[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how am I supposed to brake in manuals? Brake and clutch in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: 1437786313147.jpg (603KB, 3757x2411px) Image search: [Google]
1437786313147.jpg
603KB, 3757x2411px
So how am I supposed to brake in manuals? Brake and clutch in as I'm about to stop? Downshift + brake? Neutral and brake? Why is there no consensus on such a simple thing?
>>
>>13927076
All of the above depending on situation
>>
>>13927087
huh
>>
>>13927090
If you don't get it. Don't drive stick
>>
>>13927076
If you are for sure coming to a stop at a red light, leave it in gear while braking and then when the revs start getting close to idle, push the clutch in.

You can downshift too, it will help with engine braking and if you need to take off again real quick, you will already be in gear.
>>
>>13927105
>how do i do this i just started
>if you cant do it then dont start
:))))))
>>
>>13927121
OP didn't state he just started driving stick.
For all I know he's a troll.
But all the methods he described are applicable in different situations.
If you don't naturally know when to do it then driving stick may not be for you.
Or just fumble around untill you get it
>>
rev it like BAM BAM BAM and drop clutch. seriously though drive it normally around town without going WOT. I usually only go about 350 miles or 2 weeks to work and call it good. My twin disc was ready to rock out of the box. Put it in and took it to the strip after I drove it there.
>>
>>13927076
Why are you making up shitty problems? Do as you will. I put i the car into neutral and brake or clutch in and brake, others prefer engine braking. Do your thing.
>>
>>13927138

>if you don't just know then its not for you
:)))))
>>
>>13927146
what the fuck is engine braking
>>
>>13927164
Pretty much. Some people can't grasp the concept.
When I was 12 I hopped in my dad's courier and he taught me how it worked with simple instructions.
Was driving it around on dirt roads by myself the next day without issue because it all made sense to me.
>>
>>13927171
Let off the gas pedal with the clutch engaged and the car in gear. Notice how the car slows down rather than just coasting?
>>
>>13927171
VROOOMMM BRAAPPAPAPAPAPAP VROOMMM BRAPAPAPAPAP...
>>
>>13927171
Poor bait/10
>>
>>13927171
Leaving the car in gear while braking instead of putting it in clutch/neutral. Not a native speaker so there might be a different word for that in english but I call it engine braking.
>>
Unless you can rev match well, when you first start out driving manual I suggest you just brake with the clutch in and your right foot on the brake pedal.

Brake pads and rotors are much easier to fix/replace then a clutch and flywheel. (Brakes you just need to take the wheels off, clutch and flywheel you need to drop the entire transmission or even possibly lift/lower the engine a bit to get the transmission out on certain vehicles).

Once you have been driving manual for a year or two, and understand the basics very well then you can get into engine braking and what not.
>>
>>13927076
WHY IS THIS SO HARD PEOPLE?!

WHYYYY

CAN WE PLEASE GET A MANUAL STICKY
>>
>>13927076
Engine brake and regular brake, clutch in before you come to a stop. Don't go into first when moving.
>>
>>13927364
No. YouTube exists
>>
>>13927364
>implying /o/ can agree on everything enough to make a sticky
>>13927254
>Year or two

U wot m8

I was doing it fine in like less than a month.
>>
File: 1446872926111.jpg (28KB, 480x625px) Image search: [Google]
1446872926111.jpg
28KB, 480x625px
>>13927254
>a year
>A YEAR
>A YEAR OR TWO
>>
File: 1428672733400.jpg (86KB, 650x427px) Image search: [Google]
1428672733400.jpg
86KB, 650x427px
Unrelated, but I explained engine braking to a "car guy" friend of mine, and a few days later as I was downshifting towards a light, he said I shouldn't do that so much because it will wear out the engine brakes
>>
Put it in neutral
Apply brake
So easy.
>>
This reminds me when I had terrible brakes . Down shifting hard and pumping the brakes all the time aha
>>
>>13927431
My brother had fuckawful brakes and this is pretty much what he did for almost a year, along with abusing the fuck out of his parking brake. Eventually one day when he was leaving a parking garage, the parking brake must have failed, because he rolled right into and through the garage, totaling the shitbox he was driving.
>>
File: 1440696742944.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1440696742944.gif
2MB, 400x225px
Use your conventional brakes together with the engine brake to minimize brake wear and maximize fuel economy

When you reach the speed where you feel that the engine is now fighting your brakes instead of working together with them its time to put in the clutch and only use the normal brakes

Coming to a stop; all depends on the place you're stopping... some places will allow you to use your engine braking until you reach the aforementioned speed without hindering or slowing anyone else down, while for other stops it may be more suitable to keep a higher speed, putting in the clutch and braking to a stop more quickly than you would've with engine braking & conventional brakes at the end

No real point putting your car in neutral when you're moving
>>
>>13927076
youropoorfag who was thought by a driving instructor just like every other eurofag here:
>drive normal speed
>see stopping indicator
>start coasting until you actually want to brake
>start actual braking
>see/feel/know/listen when engine is at 1000 rpm.
>press clutch
>come to a complete stop
>engage 1st gear
>wait for go-sign

[troll mode]
>floor it
>release clutch instantaneously
>>
>>13927076
Brake. Right before stop push clutch in. Either shift to neutral and let go of clutch or keep your foot on the clutch until green light. Once you've stopped holding the brakes is optional unless you're on a slope.

As for downshifting I don't do it because by the time I shift down just one gear I would be going to fast and would need to brake anyway. Plus if you dont match the revs exactly you'll damage your whole transmission quickly.
>>
>>13927590
God damn that grammar and spelling was awful. Let me try again:

If you're coming to a stop, brake. Right before you come to a complete stop, push the clutch in so you don't stall. From there you can either shift into neutral and let go of the clutch completely or keep your foot on the clutch and shifting to first gear until the light turns green. Once you've stopped, holding the brake pedal down is optional unless you're on a slope.

As for downshifting I don't do it because by the time I've shifted down just one gear, I would be going too fast and would need to brake anyway. Plus, if you dont match the revs exactly, you'll damage your whole transmission quickly.
>>
>>13927396
>engine brakes

Was this a semi truck with a jake brake? kek

Though if you drive an auto with a manual select gear shift function, you shouldnt downshift to agressively because the trans isnt as strong with the power going in the opposite direction.
>>
>>13927575
This is correct. Only thing I would add is that engine braking is better in lower gears, so when you're coasting, before you start braking you can rev-match a downshift.
>>
Dont know what engine braking is? Ride a motorcycle. You'll either learn what it is, or die if you're too dumb to learn.
>>
>>13927802
This, between the low weight and often higher compression they engine brake like nothing else

Makes it a pain sometimes, coming down a nice hill and I wanted to stretch my arms out for the comfy, slowed down way to quickly even in 6th
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.