[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best GTI year to get?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: Volkswagen-Designer-Golf-GTI-2.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Volkswagen-Designer-Golf-GTI-2.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
What's the best GTI year to get?
>>
there is no best.
>>
>>13932001
None
>>
I have 2 friends with GTI's.

Both of them have had to get their turbos rebuilt.
>>
Had a mark 5 with the tsi motor. Fun fast car plus they are cheap now
>>
>>
>>13932001
>fwd
>>
>>13932001
>VAG
>ever
>>
Mk7 mqb
>>
>>13932012
/thread
>>
Mk2- so '85 through '92. Either get one of the 16V versions from '90-'92 (with the 2.0), or get one of the non-16V cars and swap in a 1.8T from a mk4.
>>
File: vw gti.jpg (51KB, 620x430px) Image search: [Google]
vw gti.jpg
51KB, 620x430px
>>13932392
those are the best looking ones but do they drive the best?
>>
>>13932001
None of them.

I had a GTI just like OP's picture and it's powertrain failed catastrophically twice (valve came apart and transmission lost a bearing).

The 1.8t's were shit, the VR6's were shit other than the sound, and the older ones are too old for anyone to seriously consider unless you want to drive around a dated shitbox.

I would not recommend anyone buy a VW.
>>
>>13932407
i have a mk1 and it drives very much like this review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8LSCKvwtRA

except my brakes are stock and work
>>
I dont post normally but these comments really pissed me off...

Mk4 1.8ts are absolutely awesome for a cheap tuner. Good aftermarket support and basically bolt ons and a good ecu tune and your good to go

Ive never had any issues with mine, i guess its all about previous owners and maintenance
>>
>>13932582
Nah, they're just shit. Have fun when the electronics fail.
>>
>>13932582
mk5 have a lot of turbo failure rate
>>
>>13932400
In absolute terms, for stock vehicles, newer models will generally be faster and handle better.

Mk2 is a nice platform because it's lightweight, relatively easy to work on, and there's a fair amount of aftermarket support. With suspension upgrades they can be made into very nice handling vehicles.

Of course, it's important to remember that GTIs are inherently limited because they're fwd, so there's a limit to how much modification is sensible for the performance returns.

If you're looking for something to keep stock and DD, I'd look at mk4 or mk5.
>>
>>13932001

They all suck.
Regards
>>
>>13932001
>pic unrelated
>>
>>13932639
well i mean i posted the review of that mk1, mine is the same way, the interior will rattle. no making that go away. and the steering is so fucking slow.
good lord you have to crank and crank that damn rack. i assume the mk2 has improved on that crap
>>
the mk2 because they seem better
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.