[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking at an 08 ford focus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: 08.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
My dad(a mechanic) saw it for sale at his auto shop, says it seems to be in good condition, aside from some minor things like a little corrosion on the top of the car and small windshield cracks. But the tires are pretty worn and they need to replaced soon, its on sale for 3500 but its already got 149k miles on the clock. Its a car that got decent mileage and from what i gather a reputation for reliability but 149k seems like a lot of miles to take it at.

Should i keep looking or does this seem like a really good deal?
>>
Also forgot to add it used to be a commuter's car, so it does explain the high mileage.
>>
>>13821119
>a mechanic
Do you hate your dad?
Because your focus will be constantly broken
>>
The only real question is whether it's an automatic or manual
>>
>>13821156
Bait?

>>13821157
Automatic
>>
>>13821119
I manage a fleet of ford transits (same engine).

Engines lose compression on cylinder 2 at ~250,000, I've had this happen two 3 cars. I have one with 307,000 on the clock.

I buy used engines for $500 off ebay with like 50k on them and swap them in for ~1500.
>>
>>13821179
Yes that's bait.

Manuals are better. I would be wary of automatic models. To date, there is no such thing, aside from V8 Cadillacs, as a reliable FWD automatic.

>>13821185
They're powered by a 2.0L Mazda MZr engine without VVT. Nothing wrong with that engine.
>>
>>13821156
based on what?
>>
>>13821193
Oh, i didn't know the automatics had problems. So this doesn't look like a good deal?
>>
>>13821213
automatics on these are fine. Its a reliable car.
>>
>>13821196
It's a ford
>>
>>13821257
But 149k miles is a bit much for a used car isn't it? And i might be moving soon so i wont be able to count on him for too much longer.
>>
>>13821277
like i said I have 15 ford transit connects in my fleet. They haul weight. Hit 259k with ease.
>>
File: lexuses3000.jpg (197KB, 2264x1141px) Image search: [Google]
lexuses3000.jpg
197KB, 2264x1141px
>>13821193
>To date, there is no such thing, aside from V8 Cadillacs, as a reliable FWD automatic
>what is lexus
>>
>>13821119
I have 148k on my '09 that I bought new. So far I've only had to replace the battery, the brake pads and rotors(just now at 147k), and a sway bar endlink. Other than that it's just been regular fluid changes and tires, I haven't even had to replace a bulb yet. I doubt the auto version will be as trouble free unless it was maintained properly, most people forget they have to change the fluid or are just too cheap.

This has been one of, if not the cheapest car to run that I've owned out of the dozen so far.
>>
>>13821502
Or any Toyota really
>>
i have a '10 with the automatic. it's the worst automatic i've ever driven. revs all over the place, can't pick a gear right. that said, im at 110k miles at it still averages about 35mpg.
>>
>>13821783
>im at 110k miles at it still averages about 35mpg
You say that like it means anything.

My '92 Civic with 210k miles averages 35.3 EMMPEEGEEs, bruh. And the A/C is busted, so in summer I'm driving down the interstate at 80 with the windows down every day.

23 year old manual shitbox Civic with over 200k miles > 5 year old automatic shitbox Ferd with 110k miles.
>>
>>13821818
>faster
>vastly better equipped
>much safer
>interior quietness a '90s Civic could only dream of
>has a/c
>not better

I average 37mpg and get up to 39mpg in the summer in my 5spd Focus. My '95 Town Car was still knocking down 21mpg mixed with 270k on it, bruh. You say that like 210k means anything.
>>
>>13821879
>new car with stick is better than old car with stick
No shit? I'm saying my old shitbox with a 5spd that I got for $800 is better than a new shitbox with an autotragic.

>'95 Town Car
Literally fucking bulletproof. I learned to drive in that car.
>>
>>13821894
>worse in every way
>ties for em pee gees
>better

Is your brain working today?
>>
>>13821907
I've driven an '08 Focus to compare to my '92 Civic. In what way is the Focus better? I can't think of one.
>>
>>13821927
I already pointed the basics out.
>>13821879

The one thing you were trying boast about is a wash anyway, unless you're suggesting there's a significant difference in 35 and 35.3mpg.

I've owned a 3rd gen prelude, 2 CRXs and 2 EKs. Hondas aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread. Is this your first car or something?
>>
>>13821954
>faster
I'm not racing. My little Civic runs 90 easily, which is plenty for a DD shitbox.
>vastly better equipped
What is equipped? I can't think of anything the Focus had over my Civic except a 5 CD changer with wheel-mounted controls.
>much safer
Sure.
>interior quietness a '90s Civic could only dream of
>implying I'm not going to be blasting music anyway
>has a/c
So would my car if I felt like fixing it. This isn't a failing of the model.

>Hondas aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread
Not trying to say they are. I'm saying that I personally don't notice enough difference between the '08 Focus that my friend bought for $10,000 and the '92 Civic that I bought for $800 for me to consider the former a better use of my money. If she has that car for 10 years, she's still made a larger investment relative to the time she's owned the car than I had after 1 year.
>>
>>13821119
I have an 05 manual ZX3.

We also have an 04 automatic ZX4.

I've also known people with other automatic first gens all have loved them much.

But here's the thing about the auto in those, and I'm going to risk sounding like a manualfag but the automatic in those are shit. So, if the '08 has the same transmission (I am unsure if it does, I never looked at anything past 07 since I don't like how they look personally) but if it does, do NOT get an automatic, you will need transmission work around 120-160K miles. Every single person I know who has an automatic first gen has had work on their transmission at around 130 or so. Including us. We bought our 04 with a bad tranny at about 110K

So..Bottom line is.. If the second gen you are looking at has the same auto tranny as the first gen (maybe they updated this since then..) then you might have some problems. This is a well known issue.

Other than that, our 04 and my 05 have been extremely reliable cars and have not given us a single lick of problems ever.

Though, you might later run into some stupid shit, and by that I mean typical Ford shit. Things breaking inside the cabin, knobs, plastic cracking, creaks and rattles, just...Things. It will continue to be a good car and these are pretty good against corrosion so if it's small not too much to worry about and should be a nice little car.

Just watch that automatic. I'm not saying all autos are bad. All I am saying is that the automatic in the first gens was horrible and that I don't know if the second gens had the same one.
>>
>>13822017
I am also saying that the manual in these cars, if you get the MTX75 like mine, is awesome.

Clunky, yeah a little, but god damn is it a resilient little transmission. It's also extremely forgiving and is super easy to learn on (I learned like second nature on my 05 after having the hardest time in my dad's gutless '99 Civic EK hatch).

Also for being cable controlled it sure does have a good feel.

I might get me a short shifter kit though.
>>
>>13822002
>I'm not racing. My little Civic runs 90 easily, which is plenty for a DD shitbox.
Extra power for merging is always appreciated, also it's more >fun.
>What is equipped? I can't think of anything the Focus had over my Civic except a 5 CD changer with wheel-mounted controls.
Bluetooth, USB, AUX, leather wrapped wheel, heated mirrors, auto dimming mirror...stuff like that.
>implying I'm not going to be blasting music anyway
So are you implying that your music wouldn't be better enjoyed in a quieter environment? You're trying too hard.
>So would my car if I felt like fixing it. This isn't a failing of the model.
Are you not the one comparing your specific vehicle to a newer one?

Also, I bought mine for 10.7k new in '09 with 5 miles on it. Your friend paid too much.
>>
>>13822042

Not to mention the Focus does have some damn good speakers stock for the tier of car it is. Civics are just OK
>>
>>13822042
Objectively, you're right and the Focus is a better car.
However, I simply don't care about or notice a lot of the niceties in new cars, and certainly wouldn't seek them out or pay extra just for them.
For the same price? Manual transmission Focus all day long. For a realistic price? Civic all day long.
>>
>>13822114
My ex's brother asked me if it had a sub. Also, my friend bought a '14 Si and it's stereo is worse than my Focus.

>radio doesn't have a volume knob

Why you do this Honda?
>>
>>13822132
My 05 used to have a sub, the PO had one afro-engineered into it. I ripped out what was probably like 50 bucks in battery cable and hookup wire. He must have had some serious fucking setup if he had to run battery cable back there. Or he was fucking retarded.

It's no god damn mystery the alternator wasn't charging properly when I got it.

But after that I swapped out the stock radio for a mid-range Pioneer and I'm so happy with the sound it can produce.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.