[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New theory suggests how the moon may have really formed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: ngeo2866-f1[1].jpg (137KB, 1120x200px) Image search: [Google]
ngeo2866-f1[1].jpg
137KB, 1120x200px
http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ngeo2866.html

>The hypothesis of lunar origin by a single giant impact can explain some aspects of the Earth–Moon system. However, it is difficult to reconcile giant-impact models with the compositional similarity of the Earth and Moon without violating angular momentum constraints. Furthermore, successful giant-impact scenarios require very specific conditions such that they have a low probability of occurring. Here we present numerical simulations suggesting that the Moon could instead be the product of a succession of a variety of smaller collisions. In this scenario, each collision forms a debris disk around the proto-Earth that then accretes to form a moonlet. The moonlets tidally advance outward, and may coalesce to form the Moon. We find that sub-lunar moonlets are a common result of impacts expected onto the proto-Earth in the early Solar System and find that the planetary rotation is limited by impact angular momentum drain. We conclude that, assuming efficient merger of moonlets, a multiple-impact scenario can account for the formation of the Earth–Moon system with its present properties.

http://www.khou.com/features/new-theory-suggests-how-the-moon-may-have-really-formed/385264643

>The formation of the moon wasn't the result of one massive cataclysmic clash of planets — rather, researchers say our moon formed when small "moonlets" came together.
>>
>tfw moonlet
>>
>>99388
I'm glad I was alone in my store when I read this

gave me a good kek
>>
>>99388
>orbit a planet that will never notice you and only hangs around the sun
>will the moonlets ever learn
>>
>be me
>fear is my name (inb4 2edgy4u - it's Phobos)
>moonlet still at 4billion yr old
>story was me and bro and some small rock cousins were thinking of accreting
>next planet over moonlets were getting together and getting big
>"nah" deimos says "dont wanna get fat" "dont wanna share fame" etc etc
>other rocks say same shit
>thing with orbits is you're either all in or you're not, so whatevs, I nod and agree.
>things going good - the small rocks all get flung away or crash but bro and I are big enough to stick around - more glory for us
>meanwhile, at next planet over the moon's nearly done accreting -- it's a fucking gigantic fatass hambeast motherfucker.
>she looks over at us like a lunatic
>whatevs hambeast
>ff to 9million years ago
>still a moonlet around a barren rock
>meanwhile next planet fucking teeming with life; has a huge population of animals who will howl whenever Her Hambeastness is fully shining at night
>whatevs at least I'm not a bitch worshipped by bitches
>ff to 1million years ago
>planet next door now has a population who literally - i mean literally - worships and sings praises to Her Hambeast In Chief.
>look at bro. Look at home planet.
>noticemesempai.jpg
>ff 5000 yrs ago
>score, my home planet gets worshiped too
>I ask about me and bro - nobody knows who we are, if we even exist. Meanwhile Moonie McFatass has songs and books and poems dedicated to her.
>ff 100 years ago
>ME AND BRO ARE DISCOVERED!
>get named after fear and terror -- feels sorta badass actually, but then realize nobody ever learns about us in school or gives a fuck after
>now
>see 4chan thread calling me and bro moonlets
>remember back to when we could have joined hands and become a god.
>>
I heard this theory years ago

Space news is always garbage click bait
>>
Fucking moonlets
>>
>>99437
>she looks at us like a lunatic
Ah ahhhh ahhhhhhh i see what u did there
>>
>>99437
Niceee
>>
moonlets BTFO
>>
>>99437
Fucking kek
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.