[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice requested...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: bmwv8n63engine.jpg (45KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
bmwv8n63engine.jpg
45KB, 480x360px
I've always been a big fan of the 5 series ever since the E39. My first big-boy car purchase was a E39 530i. Fantastic car and engine. I upgraded to the E60 M5. I loved that V10 engine, man. The SMG was nothing but problems, but when it was running at 100%, it was pure driving excellence. A few years ago, my wife and I had a kid and I figured I'd get a more reliable and less ridiculously expensive (8 mpg was about my average in the E60) car.
Of course I ended up getting a F10 550i x drive. It definitely wasn't the high revving beast that the M5 was, but I did like that low end torque and 4 wheel drive. Hadn't really had many issues that other 550i owners have had until recently.
Earlier this year my service rep at the dealership notified me that there was a "Customer Care Package" for my car and they needed to look at it.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/bmw-n63-customer-care-package-recall.shtml
It's basically a recall for a number of engine parts. They had it for a few weeks and I got a brand new 7 series in the meantime as a loaner. Once I got it back I noticed a few things - better acceleration. Noticeably. Also the engine fan runs constantly. It's loud. Stays on 30 seconds after the car gets turned off too. I didn't put two and two together at the time that the recall and the fan were related. I just thought that it was summer and it was hot and the fan needed to cool the engine. However I found this article recently:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a25710/enginerdy-strange-connections-bmw-n63-v8/
And that article opened my eyes to some pretty ugly realities about the engine in my car. I really love my car, man. But its clear from that article that the engine is a piece of shit.

If you stuck around through all that up there, my question is the following:
Knowing what I know, do I stay in this car since I'm not really having any issues, or do I move on to something else in anticipation of trouble to come?
>>
File: 1277160909532.jpg (176KB, 1207x801px) Image search: [Google]
1277160909532.jpg
176KB, 1207x801px
>>13654764
It's up to you.

If it helps your peace of mind, I would look at something else. There are cars capable of providing similar thrills.
I would look at the Mercedes E63 AMG, or a Pontiac G8 GT or Pontiac G8 GXP (if you can find one)
Ironically, the Pontiac is probably closest to the thrills a 5 series will give you because the chassis designs are actually very similar.
>>
>>13654764
As a BMW guy I would recommend to drive it until expiration of the warranty, and then just sell it. Used BMW are nothing but a Russian roulette. It's all fun and games until you randomly get rek'd
>>
File: nieuwe-bmw-5-2016.jpg (118KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
nieuwe-bmw-5-2016.jpg
118KB, 1000x563px
>>13654874
Warranty is out. I know what I'm dealing with here. My M5 was a nightmare once it got over 80,000 miles.

>>13654798
I actually test drove the CLS63 and didn't like it as much as the 550i. Never drove the E63. I actually think both of them are sexier cars, but they just don't drive like the BMW does. I'm getting old and set in my ways I guess. I may just wait a few months for the 2016 5er.
>>
sell it
buy an e34 m5
>>
File: 1444345623939.jpg (479KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1444345623939.jpg
479KB, 1600x1200px
>>13654993
Try out GM's Chevrolet SS, it's an updated Pontiac G8 with a Camaro engine, and GM's fantastic magnetic ride control suspension (which has been licensed to companies like Ferrari on multiple occasions)
>>
File: 2014-Chevrolet-SS-Burnout.jpg (61KB, 900x540px) Image search: [Google]
2014-Chevrolet-SS-Burnout.jpg
61KB, 900x540px
>>13655094
>>
ik denk dat je zelfmoord moet plegen
>>
>>13655094
I can detect from a mile that you never has driven a BMW if you really compare it to Chebby or Pontiac
>>
>>13655141
multiple reviews have compared them to BMW's. Even Top Gear has made the comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eInLIqFwSjU
>>
>>13655141
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcm9evmWObk
http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-season-10-episode-8_2381490.htm
>>
>>13655141

it's best not to argue with the GM shill
>>
>>13655029
You meant to say E39 M5, right?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.