[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheap ass suspension for lowering....

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: cheapstruts.jpg (12KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
cheapstruts.jpg
12KB, 300x225px
Requesting advice from cheap asses who have experience in cheaping out on their cheap car specifically 5th gen honda civics.

Hi there I'm an 18 year old turd burglar that has no job and barely enough money to pay for air. I want to lower my car but on a budget that can't afford the cheapest full coilovers and I will not put ebay sleeves on stock struts. So my solution: build my own!

Would it work to buy a set of aftermarket ebay-bought china struts, fit them with ebay-bought china coilover sleeves, and use aftermarket ebay-bought china top hats on them? Would cost about $250 which is in my price range. And would this work better than slapping coilover sleeves onto stock struts? Thank you
>>
>>13839253
Just cut the springs already
>>
>>13839262
Absolutely do not do this. Your car will bounce around like you're riding on a trampoline with fat chicks jumping on it.

Even all cheap china shit will be better than that. They work fine most of the time, they just wear out faster than good quality parts.
>>
just wait and save your money for the good stuff, and get a job.
>>
>>13839262
They were like 15+ years ago by my step mom. But there's still a good 2 inch gap I want to turn into an inch or less. I also don't have the tools to take apart a loaded strut
>>
>>13839253
>Would it work to buy a set of aftermarket ebay-bought china struts, fit them with ebay-bought china coilover sleeves, and use aftermarket ebay-bought china top hats on them?
I suppose so, if everything is the correct size etc, should all fit.

>Would cost about $250 which is in my price range. And would this work better than slapping coilover sleeves onto stock struts?
No idea, the struts you have will be worn out now.

all in all it seems like a waste of money.
>>
>>13839253
Suck it up and put the sleeves on the stock struts. I can't imagine the China struts will last any longer with sleeves on them tham your stock struts. If your looking to get kinda low but not hellaflush you could always just get lowering springs and have a little play left in your suspension.
>>
>>13839291
Ride height is determined by springs, not struts.

Buy lowering springs.
You can rent the compression tool.
Look on cl folks selling used coilovers
>>
>>13839281
I find this reasonable, but not for my situation. I'll probably get a job by the end of the year but then I'll be saving up as much cash as possible so I can buy a better vehicle, move out of my parents house and into another state.
>>
>>13839291
If you don't have the tools to take apart a loaded strut, you don't have the tools to put together your hypothetical ebay chinese setup.

You didn't mention changing the springs in the OP, why? Get some good quality name brand shocks with fixed spring perches and don't fuck with shitty coilover sleeves. Get some new lower height springs instead. Most simple route and you refresh the suspension with quality new parts. If you buy cheap you buy twice.
>>
>>13839317
The thing is, I want the sorta oem struts to remain in the same condition when I take them out so I can put them back in when I move out.
>>
>>13839253
buy used coilovers or lowering springs

or just use a torch/angle grinder on the springs to get them to drop
>>
>>13839317
>look on cl folks selling used coilovers

I would never buy used shocks. I came across a rare set of OEM height adjustable coilovers from a limited edition version of my car. Looked clean as fuck with super low miles so I felt guilty about putting them in my shitbox. Ended up selling them on ebay and then the buyer opened up a dispute because hurp durp they leak. He sent me photos of the obvious leak with the serial number visible. In the end I had to issue a partial refund for him to replace that one shock.

tl;dr don't buy used coilovers because no matter how mint or clean they look, they could be beat to shit and you wouldn't know
>>
>>13839343
What's the point in keeping those shocks? A good set of name brand shocks won't hurt anything.
>>
>>13839336
>If you don't have the tools to take apart a loaded strut, you don't have the tools to put together

I kinda thought about that; do you need to have spring compressing tools to put together my chinese coilovers?

>>13839379
My stepmom bitched that she doesn't want the car any lower. So when I'm finished with it and give it back to her, she can have it at the height it was when she used to drive it
>>
>>13839262
I second that.
You said ''cheap ass'' suspension, it'll do the job for a big 0$.

And it's not as bad as everyone say it is.
I ran a stanced car on cutted springs for a year without any problem, anyway if you do that kind of stuff it'S not like you love driving.
>>
>>13839370
That's your own fault for not putting in a proper description.

Also many folks can rebuilt coil overs for about $100 each. Hope you didn't loose more than the cost to rebuild it.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (203KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
203KB, 1200x1200px
This is what I had in mind for my potential build: pic 1 of 2
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (27KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
27KB, 500x500px
>>13839429
pic 2 of 2
>>
File: s-l1600 (1).jpg (271KB, 1600x1064px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (1).jpg
271KB, 1600x1064px
>>13839429
>>13839436
All I need to know for now is if these would work the same way more expensive coilovers would.

The cheapest full coilovers I can find are these ($450):
>>
File: NTcTiS.jpg (21KB, 179x138px) Image search: [Google]
NTcTiS.jpg
21KB, 179x138px
just change them a corner at a time as funds allow
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.