[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

mk4 golf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: VW_Golf_IV_R32_20090916_front.jpg (635KB, 2511x1731px) Image search: [Google]
VW_Golf_IV_R32_20090916_front.jpg
635KB, 2511x1731px
What does /o/ think of mk4 golfs?
>>
> VW
Shit.
>>
>>13823933
/thread
>>
>>13823928
If it doesn't have at least five cylinders, it's no more than a generic shitbox and don't let the dubber fanboys tell you different.

Perfectly passable generic shitbox, mark you.
>>
>>13823933

Meh, this guys an idiot, I think they're great cars, very clean, small design, the stock motor is a bit underpowered, but they look great.
>>
>>13823949
Think they would make a good first car? I just need a commuter that has a little bit of a fun factor
>>
I owned a mk4 GTI, it was a good little shitbox. It's a little slow, but if you take regular care of it the engine will last for a good while. The interior however went to shit.
>>
If you get the 2.slow, that thing will not die if you keep up with normal maintenance. Not the most powerful or tuneable engine, but ridiculously solid.
>>
>>13823928
the 1.8 is turd
1.9 is decent
2.0 a shit
>>
>>13823949
>the stock motor is a bit underpowered
which stock engine?

OP
I own a 24v VR6, it is a great highway cruiser but a little hard on gas in the city, my friend has nothing good to say about his 2.0 and I hear only good about the 1.8 turbo.

mk IV are getting long in the tooth and running into the need of repairs. Despite the need for repairs VW hold their value better than jap scrap, so dollar for dollar, you can get a newer and less bagged on Civic. /o/ hates VW because of this, really repairs don't cost anymore and they are no less reliable than any other 15yo car. except maybe a Volvo 240 DL
>>
>>13823949
>a bit underpowered
the AUM/AUG 1.8t is like 150bhp stock haha

Their 2.0 gti engines are like 130bhp, Renault can push 182bhp out of a 2.0. Japs can push even more.

They're more then 'a bit' they're shit.
>>
>>13824073
agree.
>>
Honestly, if it's your first car I'd say that thing is just about perfect. But I'd say find a ford-era volvo instead. Comfortable to ride in and easy to drive.
>>
>>13824132
but pre-Ford Volvos are better
>>
>>13823957
Fine commuter, not a whole lot of fun factor unless you put money into them or go for one of the bigger engines.
>>
>>13824165
i really think in the mk4 the best engine offered was the 1.9.
>>
>>13824132
ford-era is when shit started getting expensive as fuck to repair and unreliable. on the plus side though, wreckers are full of them.

Good Volvo = l4, l4t, l6
Bad Volvo = 5, t5, v6
>>
>>13824172
actually stuff like timing belts is easy tier on the "bad era" volvo.
>>
I have an 03 tdi.

Paint is shit
Radio knobs falling off
Shift boot cracks right after changing it
Ships with no block heater
Radio antenna snaps for no fucking reason
CEL for everything
52 mpg mixed driving
1100 km a tank
Torque for days
Easy as fuck to get power out of

Mixed bag man. I'd rather have something Rwd but the amount of driving I do makes them mpgs attractive. Fun to drive but not sporty in the slightest. Seating position is like a park bench. Road noise isn't awful but it's not great. OK to toss around.

7/10 at best. Takes more maintenance then any other vehicle I've owned but not by a huge margin
>>
File: 3893768_orig[1].jpg (156KB, 960x637px) Image search: [Google]
3893768_orig[1].jpg
156KB, 960x637px
bretty gud
>>
>>13824203
Do people hate you for driving a VW TDI? You know, with the emissions scandal and all.
>>
fine cars. getting really old though, suggest you look for a MK5 or 6. Jetta wagons are bitchin and you can find one for not too much
>>
>>13824207
the emissions scandal only applies to the newest gen tdi motors that started being manufactured after 2013 iirc
>>
>>13824245
this. the 1.9 suffers from egr
>>
>>13824245
I know, not everyone does though. It could be that people are giving you shit for driving a VW TDI just because they heard VW TDI engines are bad.
>>
>>13824250
there was the 1.9 and then the 2.0 which debuted on the mk5 and it was used until 2013 and then the motors that are affected by the emissions are the newest ones that use urea i think
>>
>>13824255
well even if they did give me shit I would just laugh in their face as I drive around with muh empeegees and rock bottom diesel prices
>>
>>13824207
The only people that hate me are tailgaters. I've got a potentiometer wired to the injection pump. I press a button my dash and dial the pot to determine how much black smoke I dump in their face. Only downside is that it's a significant hp bump so I usually end up pulling away from them.

My vehicle is the alh engine which was produced prior to the botched Bosch ones.
>>
>>13823981
Is the 2.slow the 2.5 5 cylinder?
>>
>>13826750
Nope, the 2.0 8v. Reliable, just not very fast.
>>
>>13826757
Heard anything bad about the 2.5? Asked about the engine in March and most of /o/ said its vws most solid econobox engine.
>>
>>13826787
Haven't really heard bad things about the 2.5 so I'm gonna go with /o/ on this one.
>>
>>13826810
I was surprised they when people said it was reliable. Basically people told me that I should expect electrical problems down the the line that the 2.5 is durable
>>
File: image.jpg (97KB, 450x370px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 450x370px
>>13826820
Fucking phone. That post was butchered.
>>
>>13826820
The engines were reliable enough up until recently.
>>
>>13826787
The 1.9 alh is the most reliable. Regular oil changes and fuel filter changes and it's good for 400k miles with the manĂ¹el transmission.

Fuel filter changes on it take all of 10 minutes. Literally 4 hose clamps, a Phillips screw and the time it takes to fill the new filter with diesel. Took me longer to change the headlight bulb on the drivers side. Need tiny lady hands for that haha
>>
>>13826870
if you delete egr i think the 1.9 will run and run fantastic with little care
>>
>>13826886
That's my next move. The entire intake manifold is clogged like crazy. I'm just too lazy to take the 4 hours of my life to clean it haha
>>
>>13826870
How do i know which car the 1.9 comes in?

Educate me.
Made a thread asking about them and so far i just have 1 guy trying to be helpful and a tripfag telling me to get a Dodge Shadow.
I dont care about modding it, just want reliable and MPGs.
>>
>>13827077
when the back of it says TDI
its pretty obvious on the golf.
>>
>>13826750
>MKIV
>2.5

Try again
>>
>>13827077
Any 1999 to 2004 tdi is a safe bet. Id scope the Vin to be sure though
>>
>>13827097
Was asking about a mkvi 2.5
>>
>>13827044
Just buy a new one
It's like 70 bucks and you can delete the egr and cooler while you're at it
>>
>>13823928
Very underpowered econoboxes only German badge whores and Bosnians drive.
>>
>>13827119
Ah, didn't see. MKV and MKVI 2.5 seems to have slight better reliability than the 2.0t. Factor out the auto trans and account for slightly worse mpgs and performance but it is a solid engine none the less. MKV 2.0 here with 143k and nothing really outside of routine maintenance besides a few parts. Also in regards to OP any golf <MKV will have huge community support and part availability. Used parts for mkiv go for dirt as kids crash them left and right. I only buy a few parts new everything else I've found used for a steal
>>
>>13823928
As someone who has owned ever mkX, including a Corrado to a MK4, I will tell you this:

1.8L Turbo - fun, tunable engine, be ready to fix vacuum, boost and coolant leaks

2.8L VR6 - torquey, not as tunable as a 1.8T. Sounds good, more stable motor than a 1.8T, chains and guides need to be done at ~120k, have to pull the trans.

2.0L - Rock solid motor. Slow as balls. This is comparable to Toyotas 22RE gas motor. Timing belt needs to be done every ~75k. Keep up with regular maintenance and it'll run great. Forever. Mine currently has 145k, starts up great every day, doesn't leak a drop. Worst thing I had happen was a stuck thermostat, took 30 mins to replace.

1.9L TDI - Fucking awesome motor. Little maintenance required. Tunable and will roll coal and blow the socks off a lot of things on the road. They don't die, a friend had one with a Cummins turbo and the largest injectors on the market. Made stupid power and when it over boosted it just pushed the head off the block. 280k on the stock bottom end. I'd love to have one.

3.2L VR6 - Also a great motor, it scoots and is fun to drive. Not much tuning wise, other than cams, and forced injection.

Some things to know about VWs, try and avoid aftermarket parts if you can. 2.0L motors don't car, but the 1.8T and VRs, I wouldn't use anything other than genuine VW parts.

NEVER EVER EVER, use anything other than Volkswagen G12 or G13 (whatever the fuck they're calling it) Coolant. Other generic coolants, fuck the block and coolant system bad.

NEVER EVER buy a VW automatic transmission. They're shit, they don't last past 125K miles and when they go, they're so expensive to fix, that it's better just the junk the car.

The body will be okay, it will slowly start to fall apart. Things like door lock modules and cluster screens will die in the heat.
>>
>>13827098
Alright thank you.
What part of the VIN would have that?
Like the ending numbers being "1" and "9"
>>
>>13827279
ending numbers? no
the last 6 is always just production order
>>
>>13824073
1.8t @ 150hp is only a small amount of them. Most are 180hp and both (150 and 180 versions) can chipped to ~200hp for $450
>>
>>13827163
Yeah I'm ready for electrical issues and I'm okay with shitty mpgs for the class. I just didn't want a turbo in the end. Pretty happy with the mkvi so far
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.