[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/csg/ Car Salesmen General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 17

File: obama_car_salesman.jpg (19KB, 262x326px) Image search: [Google]
obama_car_salesman.jpg
19KB, 262x326px
Feel like starting this one looking for some advice.

Just lost my job from a horribly shitty shop and looking to transition from basic tech to car salesman. I can be damned friendly and think my personality would make me more money than my hands. I'm not pushy, which might definitely be a negative, but I think that can be very good in today's car sales market.

How many salesman here would honestly recommend getting into sales? Is the constant push from management, the fear of starvation from lack of sales, the horrible hours, constant shitty customers and more worth dealing with? I'm just stuck right now. I'm not qualified for anything else and I'm not in school right now. Can't get into IT because lack certs and exp and fucking hate being a tech.

...pls send halp...

Also /csg/ and funny stories would be awesome. I wish I had some LPG stories to post. I'll try to find some.
>>
File: 1392246633742.jpg (689KB, 1692x1158px) Image search: [Google]
1392246633742.jpg
689KB, 1692x1158px
bampity....posting random pics
>>
File: YcZfP2v.png (443KB, 1286x2622px) Image search: [Google]
YcZfP2v.png
443KB, 1286x2622px
>>
File: 1446014024973.jpg (247KB, 1250x1220px) Image search: [Google]
1446014024973.jpg
247KB, 1250x1220px
>>
File: Olivia-Munn.jpg (51KB, 615x819px) Image search: [Google]
Olivia-Munn.jpg
51KB, 615x819px
>>13840820
>>13840832

Get in here anons, this is now a Longpost Guy thread.
>>
File: 1427403578609s.jpg (2KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1427403578609s.jpg
2KB, 125x125px
>>13840948
I want more LPG stories
NOW!!!!!
>>
File: 21 - x2puYWk.jpg (290KB, 1518x1111px) Image search: [Google]
21 - x2puYWk.jpg
290KB, 1518x1111px
>>13841245
Dumpin
>>
>>13842216
MOAR!!!
>>
>>13840753
Ok guy so you wanna be car salesman?
>>
>>13842333
Y..you're not LPG
>>
>>13842333
WHO THE FUCK IS THIS FAKER
>>
>>13842333
Get the fuck off poser
>>
>>13840753
>How many salesman here would honestly recommend getting into sales? Is the constant push from management, the fear of starvation from lack of sales, the horrible hours, constant shitty customers and more worth dealing with? I'm just stuck right now. I'm not qualified for anything else and I'm not in school right now.

Part 1:
So, my first point would be this. If you have never had to sustain yourself on a commission based job before, just stop. Commission salary is a night and day difference from getting payed hourly or salary my friend. You do NOT want to cut your teeth on the world of commission sales by starting with cars. You will have great months, and barren months, and if his is the only job you have to pay your bills, you will quickly realize why so many people in sales become burnt out alcoholics in a few years.

Second thing you have to realize is this, with no experience, you are going to get stuck in the absolute shittiest jobs they have, which is out on the floor shilling new cars. No internet leads. No manager hand offs. Just you running around the new car lot trying to get people to buy a new Civic. Most new cars have a flat commission (100-200 a car). They do this to see if you have any talent. If you wanna fight through this bullshit to climb the ladder, go ahead, but this where you need REAL EXPERIENCE in commission sales, and why car sales isn't the place to start if you don't have some

Third, you don't really have any control over the deals. You will take your customers offer to a sales manager, and he will be the guy who actually flings numbers around. All he cars about is making the dealership money. He doesn't give a fuck if you make any money, or how much you make. A shit load of your job will be trying to get on the good side of the sales managers who commonly look over your deals to keep them from fucking you in the ass to make the dealership an extra 5 dollars.

>>13842333
who the fuck are you?
>>
>>13842469
part 2:

Fourth: Being successful in car sales is all about having a God-tier small talk game, and god-tier time management. You will have to be able to talk with and relate to all manner of people, from ghetto ass black women to holier than though business suit fucktards. If you aren't the type of person who could go to a dinner party and float effortlessly from one conversation to another between vastly different groups of people, this type of job will be like pulling teeth for you

If you have the personality, then making or not making money will fall squarely on knowing what people to invest your time into, and which to toss in the trash. If you can't figure out who has the money/wants to spend the money from those who don't/won't early on, you will wash out. I see dozens and dozens of people wash out of sales because they either waste all their time trying to run down every single fucking person they talk to, or spending way too much time on people who are never going to/will never be able to buy.

Self help books about sales will talk to you about not pre-judging people. It's all bullshit. being able to size someone up in 5 minutes, and do so correctly is the key to making money in sales

Lastly, to but a positive spin, there is a shit load of money to be made if you can hack it, and learn how to work the system. In a perfect world, do this part time. It's what I do, while getting my masters in IT OP. So much pressure comes off you if this isn't the only source of income you have. And if you have the skill set, you will more per hour worked doing this part time than full time. I know sales people who make 50-70K doing this part time. If you get good, and work your way up the chain, sales managers/fiance managers can make over 100K a year

But let me book end this with a reality check. This field has an absurdly high wash out rate. Lots of people think this is there ticket to a giant salary without a degree. 90% don't last a year
>>
>>13842529
let me add some finishing thoughts on this as well.

If you do go into sales:

-Get a google voice number. you are going to have people blowing up your phone 7 days a week, at all hours, with all manner of stupid fucking questions.

-If at all possible, go a lot that only does used. Used cars have more margin, and offer you a far better chance to make a decent paycheck than new car sales. With no experience, it would be a long shot, but if you can internet sales positions can also be fucking gold mines, as pretty much any major dealership has a crew of people who deal with nothing but phone calls, and e-mails submitted through their website.

-Again, highly unlikely without experience, but possible if you prove you are capable at the job: find a dealership where you have the ability to write your own deals as you gain experience. This is my situation. After I proved I wasn't a fucktard, I was allowed to handle the haggling aspect of the sale myself. I just have to run the final deal past a sales manager to have them confirm I am not giving the car away for free. As long as I keep the deals reasonable, and don't throw out crazy discounts left and right, i am left alone. This shit is haaaaard to find, as most any dealership that does both new AND used will always have a finance manager run the deal, so this again is a benefit of working for a lot that only does used.

-Use this as a stepping stone to something else. It's a great job to get you along while you go back to/get through school, but there is wayyyyyy too much bullshit for it to be a serious long term career for most people OP
>>
So go down your mental progression when you size someone up. White male adult, beard, wearing a suit jacket with a t-shirt underneath...etc/
>>
>>13842469
>>13842529
>>13842556
this should be stickied for anyone thinking about going into car sales
>>
>>13842556
Adding to this; it's hard as fuck to sell something people don't want.
Find out what they want, match it with what you have, go from there.
>>
Hey OP, where do you live? I sell Porsches, Jags and Rovers for a huge luxury import auto dealer group, maybe I can help you.
>>
>>13842469
>>13842529
>>13842556
Thanks, LPG. I guess this has sort of turned me off of car sales. I know it's brutal as hell but I didn't know selling new cars would be /that/ bad. Honestly, have you worked for any other kind of commission based job that you recommend? I'm in a bit of a pickle in terms of having no job and just need something decent for now. Thanks for the reply again, i really appreciate it.
>>
>>13846207
The best place to start in all honesty is cell phone sales. I've never done it, but I know a lot of people who started in it before working up to bigger/better commission based jobs. I was lucky enough that my family was involved in car sales when I was younger, so i had seen and worked around the job from an early age

What was your pay scale like as a tech? and what is your earnings potential if you get more certifications/experience in that area?
>>
>>13847371
I've been doing cell phone sales in Canada for 5+ years for a couple companies, after speaking with buddies in the car biz I can agree with this. It's quite similar, fixing people's silly problems, answering all kinds of questions, small talking, selling and more upselling, paperwork, and all that shit. You'll get used to waiting for and working for that commission, and nothing matters because they're only $1000 phones at the most and low bills, not $10,000 hunks of metal with bigger monthly payments.
>>
>>13847371
The guy I was working with had done it for 20+ years. He finally got a management position making 60k. That fucking sucks. I'm not going to invest my time, money (tools are ungodly expensive), future, and hands/back to make 60k when I'm 40.

If I started in car sales next week, would I be completely fucked? I've read just about all I can into car sales and I think I'm ready, but I'm weary from what you're saying.

Thanks again for the responses.
>>
File: 1385163775894.jpg (783KB, 2600x1727px) Image search: [Google]
1385163775894.jpg
783KB, 2600x1727px
>>13847371
If it helps, I'm in NC close-ish to where you are in the Triangle.
>>
>>13847581
>>13847589
You wouldn't be completely fucked. Most places are going to put you through some degree of training, which will pay you hourly, and that should give you time to feel out if the job environment will be right for you. Would also give you time to look for something else if you think you are going to hate it/won't make any money

What places have you looked at working for man?
>>
File: 1389122389222.jpg (410KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1389122389222.jpg
410KB, 1280x853px
>>13847650
Hell, anything. I was only looking at new car stealerships, and now I'm trying to look at used places. I would almost really like to sell for Ford (family big fan) but Chevy would be awesome. Then there's basically all import, with Mazda being my fav. 'Yoda, Honda, Subaru, all good. Is there one you recommend? I know imports are basically better in every way. I actually have an offer for an interview from Hyundai so I may go sit down with them. Very well rated Hyundai dealership, too.

Thanks, man.
>>
>>13847684
There is hardly margin on Hyundai's. 99% of dealers will simply pay a flat $75-$200 per sale rather than a commission percentage

Hyundai also has a retarded metric associated with sales that must be maintained

Hyundai has quarterly tests for product knowledge and you will not get spins [basically extra money per sale] if you don't have perfect scores and constant certification

Also, prepare to have people constantly cross-shopping and being the biggest nickle-and-dimers on earth
>>
>>13847684
see
>>13847750
Outlines all the reasons why selling new is brutal as fuck

>>13847750
>Hyundai also has a retarded metric associated with sales that must be maintained
>Hyundai has quarterly tests for product knowledge and you will not get spins [basically extra money per sale] if you don't have perfect scores and constant certification
>Also, prepare to have people constantly cross-shopping and being the biggest nickle-and-dimers on earth

Pretty much ALL new car sales are on a flat commission. Another thing they will constantly bust your ass on is customer satisfaction surveys. Cross-shopping and nickle-and-dime is everywhere though. I get that shit in used every day

>But blah blah motors up the road has the same car for 2 grand less!
>car they are talking about has thousands more miles, less options, is in shittier shape, and is a different color
>>
>>13847770
Yahhh I'm sure you don't escape it at most places. I know CDJR isn't as bad as Hyundai in terms of things you need to maintain, though.

Selling used is always either the easiest or the hardest and it's tricky

>you guys are the only one that has this particular 2014 tacoma double cab with v6 in gray within 500 miles! i'll pay sticker for it!!

or the opposite

>yeah i see you have this 2014 grand cherokee limited for 28k but the lincoln dealer has a 2012 rav4 for 27k so im gonna check that out too
>>
File: Mazda RX-7 Yellow.jpg (257KB, 1152x768px) Image search: [Google]
Mazda RX-7 Yellow.jpg
257KB, 1152x768px
>>13847750
>>13847808
>>13847770
Well, Goddamn. Sounds like the whole gig sucks. Would it not be a bad idea to get into it just to get some sales exp and get the hell out of dodge? Or go work at Dodge? (pun horribly intended, sorry)

I'm gonna start looking into used places a bit more now. But at this point, being jobless, if I can find a decent spot at a new place I'll probably have to take it. Unemployment wont be that nice. Would somewhere like Mazda or Ford be better than Hyundai?
>>
>>13847834
All dealers are gonna have the same kind of shit that the manufacturer wants you to do. Your best bet is to go around town to the new car places and drop off your resume, and if you get interviews base it off of what place you think will fit you the best.

My dealership has been around for a looong time and we sell a lot of cars for our market [about 350/month between new and used]. I've been on dealer swaps to little stores, medium stores, and big stores and every one is different. Some are professional, some are like funerals, some are sketchy. Just feel it out.
>>
File: 1396063384653.jpg (1MB, 2900x1933px) Image search: [Google]
1396063384653.jpg
1MB, 2900x1933px
>>13847855
That's actually what I was gonna do tomorrow. There are several highly rated dealerships that I'm gonna swing by tomorrow. Thanks, man. Where are you at now? If you can't tell me the company, is it import or domestic?
>>
File: 1427381131379s.jpg (12KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1427381131379s.jpg
12KB, 250x242px
I WANT SOMEBODY LPG STORIES! !!
>>
>>13847868
You're welcome! It's both. We do Chrysler Dodge Jeep RAM and Hyundai in 2 showrooms right next to each other.

In your interviews, be sure to mention how you don't judge people, treat everyone the same, etc and how their money is all the same color to you. Sales managers eat that shit up because you won't seem like someone who will just broom out customers but aren't gonna let people jerk you around all day and not buy. Fast learner, go-getter, hardworking, and you have no problem pounding the phone or lot getting appointments.
>>
File: 7439982520_b1d728d739_b.jpg (476KB, 1024x679px) Image search: [Google]
7439982520_b1d728d739_b.jpg
476KB, 1024x679px
>>13847899
Oh, that's really funny actually haha. And thanks man, I'll be sure to say that. I was gonna actually say the latter stuff, but didn't think to tell them I'm not judgmental. That's good stuff. I appreciate your time!
>>
>>13840753

I'm not a car salesperson, but I am the internet and marketing manager. I work with the new/used car manager, the general manager and the finance manager, as well as all of the actual salespeople.

If you can find a job like mine at a dealership like mine, you'll be fucking golden.

I make $40,000 a year mostly dicking off, making phone calls and emailing people. But, mostly I dick off. I don't sell cars and I rarely interact with customers beyond phone calls and emails. There is no pressure from the other managers to sell more cars, not even pressure for the salespeople. Everything is very laid back and all salespeople can sell new and used. The smallest that a deal can pay out is $150. None of us are pushy whatsoever and (almost) everyone gets respectable numbers for our online and in person traffic.

My day revolves around responding to customer inquiries through various lead generating sites like Cars.com, Cargurus, etc, and helping them find what they're looking for. I negotiate pricing (which is set by the new/used car manager) and usually when I get a customer in, the car is already "sold". The salesperson takes them on a test drive, goes over paperwork and then gets them into the finance office.

I work for like 1-5 hours a day, depending on the day. It's a very low stress environment and the managers are great people who have been in the business forever, but (mostly) understand how dealerships and the car sales industry is changing.

Seriously, car sales at the wrong dealership can be absolute buttfucking hell. Some places will pressure the fuck out of you if your numbers aren't great. Some barely pay on new cars and the smallest amount that they'll pay you is small. A lot of places breed a culture of pushy, shady sales. Don't work for those places. Look them up online and fill out an e-lead form (use a Google Voice or Skype number and a temporary email). Check out their website, look at how clear cut and honest their advertising is.
>>
>>13840753
>>13847993

If their advertising has an insanely low number like "$49 A MONTH FOR A 2016 CAMRY!" and then in asterisks is "DOES NOT INCLUDE TAXES, FEES, DEALERSHIP ACQUISITION FEE, ETC", that place is probably shit and you'll spend a lot of your time pissing customers off.

Because of the internet, car sales is pretty much a race to the bottom. Customers submit a lead and get responses from dealerships all over and they're all pricing very aggressively. (Our most popular model is $1,100 below invoice), so most of the time customers will want to get the fuck in and get the fuck out.

If you get into a position like mine, you should call a customer (if they provide a number) like 1 fucking minute after you get the lead. Have the numbers prepared and offer it to them. If they want a model or trim that you don't have, prepare numbers on some shit that you do have, or offer to get a vehicle for them (dealer trade), have those numbers too.

If a customer is Russian, Indian, Middle Eastern or a Nigger, you will almost never sell a car to them, at any price. It all depends on whatever dealership they stop at last, because that one will undercut you by $20 and make the fucking deal. Get them into your store and try to keep them there, but you'll still usually fail. Niggers have no credit and don't understand why trading in their $3,000 car that they owe $7,000 on for a $20,000 car makes their payment go up a lot. Seriously.
>>
>>13842216
>>13840832
>>13840820
Anyone have the one about the BHPH lot trying to repo a trade-in as it was being traded-in?
>>
File: image.jpg (212KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
212KB, 1536x2048px
You guys just suck at selling cars lol 1 year in the business
>>
File: 1310487788542.jpg (84KB, 579x616px) Image search: [Google]
1310487788542.jpg
84KB, 579x616px
I DEMAND LPG STORIES.

COMMENCE THE DUMP, PEASANTS.
>>
File: niggerfucker.png (363KB, 379x557px) Image search: [Google]
niggerfucker.png
363KB, 379x557px
>>13848254
Jesus, go die.
>>
File: stop.jpg (16KB, 361x691px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
16KB, 361x691px
>>13848254
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.