[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help picking out some tires for my commuter car. I dont

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Need help picking out some tires for my commuter car.
I dont know a damn thing about tires that dont go on trucks/suvs so bare with me.

I live in California so All-Seasons are fine, where im at it rains maybe 2 weeks out of the year, no snow, and sun the rest of the year.

I dont remember the exact dimensions but my wheels are 13"s.

Just need some names i can rely on that are offered at Les Schwab or Firestone.
Sears was my 1st choice but they dont cary anything under 15"s.

Car is an 82 Corolla btw.

Pic related the wheels of my car
>>
File: image.jpg (141KB, 600x797px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141KB, 600x797px
Guys, i dont want to buy some cheapo tires
>>
>>13921379
Price range?
It's hard to find any good tires in a 13".
They are all going to be economy tires.
BTW I'm the same guy that's helped you with everything.
Because I care about your corolla
>>
Go to discount tire and put on what they recommend. I've always went with Michelin for all season tires and I think they are pretty good. If you have no weather at all, a summer tire will have more performance oriented advantages than all seasons.
>>
>>13921379
Kumho solus
Toyo proxis seem to both come in 13"
>>
>>13921676
I want to keep it under 200 a tire.

And thank you Anon.
Yeah i figure theyd all the Economy, heres the tires my local Les Schwab carries
Thunderer City 202
Himilaya WS2
Wintercat XT
I-Pike W409
Zovac HP W401
Observe GSI5
I-CEPT EVO W310

Most of the descriptions say "excellent winter driving" but i mean thats almost non-existant here.
>>13921678
Ill have to look again and see if Michelin offers any in my size. I have Michelins on my truck and theyre awesome, well worth the 1200 i spent on them.
>>13921699
Ill look these up in a bit.
At work so sorry for sporadic posting
>>
Im an idiot, heres what my local Les Schwab has
http://lesschwab.com/tires/browse-tires/car/all-season
>>
>>13921379
>>13921647

What do you want? Just something cheap in a strict dollars-per-mile sense? Something grippy? Something quiet?

If you have 13" wheels and your only sources are Les Schwab or Firestone retail outlets, you're pretty much stuck with cheap and or crap DESU. They're probably only going to carry their cheapest all-season tires in those sizes. They might have one or two touring all-season options that'll fit. Neither chain carries any summer tires in those sizes, which is a shame because in much of CA you can get away with summer tires all year round.

If you just want to not get ripped off and be able to drive your car, there are some dirt cheap 400 tw all seasons (the Primewell PS at firestone, don't know the Les Schwab equivalent) that are reasonable in a strict dollars-per-mile sense.

They might or might not be able to get two upgrades, which will probably both have to be ordered:
1) to some touring-marketed tire with a quieter and better ride, but the same or worse treadwear,

2) A higher treadwear version of the touring. A lot of tire shops are filling this slot with a Low Rolling Resistance tire, which improves MPG at the expense of ultimate grip.

If you want something decent (like a summer tire, or a touring tire at a non ass-reaming price) you'll have to order online and have them installed locally. I use tire rack and have a local spanish-language used-tire shop mount/balance them. I have a friend who's used tire rack's "ship to firestone" option, and he was happy with it. Firestone upsold him on an alignment during the installation, though.
>>
>>13921823
continued

I just looked it up, and factory was 155/80, ur fukt. Nobody makes that size anymore. Must have been bias-ply from the factory or some shit. Tire rack has literally one option. At least it's a good price.

And it looks like what the last owner did was buy a more common size than the original size. Zooming in on your image he went to a more common 175/70R. If you don't have any rubbing problems in the fenders, stay with this size, it will only throw your speedometer off about 3.5% (low).

If you've got even more room left in the fenders, a 185/70 would be closer to the original diameter than what's on it now (but a little wider). And still none of the tires you can get in that size are very special, although there are a few snow options (which don't matter to you)

But if you can fit a 185/70R13 tire in your fenders, you are better off going to a 15 inch wheel, and then a whole world of options open up for you in 185/55R15, at about the same diameter as the factory tires. You start seeing "high performance all season" options, a bunch of high-end touring tires, and even a Yokohama summer tire. For your $200-per-corner budget, you could probably buy a decent set of tires AND wheels in a more modern size.

However, it seems tragic to me to not use those beautiful stamped steel wheels.
>>
>>13922033
I know i really like the stock wheels.
I was going to clean them up in the original color and throw some beauty rings on them, then locate 1 more dust cover cause i only have 3 of them with the OG Toyota T.

The previous owner had some 15" wheels on the car but i thought they looked like shit and the wheels were balding.
>>
>>13922033
Also would it help if i went with a tire that fits a 13" wheel but is a bit wider?

Im gonna try and see if i can find some stock Toyota wheels that came in 15" but the same lug pattern.

Itd be so much easier if i was shopping for truck tires ugh
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>13921379
>All-Seasons are fine
implying
>>
>>13924476
On A 1982 corolla DD. They are
>>
File: RWD Corolla tires.png (360KB, 1048x826px) Image search: [Google]
RWD Corolla tires.png
360KB, 1048x826px
>>13922829
Everything we're talking about is wider - much wider - than the factory set. What you've got on there now is wider than the factory set. How much wider you can go only depends on how close to rubbing on the fender you are.

Honestly, you might as well just buy the one tire that Tire Rack carries in the factory size, and have your local Firestone install them.

It really isn't worth all the hassle of finding out of a wider 185 tire will fit under your fenders, and then hunting down 15" wheels with an obsolete 4x4.5 bolt pattern, if at the end of it you're just going to put all-seasons on it. Get the all-seasons that fit the shit you have now.
>>
>>13924552
When you put it like that then ill just go buy some of those cheaper tires.

Ill prob see if down the road i can do a lug conversion or axle swap to a more common pattern so i dont have to deal with this headache.
Friend of mine had the same problem when he was tire shopping for his Corvair cause lol13"wheels
>>
Get these tires Y/N?

https://www.cokertire.com/maxxis-175-80r13.html?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D&utm_content=700402&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1dWyBRDqiJye6LjkhfIBEiQAw06ITrplOlLMsVPdGxDZXgYdAn3UhndcOGL42EJ2S9jwex4aAo6z8P8HAQ

Personally i think they look good
>>
>>13926733
Never heard of them. They seems ok for just normal everyday tires
>>
>>13926745
I ran Maxxis Buckshots on my truck before, they lasted fucking forever even though they were Mud Terrains.
Im hoping these are as reliable as those Buckshots
>>
>>13921379
Saw a lady driving a clean white liftback a few minutes ago. Rare sight in salty french canadia.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.