[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time changing brakes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: brakes and rotors.jpg (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
brakes and rotors.jpg
41KB, 500x500px
This will be my first time changing my front brakes and rotors myself. I am mechanically inclined, I am a carpenter and engineer. It doesn't look to hard to do. What tools do I need, tips and tricks for doing the work, and should I do anything else while I'm down there?

Tools I already have:
Floor Jack
Jack Stands
3/8 inch drive ratchet
1/4 inch drive ratchet and socket set
6 inch C clamp
JIS bit set
Plus various other tools

Max Brakes Elite xDS rotor and brake set (Are these good?)

Tools I am planning on buying:
3/8 inch Torque wrench 10-80 Foot pounds
3/8 inch breaker bar 12 inches
3/8 inch manual impact driver
3/8 inch metric socket set

Is TEXTON a good brand for beginners on a budget?

Car is a 2005 Honda Accord EX-L. Had the brake fluid flushed already.
>>
Shit's easy. If you've got a friend with you it can make it a little easier/faster so long as they aren't a dipshit.
>>
easy job, on par with oil change.
>>
>>13900734
>Is TEXTON a good brand for beginners on a budget?
Brand of what?

Get a factory service manual, it will tell you everything there is to know.
>>
easy

i found it nice to look up car model and youtube video and just follow along
>>
You might need an impact driver as Hondas tend to have screws on their rotors. Also, get brake cleaner to get the packaging grease off the rotors and brake anti-squeel to go on the pads.
>>
>>13900740
I do have a friend who isn't a complete dipshit, just need to tell him we are only doing the brakes and rotors, or else he will be wanting to do an engine swap.

>>13900743
>>13900755
Already watched a youtube video, looks simple. Not terribly worried about it.

>>13900749
Brand of hand tools, as in the ones I was planning on buying. I would prefer Craftsman, but I have to pay for school and other stuff.
>>
>>13900794
I'm getting a manual one to hold me over until I get the Dewalt 20v brushless drill and impact driver set. The sockets I'm getting are impact sockets so I won't have to buy multiple sets.
>>
>>13900815
Buy the Harbor Freight 'Pro' shit, it's fairly nice for fairly cheap.

Don't buy an impact driver, it's not what that guy thinks it is.
>>
>>13900834
The Tekton stuff on amazon is about the same price. They are also having a 15 off 50 sale. And the manual impact driver works on the screws on the rotors for Honda, since most of the time they are difficult to get off.
>>
>>13900833

Manual is fine. I used a tekton one I got off Amazon and it worked fine. Also, if a bolt is giving you trouble and won't break loose you can slide part of the jack handle onto the ratchet or breaker bar for more leverage.
>>
>>13900883
I was just going to use a pipe on the 12 inch breaker bar. Seems a little safer.
>>
>>13900878
You don't know what an impact driver is. It won't help you. Tap a screwdriver with a hammer and turn. If it doesn't work, drill it out. Nothing else is going to work, you'll just be wasting time and money.
>>
>>13900891

That'll work, and depending on your jack it's pretty much the same thing. Also, I highly recommend a flex head extendable ratchet. It makes working in the wheel well a whole lot easier.
>>
>>13900883
>if a bolt is giving you trouble and won't break loose you can slide part of the jack handle onto the ratchet
Don't ever do this. Don't do it with breaker bars, either.
>>
do i gotta bleed the brake fluid when i change pads and rotors?
>>
>>13900909
No.
>>
File: 1280px-ImpactDriverWithBits.png (1MB, 1280x692px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-ImpactDriverWithBits.png
1MB, 1280x692px
>>13900897

I know what an impact driver is, and it's perfect for rotor screws that are stuck. I've had to use it twice now during Honda brake jobs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver
>>
File: Honda Integra Type R.jpg (430KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Honda Integra Type R.jpg
430KB, 1280x853px
>>13900734
I specifically worked on Honda's for about a year straight. I'm not a Honda fanboy by any means. I kinda ended up at the gig and it was a job.

For real, just buy OEM equivalent stuff. Putting anything like that on an EX Accord is plain silly. It's a waste of money while bypassing the excellent Honda OEM pad. I would go ahead and get just cheap normal rotors from Napa or whatnot or even Honda OEM rotors. Napas are 50 bucks. The Accords warp rotors as-is anyways, so if you're really concerned about it, then get some drilled/slotted. Just not worth the cost IMO.

Those pads are most likely not better than Honda OEM at all, and those rotors will do absolutely nothing for you except wear down your pads more. Seriously, the stock pads are very, very nice pads and I don't suggest using anything else. They're super cheap as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-45022-SDA-305-Brake-Front/dp/B00BFDGDK2/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1448076930&sr=1-3&keywords=honda+oem+pads+2003
>>
File: 1388650661210.jpg (625KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1388650661210.jpg
625KB, 1200x800px
>>13900979
>>13900734
Hell, Brembo rotors are about the same price. 60 a pop.
>>
>>13900979
Stephen pls go
>>
>>13900979
I paid 70 for the rotors and pads together. They are having a sale from 150.
>>
File: 1388209787971.jpg (2MB, 2896x1944px) Image search: [Google]
1388209787971.jpg
2MB, 2896x1944px
>>13901012
>not Stephen, try again

>>13901013
If you got them for that price, then I would be extra weary about them. I'd write down mileage of install date and see how much you get out of them. That's not to say they aren't bad, but you get what you pay for.
>>
>>13900994
this
brembro stock rotors are legit and slotted and drilled or both are just for show and offer nothing better unless in rain

now pads is the real discussion
>>
>>13901079
>just for show and offer nothing better unless in rain
Why is everyone on this board so retarded? If you don't know what you're talking about don't speak on the topic. OP disregard anything this poster has said.
>>
>>13901084
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78wbht355R8
>>
>>13900734
Make sure you have some wire to hang the brake calipers whatever you do don't let them hang by the brake hose as that could get damage and start leaking brake fluid
>>
>>13901124
that video literally proves you wrong..
>>
>>13901133
>hasn't been 5 mins yet

but it didn't include regular ones shit
>>
>>13901143
Want to try posting again? In comprehensible English this time, please.
>>
>>13901148
>nit picking
>>
Don't forget the threadlocker, OP. Wouldn't want your shit to pop out at highway speeds, now would you?

Also

>breaker bar
>3/8"

Half-inch drive or go home. Get a nice 18" long one.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.