[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask a guy who fixes cars pretty gud anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: ase_master_technician_badge.jpg (47KB, 300x390px) Image search: [Google]
ase_master_technician_badge.jpg
47KB, 300x390px
Ask a guy who fixes cars pretty gud anything
>>
>>13922283
How do I Master Certification?
>>
>>13923479
You go to a room get patted down and take some tests.
>>
Top 3 most reliable brands (I guess the ones you fix least or maybe do very minor repairs on)

Top 3 least reliable brands (or the ones you see in the shop most often)
>>
>>13923479
Ask Technician B, he knows his shit
>>
File: FinalDriveCoverToolVW297.jpg (19KB, 400x364px) Image search: [Google]
FinalDriveCoverToolVW297.jpg
19KB, 400x364px
hardest cars to work on?
>>
File: 20150514_194749.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150514_194749.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Why are rotorcraft better
>>
>>13922283
low level diesel techs have easier and better paying jobs than you. How does this make you feel?
>>
>>13923492
Underrated post
>>
File: t3860868.jpg (4KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
t3860868.jpg
4KB, 160x120px
when in the rust belt, which cars are most durable? meaning the undercarriage of course
>>
>>13923479
3 years of experience as an automotive technician

Take 9 tests

Congrats, you're a master
>>
>>13923529
Nothing from the 80s or 90s
>>
>>13923488
Every make has its duds and winners. Toyota, Honda, and Chevy tend to keep cars on the road longer than others, from what I've seen. I could be wrong. As far as vehicles I've owned, Audi was the sturdiest, but that again goes back to the model more than the make.

As for the least reliable, despite the price range, Cadillac and Lincoln tend to have some real shitboxes. Or maybe it's just that the dumb wives of rich guys drive them around and refuse to maintain them. It's untelling.

>>13923492
Kek

>>13923501
I worked on a Pacer once. Never again. Fuck those things hard.

>>13923508
Life isn't all about money. Doctors and lawyers make more than me, too. Should I go be one of them? I'm happy where I'm at.

>>13923529
Check out some smaller SUVs from Volvo. They tend to stand up pretty well against salty roads.
>>
>>13923690
The exception being Volvos. Dat galvenized tub.
>>
>>13922283
Bought a car two weeks ago. last sunday while driving on the highway i was overtaking I felt the clutch slip.
Clutch needs to be replaced I'm pretty sure about that. But the car also has a dual mass flywheel and my guess is that needs to be replaced too.
Even though it's still under warrenty I'm afraid that the company I bought the car from will probaby say that there is nothing wrong with the flywheel and that they'll only replace the clutch.
I'm afraid though that when the warrenty is over, my flywheel will certainly break eventually and I'll have to replace both the clutch and flywheel costing me a shitload

what do?
>>
>>13923780
There's nothing you can do unless you buy a flywheel yourself. I wouldn't worry about it much, though. They're not going to make money on the labor side of the job so the dealership will try to throw as many parts on it as possible to break even. 99% of dealerships would install a new one if there was even an inkling of a doubt about the integrity of the flywheel in this situation.

Just don't rush them or call about it 20 times or it will get cobbled together with the bare minimum and probably a few bits missing.
>>
What is the biggest pain in the ass repair? I've heard its replacing a transmission.
>>
>>13924741
Transmissions are easy as fuck on rwd vehicles.
>>
My clutch is starting to slip In second gear when I apply full throttle, how long do I have before my clutch completely dies?
>>
>>13922283
Whats the best diagnostic scanner for a small one man shop?
>>
>>13922283
How do I fix my dash rattle? It drives me mad and I don't want to buy a new defroster panel because of the few broken plastic clips. Any tips?
>>
How do i git god-tier gud at shade-tree wrenching? Like "#1 grandpa" level. I feel like i'm stuck at "common bubba" level since i can't tackle heavy jobs like engine or tranny removal. Should i get an harbor freight engine crane or a trans jack?
>inb4 buy an engine machine shop
>>
>>13927029

Not the OP...

You honestly need a good workspace to do it in, like a nice tall and wide garage or barn (that have concrete floors). That has work benches and place to move around and what not.

To become god tier you need a proper 4 post lift. DO NOT BUY A CHEAP ONE!!!! I am serious, you may see some out there brand new for $2500 or $3000 but they are complete shit, not certified, etc... You can get a proper used one that will last decades for around $5000 installed and inspected.
>>
File: quickbuggy.jpg (8KB, 219x250px) Image search: [Google]
quickbuggy.jpg
8KB, 219x250px
>>13923492
you said something funny
>>
>>13926854
Not OP but if your shit is slipping in fifth then you have approximately 120 miles.
>>
How the fuck can I reset that annoying airbag light on my late-model Nissan?

> Hurr Durr shut your ignition on and off 3 times

Shit don't work on this ride, yo.
>>
>>13922283
What are your thoughts on Scotty Kilmer
>>
>>13928577
Autobody tech here, not OP.
You have a fault in the system. If it isn't bad wiring, them one of the components is bad and needs to be replaced. Was the car in an accident with deployed SRS? Sometimes the estimator neglects to write all the components that need to be replaced. All sensors, bags, and ignitors, plus the SRS module need to be replaced that were "involved". Then on most makes, the OBD needs to be cleared.
>>
>>13928615
I didn't buy it with the sensor lit, then after almost a year, without anything happening the light just magically lit up one day and has stayed lit since then.

Mechanic buddy told me I had to take it in and probably get one of the sensors replaced. What would the chances be that I was in an accident and the airbags didn't deploy?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.