[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ghetto fixes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: 6373851.jpg (49KB, 493x350px) Image search: [Google]
6373851.jpg
49KB, 493x350px
Did you ever ghettofix something on your car?

How long did it hold together?

Pic unrelated, just some dude trying to get into a Mercedes only meetup.
>>
new clutch cable wouldnt quite reach the pedal

i put a couple chain links on it to make up the difference. lasted abouf 4 months, and broke two days ago.

by that time, it had stretched enough to fit properly. 30 mins on the side of the road and now its really better than ever
>>
File: 1385629076733.gif (2MB, 300x413px) Image search: [Google]
1385629076733.gif
2MB, 300x413px
>>13911473
>got a hairline crack on the upper connector nipple of my surge tank.

>Crack was tiny but car was absolutely pissing coolant under pressure.

>Used some JB Weld for a quick fix because I needed to use the car before I could get a replacement tank.

>JB Weld held better than I expected.

>Much better than I expected.

>So well I got lazy and said it's good enough. No sense in buying a $99 surge tank when this JB is holding so well.

>Holds so well I completely forget about doing the repair.

>3 years later... Driving in town. Smell Coolant.

>Low coolant message pops up.

>Go to check level. Remember about the halfassed repair I did years earlier.

>Yep... the bond finally broke.

>Decide not to half ass it again and replace entire surge tank like I should have in the first place.

That was my first experience with JB Weld. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed. If it can hold in a moderate-high pressure situation like that for 3 years, it gets my stamp of approval.
>>
>>13911897
3 is actually damn impressive indeed. I'd probably have half assed it again if it holds that long but sure, it's better to get that shit right if possible.
>>
>dad's 5.9l Cummins dodge had the nipple break off for the overflow coolant tank. Needs a new radiator
>tap threaded fitting into broken off nipple hole.
>engine sealant around edges
>3 years and counting

>own frc c5 corvette
>weatherstrips leaking
>new weatherstrips are like 1100 dollars
>not even joking, don't have the money for it
>form in place black silicone for new weatherstrips
>ugly, but no leaks
>going to replace them eventually but fuck, 1100 dollars weatherstrips wtf
>>
2 piece header sheared bolt off during road trip used c- clamp to hold it together. Only ment to be on for 100 mile trip home lasted 3yrs and 40k miles until I repaired properly
>>
>did timing belt yesterday
>somehow blew my battery recharge fuse
>120 AMPs, car drove for like 20 seconds then caged to a stop
>drive it back to shop with battery jump box under the hood attached
>impatiently get the two prongs soldered together
So far so good....
>>
What should you always have in your garage to fix shit?

-duct tape
-jb weld
-glue
.. what else?
>>
>>13912823

zipties
rivet gun
beer/alcohol
>>
>JB weld expansion tank cracks
>>
>>13912057
>Soldering a fused connection without finding out why it blew in the first place

Enjoy your car-b-cue, namefag
>>
>>13912823
>>13912826
shoe goo
a good car battery charger
an air compressor and air tools
>>
File: 1250634851174.jpg (46KB, 604x548px) Image search: [Google]
1250634851174.jpg
46KB, 604x548px
>>13912826
>zipties
FUCK YES

FUCKING ZIPTIES I LOVE YOU SO FUCKING MUCH
>>
part of the plastic broke on my bottom engine cover (where a bolt goes) so I crushed up a beer can to sandwich between the bolt and the cover. Has held up for a year now
>>
Crashed the shitbox and both headlight plastic mounts snapped. Ran four wood screws through the rad support into the assembly and it's held up this entire time, about 7 months
>>
>>13912044
>Meant for 100 miles, left on for 3 years
Kek
>>
My truck was down on power and showing cylinder misfire on #4. I suspected an injector, but that was a lot of work to fix that. so after about a month, I gave it more effort and realised the fuel pressure may be too low and that could cause it.

so after pulling the fuel filter/regulator, and pulling the bed off to pull the pump, I couldn't really find anything.

The problem eventually went away and it's been almost a year with literally nothing done to it/replaced.
>>
the cover to my air filter broke off a piece leaving a small hole for unfiltered air to get in. I simply super glued the piece back on which will last until I need to change my filter again.
>>
>car wont start for some reason
>take out spark plug
>black as shit
>sand the fuck out of it
>car starts first crank
i need new sparkplugs
>>
File: renault megane boot lock.jpg (37KB, 620x522px) Image search: [Google]
renault megane boot lock.jpg
37KB, 620x522px
>trunk release button of my shitbox plops off at speed
>talk about it with dad the next time I see him
>thought about ordering an improved part from Ebay
>only 20 something euros including postage
>dad suggests it's the faget option
>he has a small block of mahongany left from a carpentry project
>we sand it down to proper shape by hand
>takes better part of two hours to get it just right
>nigger rig the rod and spring in place
>prevent falling off with fishing line

worked beautifully until I ended up getting the proper part at the same time I changed the hatch gas springs
>>
>Doing first oil change with my dad at like 14
>Dad drops sump plug into the catch pan
>It disappears
>No seriously, we strained the oil through chicken wire into the recycle bottle, the plug wasn't in there
>Spend half an hour looking for it, nothing at all
>Dad gets pissed, puts a spark plug in plug
>It stays there for another 4 years until he sells it
>>
File: 20150913_180717.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150913_180717.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Multiple cracks held by duct tape then applied JB Weld. This was about 2 months ago, still haven't finished sanding and painting.
>>
>>13911473
>mercedes meetup
>let's all take our automatic transmission portable couches and circlejerk over our cars
I don't know why that guy would try to interact with those peasants, he should take his e39 elsewhere.
>>
>>13915895
>Implying that E39 won't be an auto 520i
>>
>>13913773
This
>>
>>13915895
>judging the yuropean event from a burgerland standpoint
>>
>>13915831
This is the best shit I've ever read on /o/
>>
>>13913773
>hear sound like fan knocking against something when i turn the car off
>turns out bundle of cables in front of the fan just past the grill is hitting the fan
>can see marks on fan where cable bundle has been hitting
>dont want to risk fan cutting open cables
>get coat hanger and pull it forward
>manoeuvre a zip tie in and tie it to some metal toward the front grille
>could have tied it to the grill but knew i'd notice it and drive me crazy
>test it out and ziptie holds nicely and the knocking is gone

I ziptie almost everything now, zipties are good shit.
>>
Hehehe....

Dr350, bottom case cracked where chain broke anf slapped it. Oozed oil.
>gap filling epoxy ftw. Took two coats but bike is going strong still, not mine tho

Volvo 240, weird clanking on braking from rr.
Pull wheel, all hardware holding pads in gone, pads pushed out against wheel barely held in.
>fug. 2 and three quarter decking nails and steelstick. Ran it for months before i had to inspect it

E brakes rattled. Removed shoes from both sides and put a screw with a ball of steelstick on it so when you pull the handle there's resistance.

Always keep a set of the little leads with alligator clamps on the end, 2 bucks at a hardware store to clip wires and bypass circuit boards.

Im a complete hack, but at least i anti seize everything.
>>
>>13918524

zipties also make that satisfying sound when you pull them tight on things.

some of the best tools to have around in the garage.
>>
>>13918585

Ooh, from an old car

Driving along, all of a sudden press gas NOTHInG happens. Idle to a stop. Plastic bit going from throttle body to open the throttle plate snapped and fell off, disconnecting the throttle cable.

>fixed with pipe cleaner for life of car.
>>
>Rubber material of transmision mount tore off of its bracket/housing
>Gorilla Glue that shit back on

Haven't had any issues...yet.
>>
>my 4runner makes a small click noise when you push in the back passenger side wheel/tire really hard
>ignore it and hope it fixes itself
>>
does someone have some infographics?

would love to print out some useful stuff for my garage
>>
>>13918600
You can also use the ribbed side to cut PVC pipe.
>>
>>13921396
i like this idea. i dont have any tips however so someone else needs to make one.
>>
File: rps20151116_154314.jpg (270KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rps20151116_154314.jpg
270KB, 1920x1080px
Cv boot ripped. Patched with some tire tube,gorilla tape and zipties
>>
>>13912826
>zipties
100%. My exhaust was rattling so I ziptied it in a bunch of places. Problem solved.
>>
>>13924374
>using zipties made of plastic on hot as fuck metal

yeah have fun with that
>>
>buy duct tape since everyone seems to love it
>get the 3M one
>while touching the sticky surface notice how it isn't that sticky
>apply it on some clean and curved metal
>a day later a part of it lifted upwards from the curve

The fuck?
Is it supposed to only work when applied in rough MASSES or did I accidentally get a dried out roll?
>>
>>13915895
Underpasted Roast
>>
>>13924419
buy gorilla tape next time
also how long did you go in your life never owning a roll of duct tape?
>>
>>13924481
shitty normal tape without those fibers in it
>>
The rubber thing on the brake pedal that pushes the brake light switch deteriorated on my MR2. Stuffed a microfiber towel up there because I didn't drive the car very much, and it worked. Sold the car like that.
>>
>>13924587
Also I hit a stump or some shit 4 wheeling my 4x4 Nissan hardbody at night, drunk. It fucked up the bumper and I later found out it tweaked the radiator support and pushed the fan shroud into the fan. The fan plastic welded itself to the fan shroud. I yanked the fuck out of it and got the fan free, then figures out that if I stuffed a crushed beer can under the fan shroud in such a way that it allowed the fan to get proper clearance. Drove it 2+ years like that, and ended up selling it that way. I really fucked that poor truck up.
>>
Happened today actually

>Just bought cheap ass 03 Focus
>hoses routed wrong, coolant res hose rubs against belt and starts leaking
>whatever, close to the ghetto aap
>dumb ass at counter didn't know the difference between a coolant hose and a crankcase vent hose
>gorilla duct tape and hose clamps
>just use tape, no water, found a bucket with standing water from who knows how long, BK cup transfer into res
>works better than expected, only leaks half the jug out in a 20 minute trip home
>>
>>13924744
Another

>Helps friend find supercheap car
>my specialty
>400 dollar Plymouth Sundance
>King of Raggety Ass Ghettofuck Cars
>Drives 3 hours back to my town
>Lady eventually buys it from me
>Sometime later it wont start
>after some investigating the shift cable has come off the shift lever.
>nobody sells the bushings anywhere in the universe
>Coat hanger

Last I saw she was still driving that raggedy sumbitch.
>>
File: 968.png (690KB, 1024x556px) Image search: [Google]
968.png
690KB, 1024x556px
ai remember some shit like this from being a kid. basically, dad was in a racing series with a team, the teamlead was semi proffesional, the rest, about 5 guys, was just people wanting to go racing. They were driving an LS swapped Porsche 968 and that entire thing was ghetto

>ALL body panels were molded in glass fibre, and they never quite fitted, so they were usually duct taped and zip tied in place
>big rear spoiler, never really fitted properly either
>front lights were removes, and holes covered up, last minute rule changes states the car needs front light, despite being track only
>this is fixed by drilling a hole in one of the glassfibre headlight covers and installing a flashlight. once again with zip ties
>rims were never the same, we usually ran with 3 5-spoke rims, two white and one orange and a single 8-spoke rim
>clutch was basically a light switch, meaning it was either on or off, so the car couldnt really start on its own, but rather needed a push
>interior was completely removed (it was a race car after all) but there was a baby seat next to the drivers seat for some reason, i guess it had to be a two seater and proper racing seats were expensive
>the muffler was two food cans welded togwther and pointed up in a 45 degree angle
>food cans were also used to patch up a leaky exhaust
>we had a soda can in the engine bay, sort of on top and slightly to the left, connected via a tube, no fucking clue what its purpose was

this is what the car looked pre-mutilation
>>
File: Zip-Ties.jpg (241KB, 768x642px) Image search: [Google]
Zip-Ties.jpg
241KB, 768x642px
>>13924380
hoo boy
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.