[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Semi-automatic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: 1224-albums13-picture974[1].jpg (87KB, 960x638px) Image search: [Google]
1224-albums13-picture974[1].jpg
87KB, 960x638px
What's /o/'s opinion about semi-automatic transmission?
>>
File: 20151124_164338.jpg (688KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
20151124_164338.jpg
688KB, 1400x1050px
>>
>>13943385

Is this about automatics with manual modes or flappy paddle manuals or what?

Have a 07 Acura TL S type with this. It's an older one but almost never drive it in manual mode. There's a very noticeable delay between pressing the paddle or stick and the car shifting. On the other side though, it will hold the gear you put it into unless it decides you're too close to the limiter or making a stupid choice (Won't let you try to start in anything except 1 or 2, won't let you select inappropriate gears for the current speed, etc).

It was neat for a while but then it wasn't anymore and I just select D for maximum respect.

Others in other cars are likely better or worse.

I'd like to try one of the newer ones and the ones used in high performance vehicles. I bet they're pretty cool.
>>
On supercars or sports cars and the like it's better than manual, though not as fun.

Daily drive, I prefer it. I like to be able to have a bit of fun while not being enslaved to a clutch, especially in heavy traffic.
>>
>>13943428
>There's a very noticeable delay between pressing the paddle
Why do people complain about this?
>>
>>13944167
obviously because the faster it reacts the better it can be. shit when im on my motorcycle i am only in the first 3 gears for about a second each.
response time is critical.

remember dsg type trannies are close ratio
>>
File: penn_trash.jpg (21KB, 700x479px) Image search: [Google]
penn_trash.jpg
21KB, 700x479px
>>13944167
Because if it's DCT it really should be almost instant.
>>13943428
>flappy paddle
top gear babby pls go
>>13943385
Generally not a good thing. If it's connected to a torque converter, it's still a slushbox. If it's connected to a CVT, it's garbage 100% of the time. If it's connected to a DCT, it *can* be good, but for most consumer level cars, it usually isn't.
>>
My dick feels like metal
>>
>>13944189
>obviously because the faster it reacts the better it can be.
>>13944193
>Because if it's DCT it really should be almost instant.
Fast is good, but the people that complain about this like to dickride H pattern manuals which are still a slower shift.
>>
>>13944214
Depends on the delay, and you are in control of how long it takes to shift. Something electronic really shouldn't have any noticeable delay. Short shifter makes thing ridiculously quick.
>>
>>13944225
>and you are in control of how long it takes to shift
You can only move your hand and the lever so fast.
>>
File: IMG_2804.jpg (446KB, 1200x915px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2804.jpg
446KB, 1200x915px
>>13944214
i really need to figure out how to use my cell phone to make videos of how my bike acts. the thing scares me, pulls up the front tire at 68mph with power alone.
>>
>>13944214
>>Because if it's DCT it really should be almost instant.
>Fast is good, but the people that complain about this like to dickride H pattern manuals which are still a slower shift.
What bothers me is not the time it takes to shift but how long it takes for the transmission to react upon input. Sure, a manual is slower but you know exactly when it's going to shift, because you control it. Just my two cents.
>>
>>13944225
>Something electronic really shouldn't have any noticeable delay
There isn't any delay sending the signal from the shifter to the computer. The multiple hydraulically controlled functions after that are another story.
>>
It's automatic.
>>
>>13944232
The point is it isn't frustrating because you know you are responsible for how long it takes.
>>
>>13944254
no one is forcing car makers to use hydraulically based transmissions are they?
they can make them pure electrical. like a train.
as far as i am concerned that is the true future of CVT
>>
>>13944298
I'm sure they just hadn't thought of that, if only they read /o/ and saw your post, it would remedy all the problems with DCTs.
>>
DCTs are fucking awful most of the time.
Laggy throttle, jerkiness, terrible at low and crawling speed, etc...
If you think driving a manual in traffic jam is bad, try a Ford with PowerShift DCT
>>
>>13944298
hydraulics = very high power density. it is possible to transmit very big forces with small amounts of fluid through small diameters which saves room. electromagnetic actors are way bigger, heavier, more expensive, less reliable and more difficult to control and cool.
piezo perhaps has some future.

nowadays ATs can shift very fast, it's just the control unit that slows them down to protect stuff.

source: spent some time in development of the NAG2 and 3
>>
>>
>>13944167
Maybe because when I press a button/paddle I want something to happen instantly, not what feels like 2 seconds later? How is this hard to understand?
>>
>>13945246
Nothing like the mechanical feel of moving the gear and feeling the grab of the clutch, the vibration and wine of the engine you fan feel trough the shifter, then quickly thrusting the shifter at the right RMP, feeling that kick and grab, it's an euphoric feel you can't get with kekShifters/autotragics.
>>
I knew this thread was going to be absolute shit.

There's too many transmissions to generalize. There's a lot of DCTs that are good and a lot of DCTs that are fucking garbage. You get what you pay for.

Anything with a torque converter belongs in the garbage bin, though.
>>
>>13945291
>it's an euphoric feel
Sums you up well.
>>
So /o/ hates flappy paddles, DCTs and slap shift autotragics.

What does /o/ think about dual gate shifters?
>>
>>13945318
if it ain't stick
u suk dik fgt
>>
>>13943385
Depends on what you define as semi automatic.

Sequential>DSG's >Shiftable torque converters> Cvt with lol paddles.
>>
File: M35[1].jpg (525KB, 2384x1788px) Image search: [Google]
M35[1].jpg
525KB, 2384x1788px
>>13945314
>you will never experience intense euphoria
>>
>>13945318
flappy paddles and dual gate aren't a transmission type.
>>
>>13943428
>There's a very noticeable delay between pressing the paddle or stick and the car shifting.

I test drove a 2015 GTI automatic today and the shifts are lightning quick! There is no delay when you hit the right button on the steering wheel and the car is quick too. You should go and test drive one, you might like it.
>>
>>13943385
Best of both worlds.
>>
>>13943385
They're useful for places where automatics are tightly regulated.
>>
might as well get used to it as manual transmission is a thing of the past unless you drive a racecar
>>
>>13945629
TIL my 15 year old truck is a race car
>>
>>13943385
I dream of having one in some sort of luxury super-estate I could stick a couple of sets of skis in the back of and drive to France in effortless high-performance comfort. My garage would also contain some sort of light, minimalist six speed.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.