[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2nd gen mr2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: Toyota_MR2_W20_002.JPG.jpg (315KB, 1280x600px) Image search: [Google]
Toyota_MR2_W20_002.JPG.jpg
315KB, 1280x600px
Just how dangerous are these? Is the snap understeer really that prevalent when driving? Any mr2 owners out there? Thinking of getting one.
>>
OP here, meant to say snap oversteer* sorry
>>
>>13934511
They're not near as "dangerous" as everyone says
>>
>>13934511
Same as any car.
Don't be stupid and it won't rip your head off. though pre '91 cars had more of a tendancy to become a handful suddenly than the later cars
>>
>>13934511
No, they really aren't. As long as you aren't flooring it into a corner on a mountain, you won't even spin the tires in the N/A trim.
>>
File: 1443545360475.jpg (335KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1443545360475.jpg
335KB, 1280x853px
>>
>>13934531
>2nd gen mr2
>>
They aren't dangerous

quit believin' memes
>>
>>13934531
yandere mr2.
>>
File: 1416791057810.jpg (144KB, 695x523px) Image search: [Google]
1416791057810.jpg
144KB, 695x523px
just the fact that you are afraid of snap oversteer means this car is not for you.
If you want to have fun driving SW20s, you have to forget everything about it and just learn the limits of the car. you can practice this in a auto-x easily. the car is fun to drive, even in its slower, naturally aspirated version of it, but you gotta take corners with confidence and know what you can and can't do
>>
Obligatory link about the "snap oversteer !!!!11!" meme:

http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/snapoversteer.htm
>>
its called lift off oversteer.

if you brake or lift off the accelerator mid corner going fast, expect problems.

its not just going to spin you around cruising down the highway at 100kmh.
>>
File: 1267201398411.png (52KB, 573x393px) Image search: [Google]
1267201398411.png
52KB, 573x393px
>SW20's are dangerous!
>snap oversteer!
>mfw people keep posting this bullshit

SW20s are LESS dangerous that your average car and the snap oversteer is just term used to blame driver errors as car's fault.

Why are SW20's less dangerous than your normal cars you ask? They have shitloads of grip on dtive wheels combined with the superior balance of mid-engine layout and as a result of this you either need a really shitty tires and/or go in corners way too fast to get any skidding to happen. At the moment you get MR2 to have any symptoms of potentially losing grip at either end normal car would already span or pushed off the road.

As for "snap oversteer" yes it can happen if you brake really hard and way too late mid corner but still need either really shitty tires or slippery conditions to happen but it is still a fucking driver error and something you shouldn't be doing regardless of what you are driving. Still the changes of this ever happening are almost non-existent and just about any car can "snap oversteer" in this situation. For example early S2000s do this for the exact same reason as SW20s do (rear suspension allows for some toe-out under ridiculous mid-corner braking) and anyone who has braked way too hard and way too late late in FWD hatchback has also experienced lift-off oversteer as well.
>>
>>13934727
The REAL handling problems in SW20 has to do with lack of negative camber in front and having too much rear toe-in especially in 93+ models. The non-existent front camber (the stock suspension setting is around -0.5 degrees) is a problem due to the car having MacPherson struts in front which don't gain dynamic front camber during hard cornering like double wishbones do and simply give up when the limits are reached causing the car to push through the corner. The only way to counter this is to have more static camber which can be done by getting crash bolts that allow more camber. The rear toe-in also causes understeer not only making the car very dull to drive but also make correcting any oversteer that you might get by trying to combat the ridiculous understeer these cars come with harder. The solution to this is to get a wheel alignment and reduce the rear toe-in. The "correct" rear toe-in setting for SW20s is on the red area in the alignment machine and you might as well set it to 0 in 93+ models.

To summarize the handling problems in SW20s are caused by these stock suspension settings that make the car push like a FWD which only exists in an attempt to counter to potential lift-off oversteer but in practice they only make it harder to correct if you actually manage to get it to happen. Doing the fixes I mentioned not only makes the car more fun to drive it also makes it much easier to correct any over- or understeer you might get early on which also makes the car even safer than it already is.
>>
What is this snap oversteer I hear about. I have an Mk II. I've taken it to the fucking mountains and have even attempted it in the parking lot at work after everyone leaves. I can't fucking get it to spin unless it's raining and even then it's just a matter of controlling the acceleration.
>>
Just drive smoothly nigga.
>>
File: Second.jpg (25KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
Second.jpg
25KB, 200x200px
>>13934753
This. I also own this car and no matter how hard I try to get it oversteer I have only experienced ridiculous understeer.
>>
>>13934753
basically it's like how a motorcycle will act when you're leaning hard into a turn and suddenly lift off the throttle, the rear tire will lose grip from the weight shifting forward and it will spin.

basically that but in a car

someone correct me if I'm wrong because that's just how I understand it
>>
>>13934798
Fuck do you people not know how to drive? Unless you're trail braking you fucking break in a straight line until you're in a suitable speed and then you fucking turn.
>>
>>13934809
I know that, where did you get I don't know how to drive from any of what I said? I was just explaining how snap-oversteer is.
>>
just don't be an idiot, practice, and you'll be fine

posted from my mr2 while im at some twisties
>>
>>13934523
This is why you can't trust anything /o/ says.

This guy doesn't know about throttle lift oversteer.
>>
snap oversteer is a meme.

all cars will snap back if you over correct, mid engines just do it harder.
>>
It's just sudden oversteer resulting from weight transfer. Usually happens in rear-heavy cars. Old 911s were notorious for it because the people who bought them would overcook a corner (since they weren't great drivers to begin with), realize the mistake, and then either come off the throttle suddenly (bad) or get on the brakes (worse), the rear suspension unloads, and then boom, the rear end comes around in a huge hurry and the car goes sailing off into the trees.

That said, it can happen in any car. I've done it more than a few times in FWD hatches, and a couple times in my Miata (although the Miata in general is pretty forgiving of ham-fisted driving). Snap oversteer was a common complaint on the AP1 S2000, not least because many AP1 owners were coming from FF Hondas, and (of course) early SW20 MR2s.

The solution is to drive smoothly and keep in mind how the car behaves at the limits, and to keep your head screwed on when you dick it up, good advice for any car really.
>>
File: mr2 lel.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
mr2 lel.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
>>13934511
>>
File: 9-26-06_mr2_accident.jpg (16KB, 477x325px) Image search: [Google]
9-26-06_mr2_accident.jpg
16KB, 477x325px
>>
File: post-16538-1227655319.jpg (19KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
post-16538-1227655319.jpg
19KB, 640x480px
>>
>>13935384
>>13935390
What do crashed Carrera GT's have to do with anything
>>
>>13935372
>>13935384
>>13935390
Why are you posting 1st and 3rd gen MR2s in a thread about 2nd gen MR2s?
>>
>>13936257

Le ebin oversteer meme still applies to them all.
>>
Dope ride. Ugly color.
>>
>>13935405
those are 3rd gen MR2's you retard
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.