[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LED cube high beams

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

Sup. Do you think that two of these small LED cubes with specs of 6 led, 1800 Lumen, 18W will be helpful on night road trips? i know i know, these aren't legal but i would use them only when there's no traffic at all and i just want to feel safer.
Stock headlights on my car are incredibly shitty (high beams weaker than regular low beams). it's not that i can do much about it because these cars are known for it and there are no bulbs to change, its whole light bulb (30+ yrs old car).
So how will those cheap led cubes sticked on to grill do? i guess it also depends on how much zoom and radius they have but i dont know they dont give thac spec on the cheap ones
>>
File: 42-320_xl_1[1].jpg (73KB, 682x950px) Image search: [Google]
42-320_xl_1[1].jpg
73KB, 682x950px
They'll improve your close-range high beams, but your range will still be shit as these are more designed as work-lamps or off-roading lights and thus provides more width and filling than range

What about two smaller (7 inch or similar) round housings with something like 55w halogen or 35w xenon)?
>>
>>13930805
are these those huge lamps you have on your benz? Iguess you are right that my range will be shit, and truth is that range is more important..
but what i liked about concept of these small lights that i could just stick em on when i do a night road trip and put them off when im finished.
i dont want to be too invasive about my car (drilling holes and stuff) but i also dont really have an idea on how to stick them properly to endure long trips in different conditions
>>
File: bmw_e30.jpg (155KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
bmw_e30.jpg
155KB, 1024x768px
>>13930813
>>13930805
Thats the front of the car. I think there are some possibilities in that grille shape
>>
>>13930805
How did you mount yours on the car? did you drill holes in the bumber or stuff like that?
>>
File: 6624.png (396KB, 1380x469px) Image search: [Google]
6624.png
396KB, 1380x469px
>>13930813

Mine are 9 inches and a bit large

>>13930963
There is a plastic part that you attach to the bumper with two large screws ontop and plastic "pinchers" at the bottom of mine. I've put on bigger screws ontop aswell as attaching some small screws on the bottom to further stabilize it. Before mounting the plastic plateholder again I fastened the steel-plate for the lights and my licenseplate to it

Its not a very good setup as there isn't any way to put stabilizing rods onto it, with the result that the lights can be a bit shaky when the roads are rougher

You can get good long-range LED's in small sizes if you're willing to pay, and I don't think I'm lying if I said it wouldn't be that big of a job replacing your foglamps with those, although they might be a bit of a bitch to adjust
>>
File: 42-490_xl_1[1].jpg (29KB, 1200x279px) Image search: [Google]
42-490_xl_1[1].jpg
29KB, 1200x279px
>>13930817

Is the bumper steel on those? If you feel that it is stiff enough you could just get one of these plates that I have and attach it as a normal signholder using the normal holes, and put lights ontop of it.
>>
>>13930817
Schönes auto und bau doch einfach andere birnen ein
>>
>>13930794
They are helpful like foglights, in which are supposed to illuminate further downward and wide that normal headlights do not cover.
>>
>>13930805
>They'll improve your close-range high beams
Not a thing.

They won't improve shit. Buy real auxiliary high beams that are road legal.
>>
>>13931170
Also if your car is that old, it might have legal retrofits. Cibie made some that are popular with the classic car crowd.
>>
>>13931170

I'm talking a length usually at about the range of your low-beams, but much more wide and filling

Still, I did also say that his range would still be very shit and should consider other lights
>>
>>13931177
>I'm talking a length usually at about the range of your low-beams, but much more wide and filling
You don't want that. You want just enough foreground light to illuminate the sides of the road, but not bright enough to constrict your pupils so the light further down, where the high beams are supposed to be, will be dimmed. This is part of why you're not supposed to be drive with foglights on when the weather is clear.
>>
>>13931173

Its a good suggestion, do you have a link to the actual headlight? The thing I'd be worried about is just how much better the light would be than the originals, and if that would be enough light for what he wants
>>
>>13931181

True, but then we're talking about cars with good enough lighting that would potentially be ruined by too bright close range lighting, which this car doesn't appear to have

OP, in what condition is your glass & reflectors?
>>
>Its a good suggestion, do you have a link to the actual headlight?
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html

I believe these are all or most of the sizes made.
>>13931186
>but then we're talking about cars with good enough lighting that would potentially be ruined by too bright close range lighting
It's not about his factory lighting, it's about choosing appropriate aftermarket lighting that produces the correct beam pattern.
>>
>>13931183
OP here.
if the range will be comparabale to a high beam in normal newish car (just enough) then im fine with that. I would like it to be cheapest possible.
Also, that tegistration plate rag is awesome idea i need to look for that. do you have any pics of your merc and three lights on, from close distance?
>>
File: 20151126_150857_resized.jpg (2MB, 3984x2241px) Image search: [Google]
20151126_150857_resized.jpg
2MB, 3984x2241px
>>13931196

Which is why I was not recommending those lights in the first place, saying that they were more suited for off-road lighting and work lighting

>>13931199
Here, went out and took one just now
>>
>>13930794
I bought those exact lights and use them as reverse/work lights.
>>
File: pencil v light bar.jpg (109KB, 966x358px) Image search: [Google]
pencil v light bar.jpg
109KB, 966x358px
ayy OP, ive done some research on this, and in my technical opinion, lightbars a shit for driving lights.
a light bar will seem very bright, and it is, but it scatters easily and doesnt "throw" very well.
If youve ever used an LED flashlight, you know that shit is bright as fuck, but it doesnt let you see as well as a good ole maglight (honestly not really sure the exact science behind it)
But for driving lights, you want to be able to see as far down the road as possible. On my truck I have two Hella Rallye 4000's (one pencil beam one euro beam). They honestly arent ridiculously bright, if you pull into a parking spot against a wall with them on, they wont rekt your retinas. However , they throw EXTREMELY well. On a long straight stretch of road, i can illuminate the trees and make out details a 1/2 mile down the road (if theyre aimed right). They also do a fantastic job at illuminating deer eyes, without lighting up the bush theyre in so i can see them. This has saved my bacon at least twice.
Led lights are great for reverse, or back up, or bed lighting, where illumination at close range is whats needed.
however when your driving at night, you dont need to see whats at the sides of the road right infront of your car, you need to see it before you get to it
made a quick completely unscientific comparison pic
>>
>>13931212
thanks man! i just checked my license plate mount and unfortenatly, while the whole front part of the car is solid as fuck, the part where license plate is mounted is some wiggly boogly not so high quality plastic... i think i need to drop this awesome invention and try something else
>>13932077
nice thanks for brief info. these were my first concerns about LED, shame on that
>>
>>13930794
You could always restore your foggy covers aswell. You could also get HIDs as they are brighter.
>>
>>13932077
Prob has to do with the color of the lights.
I had Silverstar bulbs on my truck and while they were brighter, they were only good for 30ft or so.
Switched to the stock yellowish bulbs and the range on them is even better.

Im drunk though so take that as you will
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.