[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some basic maintenance things all car owners should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: 1359127000133.jpg (186KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1359127000133.jpg
186KB, 500x376px
What are some basic maintenance things all car owners should know how to do?
>>
oil changes
tire pressure
how to put the spare on
washing the damn thing the correct way
>>
>>13932942
check your own fluids and change your own tyres.
>>
>>13932942
>oil change
> brake service (calipers, pads, rotors, and bleeding)
>checking tire pressure
>how to put the spare tire on
>replacing bulbs (My next door neighbor once paid me $20 to replace a tail light bulb on her 99 Jeep Cherokee XJ)
>how to operate a manual transmission
>how to rotate tires
>How to check fluids
>>
>>13932968
>washing the damn thing the correct way

This. No one gets in behind the wheel well lips so their quarters and fenders rot out quick.
>>
>>13932995
>How to rotate tires
You just push the gas right?
>>
>>13933005

>tfw 50 year old car
>tfw alignment is so good that all tires wear even without rotating

Feels good man.
>>
>>13932976
>>13932995
I don't know how to do any of these, I wasn't spoiled as a kid
>>
>>13933022
Kek, keeping saying that as you quietly sob into your pillow at night.
>>
>>13933695
Hey look I'll be saying many different mantras while I sob into my pillow tonight, but that won't be one of them
>>
>>13933695
Why are you being such a dick
I wish I was rich kid
>>
Axle swaps, head milling, porting, engine swaps etc

Being a slave to mechanics is so beta
>>
File: 1446703805124.jpg (21KB, 400x525px) Image search: [Google]
1446703805124.jpg
21KB, 400x525px
>>13932968
This will save you tons,and you will feel like a normal person shoushou, good.
If you can put on a spare tire,you are in the top 10% (do it with confidence, top 20% of /o/)
Brake repair is nice to know,better to get a job,you don't want to die because you made a simple mistake.
Wash and wax your own car at least once,feels good man.Go to one of those coin op self wash things AT NIGHT,that way you can take you time,use a bucket...
OP,just wanting to learn makes you a better prepared for life than avast majority.way to g/o/ br/o/
Google/Bing/multiple sources are you friend,even for simple things,like how to wash.
ONLY LIFT YOUR CAR IF THE GROUND IS STABLE. If possible,no need to get under your car if it the jack is set in dirt,sometimes no choice,flat tire.
>>
>>13932942
Timing belt/chain replacement
Transmission rebuild
Fuel tank replacement
>>
>>13932942
Get a service manual and read it.
>>
>>13933003
My car is lowered so i cant get behind it. And no im not gonna take off the wheels just so i can clean that portion.
>>
>>13933774
head milling at home? what do you do get a big sheet of glass and sandpaper?
>>
>>13934041
>he doesn't have a knee mill in his garage
>>
>>13933741
He was implying knowing how to do car maintenance means you were spoiled. It's usually the exact opposite in my experience. The people who can pay for a shop don't ever do their own shit. The only time I take my car to a shop is when I literally cannot do something, like an alignment or an inspection.

My first car cost $150 and was an auto chevette. I had a part time job at the time at the local grocery store to afford maintenance and other stuff. At the time, I didn't even know how to change my oil and yet, after about 8 months or so of owning it I converted it to a manual from a parts car. I have bought and sold a few cars since then, each car teaching me something else like engine work, suspension, transmission stuff, etc. Now I can almost do anything I can think of and if I come across something I can't, I watch a YouTube video and look at the shop manual. I also help other people with their cars, so that allows me to get even more knowledge and experience under my belt.

The only excuses for not knowing how to do car work is either no interest in it, which is fine if you can pay someone else to do it or don't drive, disability, or just plain ignorance.

I know I took the bait pretty hard, but its a pretty uneventful night.
>>
brakes is the biggest.

To do brakes yourself cost like 30-100 dollars, do have a shop do it 300-600 dollars
>>
>>13932942
Literally everything that doesn't require machinery. I don't expect you to be able to resurface or balance a flywheel, but you damn well better be able to pull your engine or replace your wheel bearings.
>>
>>13932942
How to replace muffler bearings and how to time your piston return springs
Your be suprised how many people don't know how to do this shit
>>
>>13934083
Knee mill? Too inaccurate.
>Not having a rotary broach in your garage
>>
you should be able to balance all the internals of your engine. honestly doing that might get you an extra hundred horsepower. people say you need a balancer but i once saw my pa do it with just a spoon and a lot of liquor.
>>
>>13934707
Fuck would you do with a rotary broach?
>>
>>13932942
Fixing Turbo Lags
LS1 Swaps
FWD to RWD Conversions
>>
Installing winter tires
>>
>>13934707
Do you have any idea what the words you're using mean or are you just trying to sound funny?
>>
>>13933022
How the fuck is any of that related to being spoiled or not?
>>
Oil change
Tire change
Engine rebuild
>>
>>13937474
>engine rebuild
lol
>>
>>13934033
Another casualty thanks to stance nation
>>
1. fill up fuel tank
2. battery voltage
3. tire pressure
4. replacing wheel / put on spare tire
5. oil change
6. washer-fluid change
7. transmission fluid change
8. checking / replacing brake pads
9. checking / replacing oil filter
10. BRING IN YOUR CAR FOR YEARLY STATE INSPECTION
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.