[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Volvo S70

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: britt_mchenry.jpg (274KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
britt_mchenry.jpg
274KB, 500x750px
Can any Volvobr/o/s tell me if the non-turbo 98-2000 S70s are considered reliable? I've found a few with just over 100k miles for dirt cheap and I was wondering if they would make a good DD
>>
with few exceptions the best volvo are manual transmission and turbo
thier autos are meh thier.
so if you want one find one thats been well maintained (has new struts etc) and preferably isnt the auto
>>
>>13943312
what's wrong with the auto trans? besides just the driving control, are they prone to mechanical issues?
>>
are there any electrical issues to worry about? is the 5 cyl an interference engine? does it use a timing belt or chain? PCV issues? anything in particular that would cause it to not be considered?
>>
>>13943327
>are they prone to mechanical issues?

Every now and then (every 200k or so) they get stuck in park and you have to crawl under to fix it. That's about it. The fuel door hinges are flimsy plastic that'll break if you hit it with a nozzle, and the AC units are temperamental. But as far as the car running, you won't stop it.
>>
>>13943371
>a/C unt is temperamental

what typically causes this? if a previous owner was smoking with Max a/C on and the windows rolled up? the other things seem trivial except for the stuck in park thing
>>
any electrical gremlins to report? issues with power window motors/regulators? power door locks? general wiring issues?
>>
>>13943282

Get a 98. In 99 they started putting in electronic throttle bodies that weren't very reliable.

Volvos seem to be a little more sensitive to neglected maintenance IMO. It's not a toyota.

>>13943353

Interference engine. Timing belt change is pretty easy. Hardest part for me was getting my fat sausage fingers down to where they needed to be.

PCV needs to be checked and replaced if needed. Easiest way is to pull the dipstick while it's running. If there is smoke you need to change the PCV.
>>
>>13943386

Nothing you wouldn't see in an older car with electronic stuff. A window motor might go out here or there (I need to replace one on my 850 right now). Misc little lights going out like the glovebox light or trunk light. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Luckily you'll be able to find parts in the junkyard for stuff like this for fairly cheap.
>>
>>13943398
>>13943417
thank boss, but what was the issue with the electronic throttle body? early adoption drive by wire issues?
>>
>>13943424

Pretty much. They had a sensor they put in a contact location so it rubs through over time. You can google it and get tons of stuff on it. They're just overall poorly engineered units.
>>
>>13943435
damn, is there an aftermarket version that corrects this issue?
>>
>>13943475

Yeah but it costs like 500$ / 600$

If you're handy you can fix it yourself with a kit that costs 120$ (I did this and it was pretty easy actually)
>>
>>13943498
how often did this happen though? it couldn't have been every single unit, is it that prevalent?
>>
>>13943378
I don't know. They just shit out around 150k.
>>
>>13943282
There are like 3 different volvo threads ask them
>>
>>13943876
no there isn't you fucking retard, there's a thread about 244s and a 5cylinder thread that is not specific about Volvo's
>>
>>13943945
Pretty sure there's a Volvo/Saab thread somewhere as well.
>>
>>13943945
Check the catalog new friend and you'll see who the real retard is :)
>>
>>13943993
>new friend

and this is how I know you're a retarded newfag, I have searched the catalog and the only ones are the ones stated above and a "what went wrong" thread about SAAB, suck it faggot
>>
File: image.jpg (862KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
862KB, 1536x2048px
>>13944534
There's no need for foul language anon, everybody makes mistakes.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.