[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Strange whistling sound ('84 Laser)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

Hey /o/ I need your input on something

I have a 1984 Ford Laser in mint condition, only 104,000 KM's on the clock
>runs perfectly
>gearbox is fantastic
>so much fun for what it is
>ecobox is life
However
>literally sounds like a fucking kettle
>whistling and whining constantly
>same consistancy of sound when idling and driving
>no idea what it is
>alternator maybe??
>pic related, my red kettle shoebox
>>
Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Make a video?
>>
Does it come from the engine-compartment? Or could it perhaps be the fans of the heater?
>>
>>13657420
this is what I keep reading on forums, but if it is a vacuum related issue why would it be whistling on idle when there no air flow?
>>13657425
from the back right of the engine bay, right in front of the driver. Thats where the alternator is located but I doubt thats what it is, I've never heard one make this sound before
>>
>>13657435

Theres always pressure/vacuum when the engine is running

Try burning some cardboard/paper/some other smokey material around the area you hear the sound and see if there is anywhere the smoke will be blown away
>>
>>13657408
hey that's a Mazda GLC
>>
>>13657497
KB laser. Same as the Mazda 323
>>
>>13657408
Good advice for any car from before '00, regardless of kms:
Tighten everything.

Under the engine bay, the suspension parts, the brakes, everything. Un-do it, clean the thread, use the gentle lock-tite and re-torque it all.

You would not believe how many rattles/creaks this eliminates and how much better the car feels.

Good chance that you'll discover a loose hose while doing this and fix your problem.
>>
>>13659854
not op, but I couldn't find any "gentle" lock-tite, can i just put a tiny bit of the permanent stuff on?
>>
>>13659880
No, you want this shit:
http://www.loctite.com.au/3320_AUE_HTML.htm?nodeid=8804002496513

Holds well but you can still get it undone pretty easily.

Your problem is most likely to do with either a split hose or a hose clamp, pretty much just gotta look/listen to find it. Doesn't hurt to re-seat shit like the alt/air-con/etc properly either, though.
>>
>>13659898
read
>not op
i'm not OP
>>
>>13659954
Are you sure?
>>
>>13659961
im sure about that, but are YOU sure I can't just use a tiny amount of permanent threadlocker?
>>
>>13657435
If its not the vacuum lines, check the connectors to the battery and the alternator, if they're not in good condition it might cause the alternator to work a bit harder and squeal
>>
>>13659816
Mazda =/= ford
>>
>>13660081
Kill yourself.
>>
Take some carb cleaner and spray it around where you think the whistling sound is, and especially on any obvious vacuum lines/on the intake boot. If your idle changes, your vacuum leak is in that area.

Literally just blast it with carb cleaner. Lel.
>>
>>13661514
I am a VW fag and know nothing of your car, but based on where you're saying you hear the sound from, in my experience the brake booster line is in that area, and tends to fail.
>>
>>13660081
I didn't say that Mazda did equal Ford.

The KA/KB Laser was the same car as the 323 though.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.