[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't license plate holes standardized?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: license.jpg (100KB, 675x398px) Image search: [Google]
license.jpg
100KB, 675x398px
Got a used car from another state, got new plates... the holes on the front don't line up. What the hell is this? This is the dumbest thing to not have standardized, why would one state have different license plate hole widths than another?

And how do I fix this? I don't have a drill, but was thinking of using hammer+nail to try punching new holes in the plate. Is there any other way to attach a license plate to the front? I looked up the law and it looks like taping it to the windshield would not be enough. It has to be securely attached somewhere on the front bumper/grill area. I'll look more into if this would be legal, but could i zip tie it to the grill? would that interfere with anything if it was in front of the grill? I'm guessing theres a reason grills are grills, so would blocking part of it be bad?

Otherwise how much would a mechanic likely charge to either put new holes in the plates or in the bumper? It seems like a simple thing but I feel like a mechanic would still charge more than I care to pay.
>>
>living in a state that requires front plates
>>
Z I P T I E S
I
P
T
I
E
S
>>
>Get self taping screws
>use screw gun, or screwdriver
>put new hole in plate or in bumper
>profit?
>>
>>13964407
Just get a tow hook mount.
>>
File: 1425594339368.png (207KB, 649x404px) Image search: [Google]
1425594339368.png
207KB, 649x404px
>>13964407
Cop's will only give you a no front plate ticket if your a dickhead.

Denver meter cops will no matter what.
>>
>>13964407
but the hole locations are standardized, theyre all in the same place in different states, the shape of the hole is just different
>>
>>13964451
>Cop's will only give you a no front plate ticket if your a dickhead.

Cop is will also give you a no front plate ticket
1- if they are a dickhead
2- if the community they patrol mandates it
3- if they are having a bad day
4- if they are looking for a random excuse to pull you over

Front plates suck. Ohio passed legislation to get rid of them and then some other political bs intervened so we are still stuck with that stupid shit.
>>
>>13964407
are you sure the car didn't just have a plate holder on it before?
>>
>>13964583

Cops have no reason to give you a front plate ticket. Its fucking $25 in colorado

those reasons you gave me are true, but my friends who do run without a front plate haven't been pulled over. So I run without because I like the look.
>>
>>13964625
Then be thankful, Coloradbro. It can be over 100 bucks in OH.
>>
>>13964437
hmmmm... I'll look into that. It probably won't be the right size for the bumper... but I could just drill it through both of them?
>>
>mfw haven't had a front plate for 5 years in a state that requires them
>no tickets
>>
>>13964625
>>13964583
>>13964451
I have heard that metermaids in Downtown Denver pretty much always give you the ticket for it. Also if you get pulled over for something else, would they ticket you for it since you're pulled over already?
>>
>>13964720
Unless you are a dickhead, many of the Colorado cops are really nice. But maybe my view is biased cause I live in a middle class area.

I've driven my straight piped 280Z with my front plate in the windshield past cops. They usually turn their head cause my cars loud af, but I haven't had one pull me over cause of it.
>>
>>13964712
That's the idea of the self taper, it will cut its own hole where you need it, or cut the existing hole to fit size.
>>
>>13964780
Thanks, I'll get some this weekend and get it done. Hopefully I can make it the next few days til then.
>>
>>13964443

This guy knows what he's talking about. I gotta get one for my boxster
>>
>>13964484
the holes in my front bumper (which may have come from a state where front plates aren't needed anyway) don't line up with the license plate holes. The rear bumper works but it has two sets of holes drilled in the rear.
>>
>>13964820
the previous owner probably had a mounting bracket on the car where the bracket had mounting holes different from the plate's but all plates on north america are the same dimensions, it being out of state doesnt matter. just screw in your plate where it covers up the old holes.
>>
>>13964816
I've made it for 5 years and a couple of unrelated parking tickets. No one blinked an eye about the lack of front plate.
>>
>>13964407

even if you get pulled over for doing double the limit during the blinking school zone lights in a red sports car, they won't even bother mentioning the plate. They know it's bullshit.
>>
>>13964878

I don't know. I like to remove any legitimate reason for police to pull me over, I'm young (22), and got a racing stripe on my car. I've gone so far as to remove my license plate frames too.
>>
>>13964965
Perfectly understandable, just mentioning that cops in my area just do not care in the least. If I still smoked weed or something I'd probably have a front plate, but I'm not worried about them finding anything else I do get pulled over so it's worth the possibility of an occasional cheap fine to keep rolling without an ugly front plate.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.