[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I know which ignition coil is bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_20151126-141127.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151126-141127.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Is color a reliable way to determine which of my coils has gone bad?
I've been having some misfire issues with my 08 Fit. First of all I discovered that the previous owner put the wrong spark plugs in it so I'm changing those.
But also one of the ignition coils is bad, and the mechanic couldn't remember if it was the 1st or the 2nd one because he'd switched them around a few times. These are the coils, the 2nd one is a noticeably different color from the rest, more of an orange than pink like the others. This makes me suspect it's the 2nd one that's gone bad.
Any advice
>>
>>13932221
>How do I know which ignition coil is bad?
Test them, idiots. Find a multimeter and your factory service manual.
>>
>>13932221
measure their resistance with an ohmmeter. refer to service manual.
>>
>>13932221
Put them back on the car, start the engine, disconnect them one at a time, see which one doesn't cause the engine to run rougher, that is the one that needs to be changed
>>
>>13932278
This is stupid.
>>
On a related note, do NGK plugs need dielectric grease or am I good without it?
>>
Do people even work on their cars here? Fug

This is what you do OP, get your faggot ass to autozone or similar store with free error code reading. Get the code and plug that code in olde Google and see which cylinder is misfiring. Change that coil and be done with it.
>>
>>13932334
Dont put anything on plugs.
>>
>>13932285
You're stupid.
>>
Clear the code.
Switch the coils.
Wait for new code.
Congratulations.
>>
>>13932371
>Do people even work on their cars here?
Yea, that's why I pay attention to the factory service manual and own a multimeter.
>>
>>13932387
I own two multimeters but that's me, considering OP is having trouble with this, tells me he might not own one. Easiest way is to have the codes read and see which cylinder is misifiring.
>>
>>13932285
This is the quickest way to spot a misfiring cylinder without tools and without removing anything from the engine.
If a 4cyl engine is running on 3cylinders, you disconnect each plug (and reconnect it before disconnecting the next one) and see when the idle doesn't drop even more. Bam, you found the misfiring one.

If he already knows that a coil is bad, he doesn't even need to diagnose what is not working between plug, coil and plug wire (if any)
>>
OP here I have a Bluetooth code reader but the damn thing never connects to my phone. Maybe I need a different app
>>
>>13932434

Jesus.
>>
>>13932448
>Jesus.

what I said when I saw you post a minion
>>
File: newmeme6.png (7KB, 283x138px) Image search: [Google]
newmeme6.png
7KB, 283x138px
>>13932505
>>
>>13932278
>>13932406
+1
>>
>>13932406
If He has them out it would be easier to just measure the resistance on it.

basic multimeters don't cost more than 15$ from vatozone.
>>
>>13932533

I got one free from a catalog for harbor freight.
>>
>>13932533
I know, I was assuming OP didn't have any tools or didn't want to buy them, so I offered a no-tool solution.
>>
>>13932560
If he got them out then surely he has tools........
>>
>>13932574
I meant tools to check the coils, like a multimeter
>>
>>13932617
Which he should buy if he intends to work on his car.
>>
OP here back again. I replaced the spark plugs, disconnected the battery to reset the code, and took it for a drive. The check engine light came on after a few minutes of driving, and the code is p0103, which is an issue with the MAF...not something I wanted to hear. Could a bad coil be the cause of this or am I gonna have to replace my mass air flow sensor?
>>
>>13932893
Go buy some mass airflow cleaner and clean the wire. Read the directions.
>>
>>13932893
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEKjjXNLTjk

Like someone above said, just clean the maf sensor and carry on, have a look to this video just be careful, these things are two things: flimsy and expensive.
>>
>>13933275
Damn so cleaning it out is really all if should take? That's a huge relief. I was not looking forward to having to replace the whole sensor
>>
>>13933802
It may still be broken, cleaning could clear the code if the problem is that the sensor is dirty, but if it's broken, it stays broken
>>
>>13932285
This is how I've located a misfiring cylinder for my entire life. Pull plug wires one at a time with the engine idling. When you pull one and it doesn't drop a 2nd cylinder, you found the bad cylinder.

But I haven't had to use that trick in years because OBDII just fucking tells you now.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.