[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

File: NOSBottle.jpg (47KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
NOSBottle.jpg
47KB, 480x270px
>have new car
>play with nitrous
>blow up engine
>get engine replaced for free under warranty
Tell me why I shouldn't do this. There must be a reason but I can't think of one.
>>
>>13935148
because it almost certainly violates your warranty
>>
Because sprayong it will undoubtedly void the warranty
>>
Some ECUs can tell the fuel grade you're using. It sure as fuck can tell of you do something retarded like that.
>>
>>13935156
>>13935158
How would they know? It's not like I'll keep the nitrous installed once I take the blown car back to the dealer.
>>
>>13935168
I'm not going to tell you how. I'm just telling you that they will know and you will have killed your engine for nothing
>>
>>13935168
I work for a warranty company.

We will tell.

For one, massive detonation is easily recognizable. When all of your pistons look like they are glazed with ping we start asking questions - and we walk away.
>>
>>13935178
So basically you don't know... Okay then.
>>
>>13935187
Not him but go ahead and do it smartass. The come back so we can hear you cry after they did a sulphur test on your turdbox and denied your warranty claim.
>>
I believe they can check for certain deposits in the exhaust.
>>
>>13935187
Anon, I'm trying to help you. They are NOT going to replace your engine, but hey, maybe you should learn the hard way.
>>
>>13935207
Dont even need to.

We would have the engine torn down.

It would show everything.
>>
They will know even , worked at dealership guy brings in car says engine wont run right tows it in wants warranty to cover... Check it data basically shows he did money shift. Gets fucked out of warranty and pay for bill to repair or enjoy 2900lb paper weight

Just do it to a rental for a weekend and only be out couple hundred bucks for some fun
>>
>>13935187
You know, you might have gotten away with it 30 years ago before OBD2 and all the other 24/7 diagnostic shit but there's so many sensors these days you'll never get it by them.
>>
>>13935168
Mechanics have watched Fast and Furious enough to know what blowing up nitrous looks like.
>>
Okay I got the idea. Thanks for the info everyone! Learned something today.
>>
A friend of mine is trying to convince me to go buy a 'performance' air filter, something such as a K&N filter. He's swearing that I'll get a good boost to my MPG, as well as having less 'lag' when accelerating my car.

Is there any truth to what he's saying or is he just trying to justify his own purchase as he recently got one for himself? It seems a little too good to be true with how he's playing up just how strong the benefits are.
>>
>>13936179
It's bullshit. There's nothing superior to the factory airbox and paper filter.
>>
>>13935187
What a fucking retard
>>
File: s0020675_sc7.jpg (18KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
s0020675_sc7.jpg
18KB, 380x380px
>>13936179
Use a punch to put speed holes in your existing filter.
>>
>>13935148
You know you can do this safely right?
>>
File: IvyMikeB640c20.jpg (24KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
IvyMikeB640c20.jpg
24KB, 640x360px
>>13936340
You know who else thought they could use NOS safely? Edward Teller.
>>
>>13936191
in addition to that : if you increase airflow (the claim of most cotton filters) you must increase fuel flow to keep the same mixture ratios.

They decrease economy, require pretty regular cleaning. i had one for about six months and trashed it after that, got tired of the loss of economy, increased intake noise, and flutter on deceleration.
>>
>>13935216
>No need to swab the muffler
>We'll just tear down the motor
>>
>>13936428
What are you talking about?
>>
>>13936431
Bro
>>
>>13936368
i get it
>>
>>13935187
I've voided warranty's for abuse before it's not hard to tell at all. A massive hole in the side of your block would be the first tell. After pulling the heads and seeing how melted the tops of your pistons are and how fucked up the valves are I would take that information back to the service advisor and he would deny your claim.

If you decided to fight it the manufactor would send reps to investigate your claim. I would show them what i found. They would plug a scan tool into your car and see what the engine was doing right before it blew, and deny your claim. And if you think about touching the battery cables together to erase the read only memory they would know you're trying to hide something and void your claim.
>>
>>13936457
i think the first and most obvious sign of fuckery would be the assortment of new holes/ stainless lines in the intake manifold

i really hope OP just does it and posts again crying
>>
>>13935168
For one you have to drill holes to mount the injectors. Ever if you remove the kit the holes will still be there. There's no way you'll get a warranty engine replacement without the car company having it inspected thoroughly after that level of detonation.

You honestly could get a small shot nitrous kit installed on your car and just use it carefully without actually destroying your engine.
>>
>>13936471
This.
>>13936457
Also this.
>>
>>13935229
Money shift?
>>
>>13935229
Money shift?
>>
>>13936577
Downshift at high rpm into wrong gear causing over rev beyond engines capability,
>>
>>13936577
>>13936587
Money shift because that shift is gonna cost a fuckload of money
>>
File: smug_pepe.jpg (8KB, 217x250px) Image search: [Google]
smug_pepe.jpg
8KB, 217x250px
Will power increase on my 12S Kadett if I swap the Solex for a Weber 40DCOE?
>>
>>13936924
if the 40 is bigger and you have the rev range to make use of it.

but you might as well save for 2. single sidedraft is a waste of money tbqh
>>
How much do thinner gaskets affect performance?
>>
>>13937025
not a lot. depends on the engine and depends on the thickness disparity. cr is an algorithm that you need to plug your data into. it's not the same for everything. you can just randomly estimate about .5 cr for every 20 thou though.
>>
>>13936924

bike carbs

it will still be slow but at least it will sound good
>>
>>13937066
>bike carbs
why?
>>
>>13937090

the reason is in the rest of my post

you'll never make a 1.2s fast, don't bother. this is coming from an opelfag that's had almost every model and engine of opel between 1970 and 1990

so either use bike carbs and make your engine sound good, or just get a better engine
>>
File: IMG_5623[1].jpg (263KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5623[1].jpg
263KB, 1200x800px
>>13936478
>For one you have to drill holes to mount the injectors
But that's not true
>>
>>13936478
Or you could just get a fogger.. direct port isn't the only type of delivery system m8
>>
>>13937111
I can't make it fast, but can it be faster?
>>
Subaru tech here.

We fucking know. Most of the time we let shit slide. Most being the operative word. You revert your STi back to stock because the sunroof quit working or the power windows quit or something dumb with the stereo? Nah man, who cares? But you really think we won't notice the tool marks people leave on the bolts for the turbo manifolds? (lel 16 point on an 8 point bolt) You really think drilling and plugging shit all willy nilly won't go unnoticed? Or that our diagnostic equipment doesn't pick up that Cobb tuner you just unmarried from the car? kekekek.

We know when you've been fucking with your shit. And if you are an amateur enough to blow up your shit, you are amateur enough to leave evidence that it's your fault.
>>
Cooling can switch went out on my 90s civic also thermostat hung open, ordered a new thermostat. I currently have the fan hardwired and running constantly. My question is if I replace the thermostat how crucial even is it to do the fan switch? The thermostat will allow the engine to get up to operating temperature regardless right?
>>
So I got a new shipment of driveshafts in. As I was taking one out of its packaging, I ended up pulling so hard that the yoke fell off. The reason I pulled so hard was because the packaging was very stubborn and I couldn't get the driveshaft out.

Question is, was that normal?

Part of me believes that something so critical shouldn't be that easily removed with mere human hands. And I'm not some stronk sickgainz meathead by any means; if anything, I would consider myself to have below average strength.
>>
>>13940587
IIRC some yokes are meant to slide back and forth so you can put the driveshaft in and out when working on the diff or transmission.

Seeing as the distance of travel back and forth during normal operation will only be so much and not enough room for it slip off, it should be fine.
>>
>>13935148
people have enough trouble trying to get engines repaired or replaced when they have legitimate problems. What makes you think that intentionally blowing it up will make it easier?
>>
>>13940587
You mean the u-joint pulled out of the driveshaft? or the yoke pulled out of the u-joint?

maybe im missing what ur talking about
>>
>>13940622
all yokes slide back and forth on the output shaft, driveshafts used with slip yoke eliminators do slide themselves though downwards from the yoke cv. some anyway.
>>
What happens to an engine if you shut it off at WOT (you are not moving, parking brake on, transmission in neutral)?

Nothing?
Blow up?
>>
>>13941883
It would just shut off because you're cutting off the spark and it can't ignite the fuel.
>>
>>13941919
so it wouldn't hurt it at all?

I ask because I remember reading somewhere that the best way to read sparkplugs is to drive around for a bit, park, and then shut the engine off near but not at its redline before you take them out. However I also remember seeing story where someone destroyed their engine doing something similar (it was a thread on /o/ ).
>>
>>13937197
This person is lying about everything except that there are tamper marks are on a lot of things the manufacturer doesn't want people to fuck with. I can't speak for all manufacturers, but Subaru's diagnostic equipment that the pleb techs use isn't able to tell if a vehicle is flashed or not, they have to use specialized software that the typical oil monkey doesn't have and will only check that shit out if you have catastrophic engine or transmission failure.
>>
>>13941934
You're going to shut the engine off near redline to check your spark plugs..?
>>
>>13941995
It was a curiosity thing

Not anything I was actually going to do. Just something that was bugging me.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.