[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

who will be buying the overweight cappuccino when it comes out?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (93KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 1024x576px
who will be buying the overweight cappuccino when it comes out?
>>
>>13983979

I've said it once, will say it again

>$15k, will buy
>More than $15k, will not buy

It's that simple.
>>
>>13984061
>new car
>rwd
>sports oriented
>under 15k

Not likely desu
I'd guess 18-20
>>
File: 1449157289138.png (1MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1449157289138.png
1MB, 1920x1280px
>>13983979
Only if they fix that stupid fuckhueg grille
>>
>>13984425
>yfw a spartan base model goes for 23.5k
>>
>>13984061
>$15k, will buy
>More than $15k, will not buy

There will never be a new sporty rwd car for under 19k. period.

Bus riders here seriously don't understand basic economics.
>>
>>13984454
I'm sure someone will make an aftermarket front that looks decent if it was released.
>>
>>13984527
I used to think this, but I'm not so sure anymore. It sounds like this car is happening, and there is no way Toyota would sell it if it was too close in price to the FRS. It will be more than 15k but I doubt more than 20k, everyone would just shell out the extra money to buy an FRS. This car appears to be mostly parts bin as well, which should save a lot of cost. The FRS shares very little with any other Toyota.

What I wouldn't get my hopes up for is 130hp and 2100lbs like they have said. I'm expecting more like 115 and 2300lbs, but I would gladly be wrong. The specs aren't that important if they can keep it as cheap as Corollas and Civics at like 16k - 18k. It would still be faster than anything else for that price, which is all shitboxes. It would also be way more fun for sure.
>>
>>13983979
Is this even coming to the US?
>>
>>13983979
Grill is too big and open, looks like a bass
>>
>>13984648
Probably. It isn't a kei car like OP would have you believe, it is a normal sized car. It's quite a bit longer than the Miata, taller than the Miata and FRS, but quite a bit narrower than both.
>>
File: 1446231921570.jpg (136KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1446231921570.jpg
136KB, 800x800px
>>13983979
Why does Toyota keep trying to compete with the MIATA?!

REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>13983979
Still doesn't beat an MR2.
>>
>>13983979
If it's less than 20k and has at least 150hp, I'll be first in line but seriously doubt it
>>
>>13984619
I can't see the SFR being priced any less than 19k for base trim level. Maybe 18k if Toyota really pushes the envelope. They probably wouldn't have any good profit margin below that.

The max pricing I could see without encroaching on toyobaru prices is 23k. Beyond that point and it wouldn't be worth it unless it had serious engine upgrades and performance part options available.

This is a pretty niche car so Toyota won't be selling many of these. Getting it cheap as possible is probably the best way to keep them selling.
>>
>>13984673
What does that have to do with anything? MR2's haven't been sold in almost a decade.
>>
>>13984672
I'd rather have competition than just one option. It'll keep mazda from getting complacent or trying to compete with higher range cars and driving up the price.
>>
>>13984695
It took almost 10 years for Toyota to try and step outside its 'reliable paddywagon' niche again, and it released a dud with artificial 'engine noise' speakers in the cabin to simulate fun (The 86).

SadFrog Ree has worse 'stats' on paper than the MR-S had, and chances are, the real figures are going to be disappointing. So really, it's not a modern step up for Toyota.
>>
>>13984780
It's not really direct competition, since it is supposed to be a lot cheaper. It might steal a lot of sales due to it's price though, which would cause Mazda to either up the performance of the Miata or lower the price. I'm not sure just how many people are cross shopping them though, many new Miatas are bought by older people who just want a cheap convertible. Enthusiast normally would just go for a used Miata. The FRS is an easier sell since the closest thing is a 240SX, which is 20 years old at the newest and are in worse condition than Miatas. The SFR is the same way as the FRS, and if it's cheap enough it would appeal to not only entry level sports car buyers but entry level car buyers.
>>
>>13984783
It's hard to compare the two, since the MRS was a lot more expensive than this car is supposed to be (under 20k). Today the MRS would cost about 30k, even more than the FRS.
>>
>>13984783
It's going to be more fun than a corolla s and the same price or less. If they use the same engine it will be faster and it is rwd. Don't shit on this thing just because it's not a gtr killer. It's a sports car not a super car. Also the Mr trio was just impractical due to the engine placement. This will be more similar to the na miata I think.
>>
what's gonna handle better?

stock sfr or fr-s with better tires
>>
>>13984783
yeah sure you can make fun of the likely low hp but isn't what's important is the platform?
>>
>>13984783
I don't think you can really compare the SFR or MR2 at all. Different layout and different price range. A 1991 MR2 N/A base new was about 26k and a turbo 32k in todays money. MR-S was also about 30k new. The SFR will be way cheaper than that. No one was comparing older cars in this thread.

Its taken Toyota years to gain confidence in building sports cars because of the economic downturn in the late 90's and early 2000's. They gave up because people lost interest in sports cars and wasn't economical to sell 5000 units a year.
>>
>>13984836
30k in AUD maybe. US it would be 25ish. No way it would be the same price as the FRS/86/BRZ. (Incidentally, a new 86 is 45ish K in AUD)

>>13984844
Agreed the MR series was impractical, but they were a fun sports car. That's really their whole point. The SF-R is like Toyota is making a conservative effort to make something a little more exciting than a Yaris, but less exciting than a Miata. I'm happy that they are making lightweight sports cars again, but it's lame that it's even more watered down than the spyder was.

>>13984860
The platform is crap compared to the midship rounabouts brah.
>>
>>13984848
SFR has weight advantage, but that's it. FRS is much wider, and much lower which probably gives it much better weight distribution. The COG is most likely way lower on the FRS. We also don't know if the SFR will have an LSD stock. It looks like the suspension is pretty much the same, macpherson strut front and multi link rear.
>>
>>13984909
Oh wait, I'm basing exchange rates from ages ago. AUD is shit atm.
>>
>>13984848
If they have the same tires the S-FR might have better skidpad numbers because of the low weight but its low Weight could also limit traction. I think they will be very close with the S-FR getting the edge. Maybe the low weight will not matter because of the short wheel base. Maybe the higher CG of a i4 will hinder it. Who knows but it will be close.
>>
>>13984909
http://www.cars.com/toyota/mr2/2005/snapshot

25k USD, 10 years ago. That's about 30k now. The older MR2s were a little cheaper, more inline with the FRS price. The forced induction models would be over 30k today (16k for the AW11 and 20k for the SW20).
>>
File: 1401167373085.jpg (49KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1401167373085.jpg
49KB, 800x600px
>>13984673
I'm currently converting a 1991 SW20 MR2 to all wheel drive, using a cosworth MT75 gearbox, and running the diff upside down.
The engine I'll be using a nissan VQ35, which I will be destroking to 2litres for rally regulations, and will be using a single IHI Turbine.
I'm currently cutting the transmission tunnel, and my angle grinders a peice of shit, does anyone have any tips here? I've got through 6 of these fucking wafer thin discs so far, all they do is snap into peices.
>Pic related, its the tunnel I'm cutting out the car. Its where the fuel tank would normally be but I'll be running one single carbon fibre fuel cell in the passenger footwell.
>>
>>13984987
Use two awd 3sgtes instead, with two awd transmissions. Also two drivetrains. Also have two different shifters inside the cabin.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.