[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advanced manual techniques

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3200x2368px
Hey guys I've got a question for all manual owners who are familiar with things like heel-toe-downshifting and double clutch. So, the steps of double clutch are as following:
1. release gas pedal, press clutch pedal
2. put car into neutral
3. release clutch pedal
4. rev the engine a bit
5. press clutch pedal
6. downshift into desired gear
7. profit
BUT - why can't I just
1. press clutch pedal while holding gas for about 1/3 seconds (so the engine revs up)
2. downshift into desired gear
because if I'm not mistaken, this should have the same effect but with less work. Does it wear down transmission much? It's what I've been doing lately.

>pic not related
>>
>>13950204
What car is that? Sorry I don't have an answer for your question. I reverse Google searched it but nothing came up
>>
>>13950226
It's a porsche eletric concept. Nothing you'd ever see on the road
>>
its bad for your synchros if i recall correctly
>>
You're an idiot
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>13950204
Double-clutching while downshifting just means less wear on the synchros. When you double clutch, as you let the clutch out in N and rev the engine, it gets the input shaft spinning up to about the same speed as the gears and output shaft.

If you just clutch like normal, when you shift into the lower gear, the synchros have to speed up the input shaft ro the right speed. But that is what synchros are designed for.

I don't know why they do it when trying to be a boyracer. Maybe it makes the shifts a tiny bit more smooth since the synchros don't have to do work. Only reason I know about double clutching is because semi truck transmissions don't have synchros so you need to double clutch to get into gears (unless you float them).
>>
>>13950204
Double clutching was a thing before synchros, only aspies bother doing that shit anymore.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3200x2368px
>>13950226
Porsche Mission E. Took these pics at IAA 2015.
>>
>>13950246 when rallying vehicles with low cc compared to kw (basically any turbocharged car) and combined with heel-toe-downshifting it keeps the engine at a high RPM even during corners, thus avoiding turbo lag. Anyway, thanks for the answer! I better give up on what I was doing haha
>>
File: 1445991883568.png (247KB, 652x720px) Image search: [Google]
1445991883568.png
247KB, 652x720px
>>13950226
Porsche's pathetic attempt to compete with Tesla.
>>
>>13950204
Revving in neutral spins up the input shaft inside the transmission so it matches the speed of the gears. If you do it with the clutch in, nothing in the trans is connected, you're only revving the engine.

It's pointless in a modern synchro car.

I learned to do it when I went to Skip Barber racing school, the formula cars they had back then used a non-synchro 4spd straight-cut gearbox, so you had to double-clutch.
>>
You know what pisses me off, people who drive in the city, and down shift to slow down and dont rev match. All your doing is destroying you clutch. Just use your fucking breaks. I get it if you have to slow down in a hurry, or your going down a hill. But rev match or dont do it at all. end rant
>>
>>13950582

how do you know they aren't rev matching?
>>
>>13950582
Got first manual ~2 months ago.

I've gotten pretty good at operating the car, but I still get nervous that I'm doing something horrible to my transmission without realizing it.

Two things on my mind recently are:

1. I rev match every time I downshift, and I generally only downshift once or twice and use the brakes the rest of the way. How do I know I'm doing it right? My downshifts are getting pretty smooth, but the car still jerks sometimes. I'd say I over-rev more than I under rev, though. Will over-revving put the same wear on my clutch as under revving?

2. I've gotten quicker at upshifting, but I notice that "quicker" for me means engaging the clutch, shifting, pressing the gas, then releasing the clutch steady, but quickly. The tac falls faster than if I let the engine drop revs on its own. Is this the proper way to upshift, or should I let the engine rev down before I release the clutch?
>>
>>13950397
This image makes me want to punch a fucking kitten
>>
>>13950582
> autism
Cars are made to downshift without rev matching. Only time you should be rev matching is in boy racer mode or you want to
It literally doesn't matter as 99% of all drivers don't even know what rev matching is
>>
>>13950949
>99% of drivers

93% of drivers don't matter when only 7% of drivers drive stick.
>>
>>13950949
When I downshift without raising the rpm it doesn't seem like a good idea because the car struggles and makes a scary noise.
>>
Anyone else here drive a car where you have to heel-toe downshift with the side of the foot instead of heel and toe? I've gotten to the point over the years where I can do it almost perfectly either way, but I can't do it the takumi animu way in my E30, and it's not even like I have big feet.
>>
>>13950969
Yesh maybe in your burgerland.
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 500x375px
>>13950936
1. engine braking has become a myth. you don't need to downshift at all when for example approaching a red light. let's say you're going 40 in 5th gear and the light turns red, press the breaks until rpm has dropped to about 1000. Then press the clutch until full stop. new brakes are cheaper than a new clutch.
1.2 it doesn't matter. what matters is the difference between actual gear RPM and your rev. if the gear is at 3000rpm and you rev your car up to 4000, it's the same as if you revd it to 2000; the difference is 1000 min-1

2. since the higher gear needs less RPM than the one before you need to drop rev. so don't press the gas pedal and the clutch at the same time. press gas WHILE releasing the clutch. your method hurts clutch and synchros (yellow arrows).
>>
>>13951335
Lol that's an automatic transmission.
>>
Unless your transmission has no synchros there's no point for double clutching and you're just wearing out your clutch faster by engaging it twice. With newer cars all you have to do is rev match for downshifting.
>>
>>13950977
You should definitely try to rev match while downshifting mang. That isn't a myth. You are putting a lot of strain on the trans and whole drivetrain if you don't rev match. If you downshift without revving, verything from the rear wheels to the trans and clutch is now trying to accelerate the revs your engine like 1500rpm in a split second. That's why the car doesn't sound like it likes it.

For me, the smoothest way is when I rev match, I rev a few hundred rpm above the desired rpm's for the next gear, and let the clutch out as I let off the gas and the revs are coming back down.

And engine braking isn't a myth. It is useful in some situations like going downhill or towing a decent amount of weight. It will save some strain on the brakes. But with normal driving, if I'm coming up to a red light in 4th gear where I'm going to stop, I will brake while leaving it in 4th gear. Once I get down to ~1000rpm, I finally push the clutch in.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.