[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mazda 3 MPS 2nd gen

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: c0c2f3ba.jpg (54KB, 480x322px) Image search: [Google]
c0c2f3ba.jpg
54KB, 480x322px
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting second handed Mazda 3 MPS 2nd gen, anything bad about the engine I should be looking out for?

(For example I found a beatiful one, 2011, ~40k km which had FOUR owners already.. there has to be something wrong)

Pic not that specific one i want.
>>
>>13880174
You're asking the wrong people.
/o/ hates speed3s for no real reason. Go read through forums and ask there.
I personally love them and have driven two of them at autox. I know several people that own them and none have reported issues.
>>
>>13880174
carbon buildup
>>
>>13880174
>which had FOUR owners already.

Christ, stay away. If there wasn't something wrong after the 1st or 2nd, the 3rd or 4th would surely have hammered it to shit.

There is one major known issue in the 2.3L MZR I4 DISI, and it relates to throwing rods.

There were some reports of owners having thrown rods under severe load. However, 99% of these cases appeared to be owner neglect and stupidity (i.e. redlining the fucking car and running it in mid gear at full boost non-stop all fucking day long every day forever). I recall one faggot figured he could go 10,000km between oil changes because "muh synthetic". He was also the kind of dipshit to run the engine really hot, ended up burning off too much of his precious Royal Purple, grenaded the fucking engine.

If you can find one that's had 1 or MAYBE 2 owners max, you should be OK.

Don't ever buy one without a carfax/carproof, and get MAINTENANCE RECORDS. A good owner keeps these, a stupid driveway swaggot doesn't. Likely because it hasn't been serviced, or his stance buddies did the services. Either way it's bad news.

They are good cars and the MZR engines are known for being very solid engines. Do keep in mind that it's also running under boost, so don't expect to get 250,000km out of the engine. A NA MZR I4 would do that without issue, but turbos inflict more hurt on an engine.

Also, check the car for rust. Earlier gen Mazda3's and Speed3's were notorious rust magnets, especially around the wheel wells and rear lights. Check underneath for rust and rot too.

Only other common issue, which is fairly simple to remedy, is the rear engine mount. The stock one tends to wear out on a lot of them, so everyone just replaces them with the Corksport polymer insert. They say it's a lot better too, reduces shudder and makes the throttle feel firmer.
>>
>>13880208

Not saying they don't suffer from this, but they are direct injection. Also, this can be remedied with the occasional use of some STP and by redlining the engine periodically.
>>
>>13880194
>>13880224

thanks for the feedback, definitely aware about the records but we have this stupid habit in this country - people ask techs to leave big repairs/problems out of the maintenance records. But yea definitely 2nd owner max is my idea, too. Good to hear the engine is solid, I'll be running it mostly in the city so reving a lot
>>
>>13880282
>people ask techs to leave big repairs/problems out of the maintenance records.

Technically that's illegal and would constitute fraud if they knowingly sold you the vehicle in that manner. The fact that they intentionally mislead you for profit, however, would be hard to prove.

Your best defence against that kind of shit: bring it to a mechanic you know, or someone trusted, who can plug the car in and do a scan of the code history. It will show all the codes the car has generated, so if there's a major problem-related code, and you don't see a service record for it, something is amiss.

Sometimes people will have a known issue and the car keeps telling them about it (i.e. dash warning light is on), but they'll clear the code when they're selling it. Couple days later, or maybe a few weeks later, it will come back on.

Your only other defense is to buy something from MAZDA, that's certified pre-owned. But that'll come with a considerable price increase (probably a few thousand more).

http://www.mazda.ca/en/certified-pre-owned/

My overall opinion on any hothatch/toy, like an STi, Mazdaspeed3, etc. is that's not worth the risk buying one used. Either buy one brand new, or just find something that's more reliable and accepting of some mods (i.e. S2000).

Caveat emptor bruh.
>>
>>13880174
My friend has a speedy3 seems really over priced for what you get, it's not that nice at all it feel's quite cheap. I don't even think it has a lsd. If you want a mazda for some reason get a speedy6 but those are meh to imo. Like really who wants a 4pot turbo, can't get much more boring.
>>
>>13880380
Are you 12? You sound 12.
>>
>>13880386
I wish I was 12, life was easy. I just think it's a shit car so I tell people not to buy them when I see people ask about them on here
>>
>>13880405
You're pretty ignorant then.
>>
>>13880386
Also I'm on my phone so it's easier to type like a retard
>>
>>13880338
LOL s2k huh no thanks Honda bro
>>
>>13880412
Because I don't like something that I've driven on many occasions I'm ignorant?

>"Your opinion is different then mine, so your stupid"
is that what your trying to say?
>>
>>13880430
>is that what your trying to say
No I'm simply saying you're ignorant
>>
>>13880386
Definitely 12
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.