[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Auto-Shop Rip-offs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

Is it really that prevalent? I remember taking my cars into a Meineke for random shit in undergrad, and it seemed like they alway followed up the consultation with one or two more issues. I was young and dumb so I didn't bother getting second opinions and ended up paying for shit I might not have needed. How often do you think this happens? How do you know if your auto repairman is putting one over on you?
>>
>>13921900
I think most are honest, but want to make money so they'll so jobs that aren't urgent, but will make money.
Fluids would be a good example.
>>
>>13921978
But how can you tell? Just by educating yourself? Shit's expensive.
>>
>>13921978
Or filters.
>>
>>13921900
>require specialty service
>wonder why it's expensive

The only way a shop will "rip off" somebody is in parts prices, they make money on the labor and parts that are being installed on your car.
>>
>>13922441
>Meineke
>specialty service
>>
>>13922768
He should have said 'convienent service'

Il
>>
>>13922804
>Meineke
>convenient
>>
>>13922817
> shitposters on /o/
> good trolls
>>
>>13921900
>Take my car in for an MOT
>HAd it checked 3 days before by a family friend, said it would pass no problem
>Fails for 9 different reasons
>One was literally "Headlight bulb slightly misaligned"
>They qoute me £900 to fix it
>Car isn't worth £500
>Trade it for another shitbox with 8 months MOT on it
>Never taking a car for an MOT again unless I get something amazing, just gonna keep trading for long MOTs
>>
>>13922828
> being this europoor
Damn dude, after 8 cars you may nearly have owned over 500 cubic inches of engines!
>>
>small town
>no can really rip you off because gossip travels faster than light

It's nice. There's nothing wrong with going to a shop, but make sure you have a fair idea of the condition of things in your car. Know your fluids and filters. Odds are they won't fuck with you and if they do you will know and be able to call them out on it.
>>
>>13922854
Also if they do a service you didn't consent to don't pay for it.

I got my CV axle replaced at a shop and they changed the oil too without asking me. They tried to charge me an extra 50 dollars for it. I hate that guy and it sucks to be him, but I made a fucking stink about it and they let it go and I got it for free.
>>
>>13922870
Thats why if its not on the work order, you don't fuck with it.

"Fuck it" and "Glad it isn't my car" are two mantras that get chanted often in the shop
>>
>>13921900
first do your research and look up part prices
then factor in labor costs
done

and yeah shops that know you dont know shit WILL fuck your wallet up so go in telling them whats wrong and shit or what you think and say you don't got the time to do it yourself
>>
>>13922881
Like I said I hate to be that guy. I understand that sometimes a tech might do something to be nice. However I was still 1500 kms until it was due and at that time I was a poor college student who lived pay cheque to pay cheque and an extra 50 dollars was painful.

Now I work full time I've lost a bit of my backbone.
>>
>>13922892
>yuropoors

also no he was trying to jew you

No tech in the world is going to just go do free work unprompted
>>
>>13922849
I've already got about 370 Cu in under my belt after 3 cars, I'll probably break 500 with the next one

Total horsepower so far is about 410, so I'm not doing too bad. I'm not going from 60hp Fiat to 60hp Fiat, I'm trading around 15-20 year old BMWs and Saabs
>>
>>13922906
Wait? you think I'm euro? m80 I'm as American as a v8
>>
>>13921900
Yeah it happens all the fucking time even at good shops. I deal with mechanics not doing the work they should have done on a daily basis. Unless you know someone at a shop you will get the runaround, up selling ur grandma on shit is how they survive
>>
>>13922768
>specialty - something that a person or place is known for making or producing very well

I forgot, that's why there are so many shade tree mechanics instead of shops. Totally makes sense.
>>
>>13921900
>Is it really that prevalent?
Yes. I wouldn't even take a brand new car to the dealership at this point. I get a factory service manual and buy factory parts and that's it.
>>
>Firestone always recommends some ticky-tacky stuff that should probably be done at some point
>mostly disregard it
>as worn out as my shocks are, it's still going to ride like shit with new ones
>worst so far was "we see a bit of oil seepage, we want to put some dye in it to see where it's coming from"
>yeah, no
>it's 23 years old and I'd be more concerned if it wasn't seeping oil
>never a hard sell, so I don't really care
>sometimes they catch some good stuff like an aging serpentine belt
>changed it myself anyways for like 1/6th the cost
>>
>>13921900
>my dad takes his work truck in the local jiffy lube for oil
>i offer to do it but he has to cus company truck and receipts
>i check his tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid.all good
>i go with him cus father son bonding is cool
>we get there
>drop it off in the parking lot
>lube jew comes us 10 minutes later
>"yeah looks like your transmission fluid is low and it smells like its burning"
>iveseensomeshit
>"no that's not possible, i just checked it before we drove here"
>"well, that's what we're seeing"
>"alright, i think we've wasted enough time. we're leaving"
>"well okay, if you want to risk it your work truck's transmission, we'll knock off $5 on your oil change to keep ya"
>fuckno.jpg
>"no thanks, we'll leave."
>we leave

fucking greaseballs, man
>>
File: pepeshotgun.jpg (36KB, 396x388px) Image search: [Google]
pepeshotgun.jpg
36KB, 396x388px
So are you fucked if you're mechanically inept?
>>
>>13924249
>going to a quick lube place
>ever

Literally the last place I would ever have my oil changed.
>>
I'm a parts manager at a dealership. The biggest thieves are the service writers. You wouldn't believe how many people don't read their owners manual. All new cars (2010+) come with 100,000 mile coolant. At least 10-20 dumb asses a week do a coolant service with 20-50k. Every asian gets a brake flush with their brake job. We've even got one customer who thinks they do a brake flush with every oil change. Never trust a service writer, especially the females. You're just their next pair of shoes, pocketbook, ect. Everyday I see techs tell them the car needs X & they want 3 hours labor. The writer sells the job, pays the tech 3 hours, but charges the customer 6 hours with the extra time going to the writers gross.
>>
>>13923079
>up selling ur grandma on shit is how they survive
i know that feel
dicks at the tires shop sold him tires with tpms for his 96 ranger, jewed him out of $40
>>
File: QyvJi2b.png (154KB, 248x215px) Image search: [Google]
QyvJi2b.png
154KB, 248x215px
>>13924344
it was muh grandpappy by the way
>>
>>13924325
Tech here. Can 100% confirm.
>>
File: 1440820771399.png (104KB, 680x583px) Image search: [Google]
1440820771399.png
104KB, 680x583px
I worked in a Wally world TLE shop awhile. I never ripped anyone off or let anyone in there try too. I would straight up call someone out trying to sell tires. Wasn't like we get commission. But heres a fun story.
>be me not you
>Me and old guy who is tech supervisor
>Skip
>old ass piece of shit
>shady as fuck
>working on POS van owned by some meth head farmer because Missouri
>Skip backs his van out
>door swings open and catches bay door
>bends the EVER LOVING FUCK out of it
>Skip tries to crowbar it back into place
>BENDS THE EVER LOVING FUCK OUT OF IT
>but gets it to close
>takes it outside and calls customer
>guy says thanks and leaves
>COME RIGHT THE FUCK back inside and skip has gone off to lunch
>mfw
>"What the hell did you fucking do to my van?"
Hell idk man whats wrong with it
>"fuckin door wont close now you fuckers are gonna be paying blah blah sue sue yada yada"
>well let me get my manager

Ended up letting him take it to a shop and we got charged for it. I know the cunt did all kinds of shit like that. Finally got him fired
>>
>>13921985
>Just by educating yourself?
What do you mean "just" Education is important. If you have an interest in learning then it comes easy over time.
>>
>>13924257
Not necessarily. You just need to find someone you can trust. They're out there.
>>
>>13922931
You've collectively owned almost as much horsepower as a $30k Mustang...man I feel bad for you car guys in Europe :(
>>
>>13922849
underrated post
>>
>>13924257
You should always try to at least learn how to do basic maintenance. Most of the shit that goes wrong with car is because people don't maintain their shit properly
>>
I have tried 4 different shops, all seemed reputable but they never did things properly. It's like they take absolutely no pride in their work. I will probably end up with most maintenance equipment eventually, might not save much money but a whole lot of frustration and disappointment.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.