspension and chassis set up to let you actually feel in control. Also having decent power letting you pull out of corners or drift is great.
>>
>>13992671
Why are such a shitposting loser? Where anons are having decent discussion youre all hurr durr 4 cylinders 90 hp. Are you saying a 4 cylinder car cant be fun? Thats fucking retarded go try an evo or lotus. 90 hp cant be fun? Try karting or a bike.
>>
>>13992855
>>13992776
>tripfag

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>13992753
Top fucking kek
>>
ITT: owners of 200hp 2000/2010s shitboxes attacking 100hp 80s/90s shitbox owners
>>
>>13992660
>>13992710
>>13992813
I'm sorry, while I'm a huge proponent of hooning the snot out of lightweight, low power cars, the Corolla and Camry are soul crushing shitboxes so boring it wouldn't be possible to have fun in one even if you were railing Scarlet Johansen in the back seat.
>>
>>13995966
>if you were railing Scarlet Johansen in the back seat.
ugh tfw no gf
>>
minitruck with mawds is the best, no power , extreme front weight bias, diabolical handling. propensity to locking rear tires.

trying to drive one fast is utterly hilarious.
>>
Oh boy what's another subjective thing we can fight about? What's a fast car? Fun/fast ratios? "Light" vs "heavy"
>>
>>13996111
>What's a fast car?
Any car you can be 95% confident in your ability to outrun a CVPI in. If your car can't turn, you better be able to do >130 without running out of gas in 5 minutes.
>>
>>13995966
Epic Top Gear memes bro
>>
I think shitboxes are fun for a different reason. You can afford to not give a fuck about what happens to it. Wreck a 500$ car, blow engine/trans? Just leave it in a ditch and catch a ride home, jump on Craigslist and buy another.

I wouldn't do that with something nice. Even if cheap a nice car deserves better. Cavvies, Taurii and Saturns? Fuck em. 500$ viking funeral all day.
>>
>>13990840

Look m8. It's fine if you have a shitty car. Not everyone is in a position to own a fast ride. But don't delude yourself into thinking driving around an under powered go kart is the best thing in the world.

Sure you can drive it at it's max. But even when you've got it floored I'll be able to fly past you in my "huge modern car" like you're standing still.

I mean, if that's what you like then sure whatever. Stay in the back with the kiddie cars. The big boys will be so far ahead of you we won't care anyway.
>>
>>13996658
>missing the point completely
>muh straight-lines

burgerclap stop posting
>>
File: image.jpg (178KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178KB, 1600x900px
>>
Driving a slow car fast is definitely more fun than driving a fast car slow. But what people always leave out of that is that driving a fast car fast is more fun than either.
>>
> 2700lb 4sd truck with 110hp on a good day
Heaps of fun to hoon in desu.
>>
>>13996706

That's possibly the dumbest quote ever.

"If you cant' see in the dark with a small LED keychain flashlight, a huge spotlight won't help you." - Bob Retard, Father of Memecars.

>trying to justify owning a Mazda Lawnmower
>always failure
>>
>>13996762
He's talking about going fast in turns, not in straight lines. In that sense he's right. In straight line terms he's wrong but also still kind of right because someone who can't nail a perfect launch and keep a 90hp shitbox in a straight line for one quarter mile sure as hell isn't going to do any better in a 900hp drag monster.
>>
>>13996762
False equivalency, since driving is controlled by drivers input and is something you can change unlike the flashlight. On a track a professional will beat you in a shitbox even if your driving a super car.
>>
File: 1374553477487.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1374553477487.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>>13996771
>>13996780

>literally what memecar enthusiasts believe
>>
>>13996782
>I've never driven on a track
>>
>>13996795

But I have driven a car that can 0-60 faster than a 3 legged dog at least.
>>
>>13996810
>but 0-60
Ask me how I know you're a burger.
>>
>>13996812

That's right. I'm american because my government allows me to own more than 50hp shitbox.
>>
>>13996822
No, it's because you have no comprehension of performance and sportiness beyond quick acceleration. You're probably also the kind of person who calls the Mustang a sports car.
>>
>>13996831
And you're the type that tries to convince himself a 90 HP shitbox is the ultimate fun mobile
>>
>>13996850
And you're the type of person who can't understand an old 90hp shitbox can be fun
>>
>testdrive new miata
>feels so fast
>shit I'm way over the speedlimit
>look on speed indicator
>everything is fine

That's how I like cars.
>>
>>13996782
Think about it, if someone has trouble launching correctly with barely any power, they're just going to spin or slam a barrier when they try to do it with almost a thousand horsepower.

Now, if you can drive fast, either in a straight line or the twisties, with 90hp, then yeah, more power is going to help you, not hinder. The point of the miata is to be an entry level sports car. It's how people learn to drive and get better at it instead of just going balls to the walls in something that might kill them on their first outing.

Take the Viper for instance. You think someone who can't handle a miata can handle that? I forget that actual numbers but some ridiculous percentage of vipers are totaled within an hour of being purchased. People can't handle them because they never learned to drive correctly.
>>
>>13996858
And you have autism
>>
>>13996875
The only autist ITT is you.
>>
>>13996858
By that logic a lawnmower can be fun because you can floor it all you want without getting a speeding ticket.
>>
>>13996875
And your big meanie
>>
File: 1402570794924.jpg (26KB, 560x432px) Image search: [Google]
1402570794924.jpg
26KB, 560x432px
>mfw my car is just under 100hp/ton
>>
>>13996889
Uh, yeah?

Why do you think so many suburban homeowners have riding mowers? It's not because they need them it's because they're a lot more fun than pushmowers.
>>
>>13996889
Except that's not the same logic at all you dumb amerifat.
>>
>>13996889
Lawnmowers are fun
>>
>>13996887
I'm not the one with the delusion that my low power shitbox is better than a that is actually father and handles better than my shitbox
>>
>STOP HAVING FUN GRRR
>calls other people autism
loving
every
lel
>>
>>13996928
>WAHHHH STOP HAVING MORE FUN WITH YOUR CAR THAN I'M HAVING WITH MY MORE EXPENSIVE CAR

Lmao, cry more bitch nigga
>>
>>13996928
>my low power shitbox is better than a that is actually father and handles better than my shitbox

so mad he can't even type properly anymore
back to /r9k/, neckbeard
>>
>it aint fun unless its got 1000 cubic inch cummins diesel yee haw
laffin @ americans
>>
Why can't you understand being paralyzed from the waist down and getting around in a wheelchair is so much more fun than walking or running?
It's the thrill of knowing you could topple over in your chair at anytime and be totally helpless ! So much more exciting than walking!!!
I pity you normies who have to use your legs!
>>
>>13996974
>get btfo
>come up with yet another retarded analogy

Burgerclaps, will they ever learn?
>>
>>13996576
Just because it's lightweight and has a small displacement engine doesn't make a 1300cc corolla the same as a clio williams or something.
Apart from the 4age engine ones corollas are SHIT
>>
how do burgers type while clapping
do they clap with their feet or type with their feet
>>
>>13996987
I thought we were talking about old 4AGE Corollas?
>>
>>13996980
Eurotards, when will they stop being so full of themselves?
>>
>>13996993
we're not anymore
>>
I've never driven a car I couldn't have fun with. Even the dumpiest little rental pt cruiser is fun to tear around with, especially knowing you wont have to fix anything on it.

Driving is fun.
>>
>>13997015
If crossovers count as cars, then there are some cars I can't have fun with. Shitboxes can be fun but with an auto it is pretty numbing. With a manual you can still have fun.
>>
>>13996980
Why can't you understand being mentally retarded is so much more fun than having a normal level of intelligence?
When I almost have a brain anuersm trying to add 1+1 its so much more fun than those normies doing calculus! Hurt durr BTFO burger claps!
>>
>>13997031
>he's still doing it
>>
>>13997035
So mad
>>
>>13990868
Just go fast in a fast car
/thread
>>
>>13997027
Nah, if you set out to have fun with it, you'll have fun with it. A fat, slow autotragic crossover isn't exactly my idea of a fun car but that doesn't mean I can't have fun with it.
>>
>>13996889
>implying lawn mowers aren't fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQWAXzlNGbE
>>
If you only have enough skill and/or intelligence to handle a low powered car then good for you.

But don't delude yourself into thinking that driving a car above your low level isn't fun for people who have the skill/intelligence to handle it.
>>
SHITBOXES B4 MONEYPITBOXES, MOTHERFUCKERS.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHLTlWgSVyg
for comparison
http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow-springs-streets-of-willow
>>
>>13990840
I've heard a lot of people say that you perceive speed more when you're in smaller vehicles and feel safer when in large vehicles but I completely disagree with that. I feel way safer hooning around in a miata or mr2 or something than a truck. Even safer if it's a race car or a go kart. My 3 ton truck with its truck suspension and truck steering always feels like it's on the verge of tipping over. And 90mph in a truck feels way faster than 140mph in a tiny open wheel car, it's floaty and disconnected as FUCK. Doesn't stop me from still hooning it anyway but the smaller vehicles I drive are usually much better set up and feel very sure and planted. The more connected I am to the road surface the more sure I feel in what I'm doing and the more confident I am I pushing its limits.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.