[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to make electric cars more appealing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 10

File: HYBRIDRICE.jpg (39KB, 540x432px) Image search: [Google]
HYBRIDRICE.jpg
39KB, 540x432px
How to make electric cars more appealing?
>>
>>13876533
>manual trans
>straight cut gears
>>
they should make hard-material speakers that emulating the sounds of a revving engine and resonating chassis, and you can switch between different cars and engines on the computer.
>>
Make them look like normal cars, and ofcourse work on the range & cold-temperature power loss so that they can work for those who live outside the cities

>>13876551
Mate, that has been around for years, and we'll probably see it in electrics if it hasn't already been used

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a7923/the-rise-of-the-fake-engine-roar-11291754/

http://jalopnik.com/the-renault-clio-gives-you-the-fake-engine-sounds-of-yo-1697053915
>>
>>13876533

>Pay video game companies to put them in racing games and such
>wait a few years
>?????
>profit

Also, take out the heavy batteries and replace with a gas tank. While doing this, replace the electric motor with a real engine.
>>
>>13876533

make them affordable
>>
>>13876533
faster and economical wallet wise
and give it that loud whizzing noise like that one race car if sporty
>>
>>13876573

They put them in Forza
They all sucked.

There needs to be a meme game for them.
Imagine a game where you are a straggler in a post-apocalyptic world, struggling for fuel. Using whatever you can to get energy.

Oh wait it already exists, and they used bitchin V8s for it. Not no pussy prius.
>>
>>13876541
this

https://youtu.be/7zBFeAPSpbM

I'd drive one if it sounded like this
>>
>>13876605

I don't care what anyone fucking says.
That shit sounds unholy as FUCK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY92NAdGaR4
>>
>>13876605

you gonna have to wear hearing aids soon after. there's a reason why helical is even preferable in racing over straight cut.
>>
>>13876533
>ricer
>>
>>13876598
>implying that air cooled 4 bangers wouldn't be the true cars of the apocalypse
>>
I want a leaf, it fulfills what I'd want in an electric car, but a v8 is the first on my wishlist.
>>
educate people on the economics of EV ownership.

The majority of people could probably live with just a LEAF. So long as they can rent a gasoline car or find other transportation for those rare times they really do travel far.
>>
>>13876541
PUT STRAIGHT GEAR IN A 1ST GEN HONDA INSIGHT
I LOVE IT
>>
>>13877118
>post yfw the dreaded geo metro gang comes over the horizon
>legend has it they can track a man for months across country
>>
>>13876605
good lord that sound is absolutely horrendous

it's a fucking RC car from hell
>>
>>13876631
I drive with headphones on anyway
>>
Sounds like a giant pair of hi-torque cordless drills fighting to get out of an empty file cabinet.
>>
>>13877118
I'm wondering what cars are still out there, which can have parts made by a decent blacksmith in a coal forge, with hammer and anvil, brine and tongs...
>>
>>13877228
>2021
>have fuel to use a forge
>don't have a steam powered machine shop
>>
>>13876533
Clean electricity, the US's reliance on coal makes electric cars worse for the environment than there petrol brethren. Shame because they are good fun with instant power.
>>
>>13876533
LS1 swap.
>>
>>13877228
Early wagon types with low compression engines
Like model t and such
>>
>>13877904
Or a decent engine instead.
>>
Better batteries
That's it.
>>
>>13876533
he actually did it the absolute madman
hahahahahaha
>>
>>13877228
Literally nothing without spending serious weeks filing things like the pistons to size.
>>
1. Make batteries with higher energy density than gasoline
2. Make them cheaper
Other than the points above, electric cars are superior to ICE. I fucking hate having to do all sorts of maintenance, shit breaking down and so forth. It would be MUCH simpler with an induction motor that has one moving part.
>>
File: essai-clio-rs-6.jpg (97KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
essai-clio-rs-6.jpg
97KB, 500x300px
>>13876569

I remember first seeing that on top gear...

>Inner 12 year old is so happy right now.
>>
>>13877473
no.

coal power plants produce more energy per gram of CO2 they release compared to even the most efficient ICE car.
>>
>>13879004
Hahahahaha

Oh I do like the jokers on /o/ always good for a laugh.
>>
>>13879015
coal power plants are at least twice as thermally efficient than gasoline or diesel internal combustion engines.
>>
RANGE EXTENDERS.

Something easy, that's not integral to the car so it doesn't have to be purchased upfront. Hell, rent out the damn things. A lot of EV owners will never need them, but having the option will put a lot of people more at ease in owning an electric car in the first place.

Surely one of the OEMs can come up with some kind of compact module that takes up, say, 1/3 of the car's trunk space, locking in place to a built-in power connector and exhaust vent. The only tricky thing would be ensuring the fuel tank stays sealed since it's inside the car- maybe add a fill port to the car body?
>>
>>13879233
no m8
>>
>>13879331
>he only tricky thing would be ensuring the fuel tank stays sealed since it's inside the car- maybe add a fill port to the car body?
By fuel do you mean electrons?
>>
>>13879347
By "range extender" I mean a small diesel generator that can power an EV for long distance trips, refueling along the way like an ICE vehicle would.
>>
>>13879341
I'm a different anon. I'm trying to find some statistics on it. The thing is the articles tell how much pollutants each fuel produces per year. They don't tell the amount of pollutants per the amount of energy "created" so you can't really compare them
>>
>>13879365
OK you didn't mention that in your first post. I was thinking you meant an additional battery that you would put in your trunk.
>>
Modern gasoline engines have a maximum thermal efficiency of about 25% to 30% when used to power a car. In other words, even when the engine is operating at its point of maximum thermal efficiency, of the total heat energy released by the gasoline consumed, about 70-75% is rejected as heat without being turned into useful work, i.e. turning the crankshaft.[1]

"Most of the large power plants operate at steam pressures of 170 bar and 570 °C Superheat, and 570 ° C reheat temperatures. The efficiencies of these plants range from 35 % to 38 %. Super critical power plants operating at 220 bar and 600/600 °C can achieve efficiencies of 42 %. Ultra super critical pressure power plants at 300 bar and 600/600 °C can achieve efficiencies in the range of 45% to 48 % efficiency."

So even when running a gasoline engine on optimum level it performs worse than a power plant running on coal which doesn't need to accelerate, decelerate, shut down once in a while, sit still for the night and so forth.
Not to mention coal is a crappy source of energy compared to gasoline.
>>
>>13879406
>Super critical
>Ultra super critical
kek, sounds like a 12-year-old boy named those.

Also the creation of electricity isn't the last step when powering electric vehicles. It has to be transmitted to the car charging station, be converted to different voltages, be stored in a battery, then power an electric motor. I'm sure there's a lot more energy loss there, so it could ultimately be much less efficient.
>>
>>13879431
top lel. Efficiencies of transformers, induction motors, power electronics are 99%+ these days and transmission losses negligible.
regards,
electrical engineer
>>
>>13879460
no u
>>
>>13879431
Gasoline also has to be made by cracking, which needs energy, gasoline needs to be transported around the country in trucks and tankers et.c..
Transferring electrical energy across distances is vastly more efficient.
>>
>>13879475
same transportation and such has to be done for coal

Btw I'm not saying electrical vehicles are worse or better, I'm just sharing my thoughts on the process.
>>
>>13879493
No, it doesn't need to be done for coal.
Coal gets transported from mine to power plant. Electricity gets produced.
Oil gets transported from well to cracking plant, gasoline gets transported around in trucks.

It's just that ICE is inherently super inefficient with theoretical maximums for gas engines going to 32% which is just horrible. Take into account stalling, running the engine cold, not on optimum speeds and all sorts of shit.
Electrical energy can also be produced through loads of different ways than coal. If you have too much wind power in a storm you can just divert it into car batteries for example.
>>
>>13876628
>never used to drive powerful electric rc cars
Bro that sound gives me a redneck "bigger boys bigger toys" boner
>>
File: 1393414676135.gif (1MB, 389x279px) Image search: [Google]
1393414676135.gif
1MB, 389x279px
>>13877473
>>13879004
>>13879233
>2015
>not generating electricity with nuclear reactors
>>
>more range
>less rice (white interior plastics, big ol ev logo on the side, etc)
>less weight
>rwd
>affordable
>>
File: bf8.png (260KB, 358x310px) Image search: [Google]
bf8.png
260KB, 358x310px
>>13877159

Gang of Geo Metros!
>>
File: 2pjJ6BY.jpg (193KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2pjJ6BY.jpg
193KB, 1024x768px
>>13877159
Yeh, My Face
>>
make them cheaper and have better range.

I'd be happy to own a cheapo electric car if I could go ~500 miles on a single charge and it cost around 25k
>>
>>13879369
This is all I could find: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/worse-environment-coal-power-plants-gasoline-79355.html

The CO2 reference doesn't work anymore so I'm going to believe it for the sake of argument (it linked to an epa.gov page).

Assuming the article got its data right, the total amount of coal plant CO2 emissions exceeded the total gasoline car CO2 emissions by >30% in 2010. I'm assuming this data is just for the US because the reference is from epa.gov.

So yeah, driving a car pollutes less right now. However, I think you really have to consider the efficiency (equivalent CO2 emissions per km driven) between electric cars (with electricity generated from coal) and gas cars. That information is probably a lot harder to find to be honest.
>>
>>13880296
Fracking has cut a lot of coal use in the USA since 2010.

Peak coal use is 30% in Georgia during the summer. 3% during the winter. Much cleaner natural gas has replaced all that coal.

That is another benefit of EVs. You can generate electricity from all sorts of sources. In places like Quebec, where all electricity is hydro. the co2 per mile from an EV is only from the construction of the EV.

Problem with gasoline/diesel cars. You are never going to find another fuel source like oil. Sure there is Methane and Propane. Though those sources require huge fuel tanks. Propane will run out eventually. Then we will be left with the trickle of new methane we can produce from land fills and synthgas produced from plasma arc incinerators. Most of the bio fuels are worse for the environment than oil. Because they require so much energy, fresh water, arable land, and oil products to create. Algae diesel/alcohol would be good as it doesn't require any of those things and is relatively carbon neutral.

Hydrogen is a fucking pipe dream.
>>
>>13879493
>same transportation and such has to be done for coal

Major coal plants have railroad tracks going straight to coal mines. Trains are about the most efficient way to move fuckloads of shit from point A to point B.
>>
File: zombie 222 electric mustang.jpg (263KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
zombie 222 electric mustang.jpg
263KB, 960x640px
make them burn rubber like it's nothing
new american muscle cars
>>
>>13876533
Now thats what you call a rice burner
>>
>MT
>Very futuristic styling, like a neon-car/sci-car. Basically a sleek and spaceship design BUT NOT OVER THE TOP like Lexus and the Egofaggotisa.

That will serve as an icon.

>1000 bhp
>3,300 lb
>MT/AT whatever you want they don't give a fuck

Basically yeah. The annoying thing is, the battery will overheat at 1000bhp.
>>
>>13879530
>2012
>not using LFTR's
>>
>>13876605
Fookin hell

Sound like souped up slot cars
>>
>>13876533
By getting rid of the battery.
A antismug device might help as well.
>>
>>13876541
>manual transmission

How do you make the process of single gear and no clutch a manual operation? I suppose you could manually swap out two phases for your forward and reverse (electric cars will go the same speed in reverse as they do forward)

Of course there is the possibility you have no idea how electric cars work
>>
>>13876586
/thread
>>
300+ mile range and able to recharge in the time it takes for a 20 gal. fill up.
>>
File: Elio-Motors[1].jpg (104KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Elio-Motors[1].jpg
104KB, 1024x576px
make them less than $7000
>>
Make them cheap little 4wd shitkickers like the 2dr Suzuki Sidekick
>>
>>13876605
That sounds like a golf cart.
>>
File: LS3.jpg (111KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
LS3.jpg
111KB, 640x427px
>>13877904
>>13878061
>>
>>13877228
Trabant
>>
>>13878728
>1. Make batteries with higher energy density than gasoline

Literally impossible. Lithium ion cells are as good as we can get and they still hold less usable energy than a piece of wood.
>>
>>13891117

CNT cells approaching 1ah/gram currently exist in laboratories but they're probably another 5-10 years away from consumer production. If they can recharge as fast as a fuel-up then the ICE would go extinct pretty quick especially in the diesel-electric industrial sector.

But yeah, Li-ions are shit which is the main reason why I don't buy into the Tesla hype.
>>
>>13886394
>1000 bhp is usefull
>>
>>13891117
You don't need close to gasoline's energy density.

Electric motors are 80% ore more efficient. While Internal Combustion engines are 30% at best.

You have 300,000 joules in a gallon of gasoline. less than 100,000 joules actually goes to making the car move. The rest is wasted as heat through the radiators, tail pipe, or friction in the drivetrain.
>>
>>13877904
Nah, shitty diesel and roll coal.

>inb4 shitstorm
I dont like rolling coal its just because its an ecocar. I'd do the same to a prius
>>
>>13891158
any EV battery has to be able to recharge at least once a day every day for at least ten years with no significant loss of capacity.
>>
File: original.jpg (651KB, 970x546px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
651KB, 970x546px
>>13876533
Serious answer: Make electric cars like gaming PCs... Standardize mounting and connectors for plug-and-play motors and controllers, and allow modders to install any motor and controller, even parallel motors.
>>
>>13891299
>ore

What sort of ore?
>>
>>13891311
Litigation would stop that, when someone puts a motor controller in upside down like that motherboard and it kills someone there will be lawsuits flying on the plug and play nature.
>>
>>13891325
How the fuck would a motor controller being mounted upside-down kill people? That's a stupid hypothetical.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.