[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Haggling a Dealership

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1409578069905.gif (3MB, 260x213px) Image search: [Google]
1409578069905.gif
3MB, 260x213px
looking to buy a used car from an otherwise new car dealership.
Their price is already $800 under book value.
I test drove it and there really isnt anything wrong. Its pretty much mint besides some paint chips on the hood.

I've never bought from a dealer before or done an auto loan.

What are the best strategies for haggling the actual price down with with a dealer? I'd like to get another 1k off the price at least if possible.
>>
Depends, what's the specs on the vehicle? And what's the full price? Is it a desirable brand? Has it been sitting at the dealer for a long time? These things can easily drop the asking price when haggling.
>>
Haggle hard, and finance even if you have the cash. Dealers are more likely to take off large amounts if you finance, even if you pay it off straight away. Don't be duped into extras, and don't be afraid of getting quotes from similar spec cars from different dealers and asking for better price that way.
>>
bump anything else?
I do plan to finance.

Should I let the dealer finance for me or should I go with my bank? Should I just go with whoever has lower interest? My bank said with my credit that through them any car 2006 or newer w be 3.9% and anything 2010 or newer will be 2.9%.
>>
>>13837347
>>13839183

Give me like 5 minutes OP and I will throw in my 2 cents
>>
>>13837347

hire a factory mechanic for the car make and get him her to review it for problems that need to be fixed - write a report etc

surprise it may need some repairs
>>
>>13839190
Thanks you were who I were hoping to see a post from.

>>13839196
Unfortunately it's a bit of a rare car for my area (06 mitsubishi evolution, no mitsu dealers nearby) so might not find someone that knows it very well.

It's all stock though and I checked everything I could. They even let me jack it up so I could check stuff like ball joints, wheel bearings, tierods easier.
The only thing they dont have record for is the timing belt being done. I can do it but it'd be nice to factor that into a deal to save me the time. It only has 69k miles but if its the original belt it should be done.
>>
File: Sample-buyers-order.gif (140KB, 800x1035px) Image search: [Google]
Sample-buyers-order.gif
140KB, 800x1035px
>>13837347
So first.

You want to have financing in hand before you go to the dealership. In the end, you can take who ever gives you the best rate, but you want to have something already lined up for the dealership to have to beat. Shop your bank, plus others (BoA, Wells, Capital One) to get a range of offers before you go to the dealership

Once there, throw book value out the window. All that matters is what you are willing to pay, and getting them to sell it to you at or below that price. If you have never bought from a dealership before, keep several things in mind; the are gonna tack on a doc fee, sales tax, DMV fees, and try and upsell you on add-on's like a warranty.

The first thing you want to make them do is have THEM make YOU an offer, in the form of a buyers order (pic related). This outlines, line by line, the exact cost of the vehicle, all the fees, and the bottom line amount you will actually be financing with the bank. Negotiate off the buyers order ONLY. This cuts out the bullshit of them trying to get you to focus on a monthly payment amount, or hide shit like a warranty or doc fee.

Once they give you a buyers order with a an out the door price, you can haggle. you don't need a better reason than 'thats more than I want to pay for this car'. As said above, it will be worth your wild to have an independent mechanic look the vehicle over prior to purchase just to make sure you aren't in for a nasty surprise, and it can give you leverage to negotiate.

And remember, if the dealer can't provide service records, that's another item for negotiation. Either you can con the dealership into a free service, or get them to come off the price.
>>
>>13839296
thanks a ton LPG.
Going to go in in a bit to try to start haggling. Then I'll leave to hopefully make them worry a bit and plan to buy the car tomorrow if I like the price we're at.
>>
>>13839296
I'll likely be in the market for a new car next year. How should I go about negotiating trading in my old car to a dealer? Do I handle that first or later?
>>
>buying used
>>
>>13839619
>buying one of the most quickly depreciating assets possible
no wonder everyone on /o/ is below the poverty line
>>
just do it when you find a car. better yet sell it privately and use it as a down payment, you'll get more that way
>>
>>13839611
Second. It's best practice to always settle on the actual bottom line price of the car first, THEN tackle what you would like to see for your trade
>>
>>13839619
>buying new
>leasing which is the same as renting
>>
File: 1370867692499.jpg (15KB, 266x252px) Image search: [Google]
1370867692499.jpg
15KB, 266x252px
>>13837347
>mfw thats why ameriburgers like fast straigt line cars
>>
>>13837431
huh why would a dealer prefer you finance?
>>
>>13842460
Because the dealership receives kick backs on the financing, meaning they are more willing to wiggle on price, because they can make the money up on the spiffs they get for setting up the loan

>>13842345
this thread too?
>>
>>13842477
I heard you were working on a used/new car buying guide, did that ever happen or was it too much to handle? Appreciate any answer, thanks!
>>
>>13842568
I have a very rough copy of it done finally. It ended up being like....15 pages, and it doesn't flow as well as I would like. I work on it when I have free time. If it ever gets to a presentable state that I am happy with, /o/ will be the first to benefit from it
>>
>>13842586
Awesome thanks, can't wait for it. Hope you make some sales, woo!
>>
>>13842586
I'm a copy editor by trade. If you post it somewhere, I'll be more than happy to edit the guide. I'm also the one who said a while ago that I could turn it into an infographic.
>>
>>13842586
this sounds neat
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.