[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I took my car on a racetrack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

...and I liked it.

Now if only I had better front end tyres, weather that wasn't biblical-level rain, maybe a little more horsepower...

I think I managed to pick up some speed as the day went on, even as the weather got worse and the TCS/ABS gave up after two laps and left me on my own to figure it out.

Still, Anyone any pointers for not being a mobile chicane while track driving? How do I git gud? With a focus on driving the same car home again.
>>
What car?

The only real advice on the internet to give is to get access to an instructor. Saying anything else through text is pointless.
>>
>>13989672
Was an RX8.

It did well despite half the 'aids' crapping out after a lap in most session. Probably the ideal car for the conditions.

There were no instructors at this day - was a budget enough affair. Maybe next time I'm on a trackday I'll search one out.
>>
>>13989716
>RX8
Noice
How's the reliability? It's on my "list of cars I'd like to buy once I have money + space"
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xHC10-1zlo

Delicious Dale.
>>
>>13989727
No worse than any other ten year old car. It broke a suspension part once. Took a good service and a blown ignition coil killed the catalyst, but it's never let me down.

If anything, I think taking it to the track did a lot of good. The engine definitely felt a bit better after being wrung out to the limit.
>>
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Focus on you racing line first I would say. Start by running a wider line, and gradually tighten it up as you learn the turns. Focus on being able to nail every turn at a lower speed before trying to set fast laps, as you'll find its much easier to set fast laps when you know how to take the turn just right.

If you can't find an instructor, try and follow someone who is a little faster than you, and copy what they do. Its a less efficient method, but it'll net the same result in the end.
>>
just practice to build confidence.
a lot of lap time speed comes from confidence in braking zones.
most track day drivers aren't even scratching the surface of how deep they can take it into a corner.

getting fast at smooth downshifting and brake modulation, maximizing your braking zones - huge improvement.

but that will come later, for now just seat time, hit your lines, being fast comes eventually if you can get passed the fear.
>>
>>13989775
That's basically what I was aiming to do...

Nic e to know I had the right idea.
>>
>>13989987
also if the car understeers consider a bigger rear swaybar
>>
If you're going to track your rx8 you need a better cooling system, rotaries have shit stock cooling, Mazda cheaps out on this on everyone of their cars.

I've only ever really seen Honda's and Nissan's have sufficient stock cooling for track days
>>
>>13990040
this is true
why does mazda do this?
>>
>>13990040
Seemed fine. But it was a cold day.

>>13990017
I don't really mind the understeer too much, it was controllable while (if I'm honest) I'm not sure if I can really handle a snap of oversteer yet.
>>
>>13989665
>maybe a little more horsepower
I can guarantee you that there's 130 BHP shitbuckets out there posting faster times. More power is a bad thing because it's a bandaid for not enough skill. If you truly want to become a better driver, stick with stock power and summer street tires or treaded R-compounds (not shitty GT or all season tires). If you want to make your car better, focus on cooling, brakes, lightness, and maybe some aero and suspension mods.
>>
File: triumph-spitfire-.jpg (66KB, 565x330px) Image search: [Google]
triumph-spitfire-.jpg
66KB, 565x330px
>>13990017
Sway bars are a terrible thing to use for suspension tuning. They just reduce traction on the side that they're installed on; it's like using a smaller tire in the rear to reduce understeer. You don't want to remove them completely because most IRS systems rely on them to prevent failure modes like pic related, but you do want to use the least stiff sway bars offered for your vehicle.
>>
>>13990169
Sure it seemed fine but a few more laps and you wouldve noticed loss in power, hesitation and sluggishness
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.