[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Russia 'starts to withdraw' forces from Syria

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/06/middleeast/syria-russia-forces-start-to-leave/

>(MOSCOW) Russia has started to cut back its forces in Syria, beginning with an aircraft carrier group, Russian state news agency TASS reported Friday.

>Warships led by Russia's sole aircraft carrier, Admiral Kuznetsov, will be the first to leave the conflict area, the chief of the Russian Armed Forces General Staff, Gen. Valery Gerasimov, is quoted as saying.

>It is not clear if the Kuznetsov's warplanes will leave with it or if any will stay behind in Latakia, Syria.

>The reported initial withdrawal of forces come as a nationwide ceasefire -- negotiated between Russia, Turkey and the Syrian government as well as Iran and Syrian rebel groups late last year -- largely holds across the country, according to the United Nations.

>Russia's air strikes since 2015 in support of the forces of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad have been crucial in helping them to gain the upper hand in the long-running conflict and pushing rebel fighters from the key city of Aleppo in December.

>The decision to cut Russia's military presence in Syria was made by Putin at the recommendation of his Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu on December 29, according to Russia's state-run agency Sputnik.

>"In accordance with the decision of Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Russian Armed Forces Vladimir Putin, the Defense Ministry is beginning to reduce the Armed Forces grouping in Syria," Gerasimov reportedly said.
The warships led by the Kuznetsov will leave the Mediterranean on Friday headed for Severomorsk, in Russia's northern Murmansk region, Gerasimov said.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38528654
>>
Repositioning for Lithuania. Oops did I say that out loud?
>>
Since this article has returned to the front page, I think this makes the whole argument of "Russia should be our biggest ally against ISIS" a hell of a lot weaker. It's not a coincidence that their withdrawal was timed after the Russian backed ceasefire and the fall of the last major rebel stronghold. Russia doesn't give a shit about ISIS, they're not the primary target of ISIS, and they most likely never will be unless the west spontaneously explodes

In order to get the Russians to fight ISIS, the US would have to provide concessions (probably the removal of sanctions), and the US would gain very little in this exchange since Russia adds nothing to America's fighting capabilities in the region that current allies do not already provide. Such an alliance is just welfare for the Russians.
>>
>>99580
>>99583

Don't be foolish it's because they've defeated ISIS.
>>
It makes sense that Russia fights rebels/terrorists in the region closest to their block of power, just as it makes sense for US-led coalition to fight them in Mosul.

Russia was still helping in fighting terrorist in Palmyra, and I suspect that this will continue to happen.

I hope you will also not forget that they have helped the US fight terrorists in Afghanistan for a long time. Putin was one of the first foreign presidents to call Bush after 9/11.

It is probably a lot more difficult for the Russians to free up the few economic resources they have to fight terrorism, considering they have an economy similar to Italy.
>>
>>100839
>Palmyra
I thought Russia had already saved Palmyra.
>>
>>100842
ISIS fighters that retreated from Mosul after it became besieged by the Iraqi forces went to Palmyra and took back parts of the city.

But you don't see me blaming the US for "letting them go".
It makes sense that the US-coalition fights them in Mosul and some will unfortunately get away.
>>
>>100979
>But you don't see me blaming the US for "letting them go".

Wasn't what I was implying to be honest.

They say they are there the fighting ISIS but the reality is a few photo opportunities and then withdrawal.
>>
>>101259
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/us/politics/russia-turkey-syria-isis.html
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.