[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheby V Ferd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (646KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
646KB, 2048x2048px
So I'm considering buying an old truck like in the pic related
I don't know much about Chevy or ford
What are some common problems with them and what should I look out for ?
Which is better?
>>
Get the one that you like the most.
Is the lowest miles.
Is the cheapest.

In that order.
They'll both be fine trucks, and since they were competitors in the past. There probably will be no fucking difference.

Chevys are generally more gashogs because they generally use bigger displacement engines. But that's just an anecdote.

My father just bought a C10 1972 along with his 1934 Ford. He loves them equally.
>>
File: 4772947967_fbcecc7de5_t470.jpg (39KB, 470x301px) Image search: [Google]
4772947967_fbcecc7de5_t470.jpg
39KB, 470x301px
Both are inferior to the Dodge
>>
>>13932575
I know they look soo fucking nice
I don't know much about them but I want one so bad but they are so expensive for a decent one it's really not an option for me right now

>>13932573
The problem is I don't really have an opinion on them
I like how the Chevys look a little bit more but again I don't know shit about either and how they compare
>>
No one?
Seriously I guess everyone would rather shitpost in a gtr v corvette thread
>>
>>13932548
Just bought a 77 chevy C10 a month ago. I have had to do a little fixing but overall its a good ol truck. A few things to look for is see if any hoses have cracks in them. Also check out the bed. Often the wood rots out on the stepsides and people do random repairs. Also look at the fuel feeder lines going into the gas tanks... Mine had a crack that I had to replace. Biggest thing to look for is body rust that is hidden.
>>
>>13932548
Really comes down to look OP. They both make good trucks.
>>
File: killurself.png (2MB, 3013x623px) Image search: [Google]
killurself.png
2MB, 3013x623px
>>13932704

>Fag tries to start a chevy vs ford thread
>It's in the matter of classic trucks
>Everyone likes their classic trucks so no one takes the bait
>OP's face when
>>
Personally Id get the Chebby
They look better and that all that matters on a classic truck
>>
>>13932724
Your wrong and a faggot
>>13932670
Thanks!
>>13932704
Are they really that similar?
Then why do people become so obsessed with ford vs Chevy
>>
File: IMG_20150926_085656.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150926_085656.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
'87 Scottsdale daily driver here, loving every minute of it. As long as you're ready and willing to learn your truck and work on it they're a blast to own and drive. Chevy vs. Ford doesn't really matter when you're talking classic pickups, you'll hear from people over and over that one is easier to work on than the other (and that's true from case to case) or that one gets better fuel mileage (also true case to case) but ultimately it comes down to which one you feel the best driving. If you're planning on rolling around in a classic truck chances are you're more concerned about smiles per gallon than miles per gallon anyway.

Common issues with all old trucks:
- Crusty cracked hoses causing vacuum leaks (idle issues, abnormal acceleration)
- Panel rust
- Brakes (siezed rusty e-brakes, old drum brakes)
- Dried and shrunken seals / gaskets (leaks, burning oil on startup)
- Slipping transmission (poor maintenance in the past)

I got my truck for $1200 with a siezed e-brake off a fisherman. Flushed and replaced all fluids including tranny oil and diff oil, replaced distributor, plugs, and plug wires, re-greased steering and driveline, sprayed out the combustion chambers, replaced the tires, scrubbed the battery terminals clean, replaced both headlights, and a whole bunch of other shit. Not because it all needed to be done that week, but because it will need to be done eventually, you're going to want your truck to feel fresh and reliable, so I highly recommend doing most of those things right off the bat.

Old Chevys are sweet.
Old Fords are sweet.
Old Dodges are sweet.
Old Internationals are sweet.

Pick one that fits you, learn it, and live with it.
>>
File: IMG_20150926_085521.jpg (1MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150926_085521.jpg
1MB, 4160x2340px
>>13932919
>Then why do people become so obsessed with ford vs Chevy
Because people identify with brands, especially brands that pride themselves on particular lifestyles. Each brand excels in some areas and fails in others, good luck getting people to agree on which areas those are. You're going to get shit whether you get a Chevy or Ford, you're a faggot either way. All old vehicles break as you drive them, just be ready and willing to deal with that, once you've decided which body style you'd rather be driving, start learning the engine that comes with it.
>>
>>13932575
Equally inferior in rust induced weight reduction
>>
>>13933699
The ones built between 1981 and 1986 or so use a lot of galvanized metal, and seem to hold up better than the ones that came before and after. My '85 is like new underneath, while my '90 was a rot box. Both driven in the same climate.
>>
File: IMG_20150517_193000795_HDR.jpg (1MB, 2430x1368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150517_193000795_HDR.jpg
1MB, 2430x1368px
>>13932928
>>13932969

OP, listen to this guy, he speaks the truth, came here to post pretty much what he said.

Pic related, my 81 GMC, daily driven, bought it for $3000 6 months ago, 500+ miles a week, just under 193,000 miles on factory drivetrain. Things I've done since I bought it, brakes all around with new calipers up front and soft lines, replaced factory radiator that had a small leak, full tune-up with a rebuilt quadrajet, and new tires. The only thing on the truck that doesn't work, is the A/C, hasn't given me a single problem so far.

tl;dr OP, buy what you like, be it ford/dodge/chevy as others have said, lmctruck.com will be your friend as well as pick-n-pull's and junkyards.
>>
>>13932573
>Chevys are generally more gashogs because they generally use bigger displacement engines. But that's just an anecdote.

The Chevy 305 is the most economical of the two v8's. The 302 fords are 1-2 mpg worse, in general, and not much better than a 350 chevy.

Of the base-model sixes, the 300 inline six in the Fords is considered one of the most reliable engines of all time, and makes about the same mileage as the smaller 250 GM inline six. The GM 4.6 v6es that came along in the mid 80's outperformed all the inline engines from both companies, while getting better gas mileage.

The only thing I know about the big blocks is that the ford 460 is a serious gas guzzler. I assume the 454 is as well.

Transmissions in these trucks are a big deal for MPG. For manual transmissions, there's basic 3 speeds, and at least two kinds of 4-speeds (regular/wide-ratio, or with granny low). The 3-speeds and granny-low boxes usually cost around 1 MPG (with factory axle gearing).

Most of the automatics are 3-speeds, but overdrive was an option in some of the later years. Overdrive was also usually good for about 1 MPG.
Automatic trucks tend to get 1-2 mpg worse than manual trucks.
>>
File: 00p0p_8YZ3KvT1xMU_600x450.jpg (42KB, 504x450px) Image search: [Google]
00p0p_8YZ3KvT1xMU_600x450.jpg
42KB, 504x450px
Appreciate the info, I'm not OP, but looking to get into the classic truck game with pic related
>>
>>13935993
That's a daring toe in the water IMO. It's starting to get harder to get regular service parts for the action-line trucks; clutches, brake drums etc are becoming special-order-only or unavailable at parts-store counters. The 283 & 307 have a strange way of ALWAYS being just different enough from the late model small-block chevies to need a unique part.

You end up having to deal with points ignition, barely-functional climate control, unassisted drum brakes for which decent shoes have not been manufactured in 20 years, manual steering, and a mechanical voltage regulator. Also Powerglide.
Most projects of these trucks seem to go down the line of adding disc brakes, late model steering, a 4bbl 350, a TH350, late model electrical... basically "replace everything until it's a rounded-line truck"
>>
>>13936065
>>13935993

Keep in mind, LMC truck exists, they carry full catalogs of almost any part you could possibly need for the 50's on up trucks. Rockauto, jegs, or summit racing are your other places to check as well. Orielys/vatozone are only going to be worth a shit for basic things, if that. Also, converting points to HEI isn't an expensive or hard thing to do, especially when so many of the 67-72's are already 350/383 swapped.
>>
>>13932928
The background looks like it's out of a Bob Ross painting
Fucking beautiful man
>>
File: ferd ez reach bed mods.jpg (844KB, 2853x2069px) Image search: [Google]
ferd ez reach bed mods.jpg
844KB, 2853x2069px
Ferd trux is best trux
>>
>>13939396
good thing it is not unibody
>>
>>13936161
>350 or 383 swapped

Shit,what about 327's? My father has a 67 with that motor,never knew if it was good or not.
>>
It really doesn't matter
>>
>>13939507
327 is just basically a proto-350, with a slightly shorter stroke. It was GM's highest-performance small block until the 350 replaced it in the late 60's. There were some real monster 327's built, 11:1 corvette engines with 375 claimed horsepower, but most 327's in trucks and mainstream cars were low compression, low-rpm motors that made maybe half that power. Reliable, like all the small blocks. But still part of the older generation of small blocks, before the internals were beefed up in 1969.

Hot-rodders used to like to take cylinder heads and cams from hi-po 327's and use them to double the horsepower of malaise-era 350's.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.