[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Navy Machinist Mate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: bilde.jpg (42KB, 640x457px) Image search: [Google]
bilde.jpg
42KB, 640x457px
Hey /o/ I wasn't sure where else to ask, so I assume this will be the best board to look for advice.

Basically, I am signing up for the Navy this month, and I'm particularly interested in rating as MM (Machinist Mate); working on a variety of things having to do with engineering and mechanics, and everything from running propulsion systems to fixing refrigeration units.

However, I'm not extensively knowledgeable about automotive work, and math hasn't been my strong suit. But I am very good with my hands, and I know the basics of engines and how things move and work.

How do I prepare for this job? What will I need to do to learn about basic engineering, running machines aboard a ship, etc.

Any and all help is appreciated.

>TL;DR Want to be Navy Machinist Mate. Wat do
>>
Bump for halp
>>
>>13969984
if i had to guess take some electrical classes diesel tech and what not at a community or tech college
>>
>>13969984
I'm an engineer aboard a smaller ship, what do you want to know?
>>
You dont need to prepare. You will be trained to do whatever they want you to do. Also it doesnt matter what you sign up for, if they decide you're dumber than a cummins bro truck than you will be assigned something simpler.
>>
>>13970106
No time, going in this month.

>>13970113
I'm more interested in engine work, maybe desiel tech or something along the lines. I'm not too apt on anything that requires a lot of mathematics.
>>
File: IMG_0304.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0304.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>13970129
I'm not in the Navy but I started just straight decking and learning the basics of running a ship, moved on to learning about the engines and gensets and other machinery. As an engineer you won't be huddled in the engine room constantly, especially not with modern diesel engines that are on warships. If I were you I would prepare mentally for being at sea for extended periods and less on what the job actually entails, that comes with time and experience.
>>
>>13969984
>how do I prepare for this job
You spend a few months in boot camp, go to your a school learn a few things there go to your command, Spend a few months in what ever line shack they put you in until you get your quals and then you get to try and remember everything you learned in school (none of it is actually used though) and from there you spend your next 2-3 years in your job. If you get fucked like I was you spend 6 months out of 5 years in your job because people have no clue what they are doing.
>>
>>13969984
Don't. I was a nuclear MM, you basically just repack valves and clean the ship after going to school, then once you're high enough you don't do shit except watch other people repack valves.
>>
>>13970169
Explain. What do your daily tasks consist of mostly? Have you ever experienced emergency/crisis situations?

>>13970267
What did you do with the rest of the 5 years?

>>13970279
Don' quite know what that is, but from context it seems like it's boring? Elaborate.
>>
Shipmate, FC2 here. Dont go MM you will hate life. What was your asvab? I am about to get out and have an awesome job lined up. Go IT ET FC or EM and you will land a great job when you get out. Seriously, do NOT go MM
>>
>>13970563
60 AFQT , I scored 96 in word knowledge, 93 in verbal reasoning, 83 in general science, can't remember the rest at the moment. Why would I hate MM? What are the responsibilities of Shipmate?
>>
>>13970550
>>13970563
Sorry, verbal expression*
>>
>>13970279
He said a 60 afqt so you don't gotta worry about him getting nuke line and stinkered. And a conventional life is so much better...unless they M-div him anyway, LOL.

All you need to do to prepare is be able to pass a pfa. Which they all blaze it off in boot camp eventually anyway, but it's a lot easier if you can actually do it. Also, know how to swim.

The navy will teach you everything you need to know, that is the point of your schools.

Anyway, I'm a nuclear ET if you have any questions, but you didn't qualify for my shit life so consider yourself fortunate. I'd recommend you go for something like FC if you want an easy navy life. CTT is your best chance for a godly postnavy job, though.
>>
>>13970563
Anyone who says the term "shipmate" without drowning it in verbal irony should be ignored, as a heads up.
>>
>>13970655
Not aiming for anything nuclear, again, not good with mathematics. A simple job would be nice, but I'm really interested in doing hands on experience, especially when it comes to fixing things.

Also, the scores are over a year old, so I'm going to retake it when I get to MEPS this later this month.

>>13970662
Sorry, just realized "Shipmate FC2"; didn't pay attention. Fire controlman seems alright, but I feel like I could do better.
>>
>>13970550
>daily tasks
Everything from starting and monitoring the main and gensets to running the zodiac for various things. We're a contractor so it depends a lot on what needs to be done for that specific trip.
>>
>>13970550
>rest of the 5 years
I spent it at schools or stuck in a line shack doing shit jobs like sweeping or washing aircraft.

can't complain though, they are paying for 70k for my school plus housing and food for the next 3 years.
>>
>>13970676
Radar technician ET is kind of neat and hands on. Quartermaster is another cakewalk job.

Basically your recruiter is going to sell you horseshit and you'll find out what job you really wanted a year down the road.

Also, he called you a shipmate...because he's a fagodactyl.
>>
>>13970676
>shipmate
it means heap of shit, dirt bag, soup sandwich.

you never want to be called ship mate, Of course you are joining now so they are probably going to start pussifying most of you.

Hell you can't even knife hand most people anymore without a report going somewhere...
>>
>>13970730

Eh, it can mean a lot of things. It's just a generic noun for people living aboard together. The context is what's important

>knifehand

Kill yourself
>>
>>13970745
>kill yourself
Why because I speak the truth? Seriously Navy turned into a bunch of pussies lately, little shits not doing what they are told. People getting shit like tablets in boot camp, No punishment for fucking up in boot camp.

Can't even tell someone who fucks up to go clean padeyes while it's raining.
>>
>>13970730
>>13970745
>>13970756

Ah, jargon.

Knifehand?
>>
>>13969984

GM2 here. I play with big guns and little guns. Like was said before, all you have to do is qualify by your ASVAB. The navy will train right after boot. Make sure you can pass a pfa, can afford 8 month deployments (is your family fine with this), and youre ready for some of the worst office politics imaginable. I mean it. Youll have to deal with some of the worst (and best) coworkers--or shipmates--youll ever work with. You really need to assess why youre enlisting and if its worth it.

Btw MMs can have a terrible quality of life on most platforms. Id highly suggest looking into other rates. Considering youre into mechanics, id suggest MR, HT, GSM, CM, SW and there are others off the top of my head. You sound like a tinkerer and you might even consider one of the many electrical rates. Whatever you do, dont go BM and dont fall for the NUC incentives (not worth the hell they go through).
>>
>>13970906
My grandfather was a gunners mate, Chief Petty officer during WW2 and Korea. The fuck drank himself to death.

How's GM working? It also send pretty interesting. Definitely MR looks desirable; but what's the real difference between MM & MR?

And I'm not worried about people, I've been able to deal with shit sacks my entity life.
>>
File: 17z4i2vglvyunjpg.jpg (100KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
17z4i2vglvyunjpg.jpg
100KB, 800x450px
>>13970946

An MR typically works in a tool shop and might be asked to tool a replacement pipe that an MM ruptured when redirecting lube oil.

GM is generally an ok rate. Its a little broken however becuase somewhere in the last decade or two seperate GM rates were merged which each had different skillsets and now GMs are expected to know it all for advancement. As a GM youre really a round barrel or square barrel GM meaning youre shooting rounds or missiles and torpedos. You might prefer being a VLS techician or 5inch technichian. You sound more like a technician than a gun instructor to me.

Its like i said though. Look at every single rate before you jump into MM.
>>
>>13970129
>not to apt on anything that requires a lot of mathematics
machining isnt for you man, promise. you are better suited as a mechanic

>remember all of that math you thought was useless in highschool? thats the math you will use every day as a machinist
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.