[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how bad is maintenance on a porsche 944? is it like any other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: $_27.jpg (82KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
$_27.jpg
82KB, 640x427px
how bad is maintenance on a porsche 944? is it like any other porsche where you basically need to be willing to pay double the price of the car to afford owning it?

like, is it a million dollars to replace some pump? will i be living in my car? i mean it looks so nice and i like the features it has...fug ;-;
>>
you better have a big bank account to take care of it or else It will sit in your driveway on cinderblocks
>>
>>13939699
what if i just buy two for really cheap and use one for parts
>>
Its as reliable as you can expect from a car that age, but you -will- be paying rape for parts

>>13939713
Then you'll have TWO that are total junk instead of just one. You shouldn't buy a cheap clapped out one unless you're prepared to spend twice that before year's end.
>>
Buy the best one possible or you'll regret it.

Or, buy one that's near the very top of your price range, and then buy a cheap broken one for parts (sometimes people try to Porsche-tax them, but usually broken ones are cheap since everyone knows to avoid the shit out of them).
>>
>>13939753
what are the usual suspects for failure that can be mitigated with some type of aftermarket that isn't going to scrape at my pockets? as far as i know stuff like water pumps tend to be the first to go, alongside some of the electronics but i don't care about them that much.
>>
>>13939770
Nothing really sticks out but timing belts and tensioners are weak, oil leaks are common but diverse in what it will take to fix them. If you're looking for a car to do sik mawds with, 944's don't take them very well. Pretty much any service that involves replacing a major component like a clutch or water pump is going to have baseline parts+labor cost of $1000 and up. If you can do labor yourself, the 944's engine bay is tricky but it's not the worst.

Unless you're a master tech, do not try to buy one that "just needs tlc". If it has any electrical issues, walk away. Just because it's not a 911 doesn't mean it gets to skip out on the kind of servicing Porsche build into their cars, it's not a car you can fix with $20 and a trip to pick n' pull. You really only should buy one that's got a clean bill, there's no such thing as a cheap Porsche and that includes 944's.

You just have to bear in mind you are shopping for cars more than 20 years old and the things to look out for from any car that age, I would almost say a high mileage one might be better than low miles because it wouldn't have survived so long unless it was well taken care of.
>>
Set aside a minimum of 10 grand, be it for a car + fixes or just a car in nice condition.
>>
>>13939933
what if i set aside ten thousand dollars worth of prayers? hmmmmm?
>>
File: $_27.jpg (50KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
$_27.jpg
50KB, 640x426px
here's a backshot
>>
>>13939933
You don't need 10 grand to maintain a 944 non turbo.
>>
File: Porsche-Advertisement-26.jpg (145KB, 960x645px) Image search: [Google]
Porsche-Advertisement-26.jpg
145KB, 960x645px
>>13939602
944's are fucking great looking in my opinion, and fun as shit to drive. My dad had one when I was a toddler, an I thought it was a racecar and loved it, so I looked really hard into buying one and ended up with a 987 boxster.

The problem is that everyone will call it "the poor man's porsche" and call you a poser, but you still have to pay all the maintenance costs of a boxster or 911. Add in that the car is going to be pretty old because they haven't been made for a while, and parts are hard to find and it looks less an less fun.

If you are looking for an entry level porsche get a 986 boxster. They run pretty well, are even more fun to drive because of the extra power and convertible top, and girls can't tell them apart from a 911. I have so much fun with my car and I get to shit on the miata/honda guys because I am in team porsche, but I don't have to pay to be in team porsche. Its a neat niche that I think is what you are looking for, but be prepared to maintain the car very well and not drive it during the winter.
>>
Get a 924. It looks almost the same, it's made of VW parts, gets great mpg, is immensely reliable, cheap to buy, and has the badge.

It's so slow you can probably work on it while driving if something goes wrong, but if you want a porker that doesn't break your bank it's the only way to go.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (190KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
190KB, 1920x1080px
Saving up to buy one plus swap an LS engine, which alleviates the most common reliability problems, along with beefing up it's relatively tame stock power.
>>
File: 2015-04-04 09.38.50.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-04 09.38.50.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>13940034
Probably not but having that kind of money set aside for a 30 year old finicky German sports coupe is never a bad idea.
>>
I've found that anything that can go wrong will. But I have to say, my buddies is way more fun with a LT1 in it.
>>
File: 924 interior.jpg (201KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
924 interior.jpg
201KB, 580x435px
>>13940840
How reliable is your buddy's 944? Does the engine require significantly less maintenance and cheaper parts, or is it pretty much a speed boost exclusively?
>>
What kind of suspension does this have? Irs and mfs?
>>
>ill never be european takumi, taschmein...
>>
The 944 is a great car if you're gonna work on it yourself. Assuming you have the skill/patience. Quality parts aren't crazy expensive, unless you're talking cylinder heads or engine blocks. If you have to pay somebody, good luck. You will either pay thru the nose for good work or cross your fingers having Joe Shmoe wrench on it.

The main problem is finding one that somebody actually took care of. Neglected cars are common and they don't suffer neglect very well.
>>
>>13941579
thank you. it has like over 200k km. dude says he had it since 1990.
>>
>>13939602
Why buy a 944 when you can buy a 928 for the same price
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-29-05-43-46.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-29-05-43-46.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>13940133
I found a 924 for 4000 on my area that looks really good.
will I be missing out on much? Is there a huge difference?
Is maintenence so much better and cheaper in a 924? Why?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-29-05-43-50.png (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-29-05-43-50.png
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>13946739
I mean just look at this
>>
>>13943947

Why buy a 928 when you can buy a 968 Turbo RS for $350,000.00?
>>
>>13946739
968=944 Turbo=944S2>944S=924S>944>924
>>
>>13946869
Yeah I understand that, but I'm really looking for a daily car more than a sports weekend ride, since 925 wasn't manufactured by porsche (I think) does that make maintenence and pieces cheaper?
Also is the mgp better?
>>
Lots of people that don't know what the fuck they are talking about it here.

A base 944 is not an expensive car to own....if you do your own work. Timing belt is easy if your not a fucking monkey SO DO IT EVERY 5 YEARS.
The clutch isn't so easy to do, but hey do it and its going to be good for a long time.
Also, any 944 is a second car. If you want it to be your daily, STOP THINKING ABOUT IT.

Also 924's suck. (924 S is good and turbo is neat)

Also if you want to swap a LS engine into it you better have $20,000. Seriously don't fucking do it, just buy a motherfucking corvette.

No one calls a 944 a poor man's porsche. I tell girls its a ferrari for kicks, half of them believe me.

Talk to anyone that knows their shit, a 944 is not an unreliable car. But it's one that must be maintained.

If you want a car to beat to hell and daily buy a boxer. Its a newer car, and you'll have less problems.
>>
>>13947609
Buying a 2 seater is equivalent to not having friends, yes I'm looking at you miata fags
>>
>>13948257
>Needing friends when you have the touge
>>
So back to the topic, is the 924 a shitty, more reliable, cheaper, dependable and easily maintained 944?
>>
>>13947609
not 911 thrash it goes
>>
>>13939602
An FC is cheaper, more reliable, much cheaper parts, and performs virtually the same. Cheaper to mod more power out of, too.
>>
>>13948284
That applies to Caymans, Cayennes and Panameras. The 944 and other FR Porsches are fucking fantastic. Even the 924.
>>
>>13948497
928?
>>
>>13948459
You almost have me bought on the fc 2+2.
Is the 924 really such a bad inversion? I love this car.
>>
>>13948571
How much will it cost to maintain a gxl fc?
>>
>>13939879
I have a Boxster but the Miata and S2000 guys are my roadster buddies
>>
>>13948571
>>13948576
NA Rotary? Almost nothing. And you can still get a lot of power out of them reliably for cheap without going to turbo.

Turbos are generally not going to last much over 115k-150k miles. NA usually 250k+ unless you fuck up horribly.

Basically any problem you might have in an FC is solved by a rebuild which is way cheaper and easier than a piston engine rebuild. The other stuff in the car is perfectly reliable, unlike in the 924 and 944. But you won't have that problem if you spend an extra $50 a year on oil and give it a good rev now and then.

Engine bay has tons of space to work in and doesn't have the mess of vacuum tubes and stuff the FD has.

I do think the 944 looks better. But it's not worth the 3-5x more it'll cost over the lifetime you have the car for something that performs the same and has less tuning potential.

I think for the cost of a 944 if you want something that's "prestigious", like why not an E30?
It's the same price, newer, more reliable, 4 seats. Even an E46 I think is going to cost you less over the life of the car.

But when it comes to learning to drive, tunability, not having a Sedan, FC is like the easy choice to me. E30 is a totally different car while the FC is just a better 944 in everything but looks, and FCs can still look damn nice.
>>
>>13949016
I'm going to have trouble finding the rotary in spain
>>
You keep saying 944's are unreliable but you dont explain why. Explain yourself, liar.
>>
Rotary have shit mpg right?
>>
how much would it cost to swap a Honda F20C engine into it? would it be as difficult as an ls swap? would it fix most of its issues?
>>
A buddy of mine has a 968 and let me drive it for an afternoon. 3.0L I-4... yet it's smooth as fuck (balance shafts). It just goes. The clutch is a bit wonky for my taste (coming from a modified Miata), and his needs an alignment something fierce, but it was certainly fun to drive. The seats are slightly narrow (and I'm 5'9" and 165lbs) but comfortable enough. The suspension felt just right for touring with a little hooning, though I think his car could use new bushings, uprated or new shocks, and the aforementioned alignment. Good car; would DD.

The 924/044/968, you *have to* be spot-fucking-on the timing belt service. Good cars if you get one with good history, though.
>>
>>13939602
You get what you pay for with old Porsches like the 944. If the car's been well taken care of and not neglected it's not so bad keeping up with regular maintenance if you do your own wrenching. But if you buy a cheapo POS 944, expect to dump hunderds or even thousand to get it running in top condition again.

It's always cheaper to do your own maintenance and the 944 isn't that hard to work on. Parts can get expensive, though.
>>
I really need a good excuse to keep looking for a FC and not go straight ahead and buy this
http://www.milanuncios.com/venta-de-coches-clasicos/porsche-944-targa-2-5-serie-ii-142022618.htm

What FC's have 2+2 seats?
>>
>>13951409
Not really more shit than other sports cars.

They're actually more efficient at high RPMs than your typical high strung piston engine. That's a lot of why the 787b won Le Mans, was fuel efficiency.
>>
>>13940060
only thing with the 986 boxster: Watch for IMS bearings.if it's got more than 50k and it hasn't gone out, you're probably good.
>>
>>13952246
The F20C costs as much as an entire 944 costs.

I think you mean a k20.
>>
>>13939602

944, like the 928, isn't particularly unreliable as long as it's been well-maintained. Parts aren't cheap just because the car has depreciated, though.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.