[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ninja 650 pump chain slack... How much is too much?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 650pumpchain1.jpg (941KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
650pumpchain1.jpg
941KB, 1920x2560px
As the title states
06 ninja 650 oil pump chain slack... How much is too much?
Just looking for second opinions.
pic one of two
>>
File: 650pumpchain2.jpg (881KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
650pumpchain2.jpg
881KB, 1920x2560px
There is almost a 1/4 inch of movement here.
The gears are almost 5 inch cc
This chain probably has and inch of travel in the center. Seems a little much? Impossible to check for certain. The clutch basket is in the way. It only comes off with the pump gear. Does that explain the slack? Also worth mentioning no adjustment is mentioned anywhere in the service manual.
>>
Im having a hard time finding a forum to answer this. Ran fine. Title said it had 40000 kms on it.
>>
Eh, it's probably not too bad. If you ever are doing work like this again, check it and see if it has gotten any worse. If so, you might have a problem.
>>
>>13887861
hard to tell from your picture but if that chain is vertical then it should move about half the pitch of the chain.

You can find the pitch by mesuring the distance between the center of the rivets.

So 1/2'' pitch is 1/4'' movement more or less.
>>
>>13889816
The chain is vertical.
I did pull the clutch basket and to inspect the guide and chain. Everything looks absolutely perfect. No visible wear whatsoever on the guide, sprockets or chain. Its back together now. I have my piece of mind now.
>>
>>13887861
It should tell you exactly how much slack it should have in the owners manual under the seat, if you have lost your owners manual you can download an online manual for free from this website.
>http://www.kawasaki.com.au/owner-info/download-owners-manuals
Hope this helps.
>>
>>13887861
If you are unsure where in the owners manual to look i suggest you sit down and read the entire thing before touching the engine again.
>>
File: pumpchain.jpg (61KB, 788x533px) Image search: [Google]
pumpchain.jpg
61KB, 788x533px
>>13890930
Lol.
You think the owners manual under the seat will tell you how much slack in the oil pump drive chain is acceptable? You are funny.
>>13890931
Owners manual? Come on people. Are there any actual mechanics on /o/?
>>
>>13890930
Checked. Nothing in that manual about oil pump chain slack.
I will download the manual any way. It may help later one.

The chain im asking about is inside the engine, behind the clutch. Not the drive chain for the wheel and not the chain for the cams. Those are both adjustable, and they are easy mode at that.
>>
>>13892853
You'll probably have to get a service manual or ask on a forum.

My timing chain tensioner failed once and it all looked fine but had rubbed on a pump bolt perpendicular to the guide. I think it was floating off the guide on over run. If it hadn't been making a noise I never would have noticed.The oil pump is critical, I would get a positive answer.
>>
just tighten it to what feels good.. god damn have you never changed a chain on anything.
>>
>>13893125
0/10
bamp
>>
>>13893097
that is a service manual

kawasaki service manuals are kinda shitty in case you didnt notice
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.