[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bitcoin breaks $1,000 level, highest in more than 3 years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/02/bitcoin-breaks-1000-level-highest-in-more-than-3-years.html

>The price of bitcoin has breached the $1,000 mark, hitting a more than three-year high on Monday.

>The cryptocurrency was trading at $1,021 at the time of publication, according to CoinDesk data, at level not seen since November 2013, with its market capitalization exceeding $16 billion.

>Bitcoin has been on a steady march higher for the past few months, driven by a number of factors such as the devaluation of the yuan, geopolitical uncertainty and an increase in professional investors taking an interest in the asset class.

>"We are seeing the aftermath of zero interest rates run amok. So bitcoin is a healthy reminder that we don't have to hold on to dollars or renminbi, which is subject to capital controls and loss of purchasing power. Rather it's a new asset class," Bobby Lee, chief executive of BTC China, one of the world's largest bitcoin exchanges, told CNBC by phone.

>China is the source of the majority of trade in bitcoin and the devaluation of the yuan and fears over capital controls have contributed to the recent spike in the digital currency.

>But several other factors have also had a notable impact. For example, bitcoin's price has appreciated around 137 percent in the past 12 months but got a big boost after Donald Trump won the U.S. election in November.

>Another big event this year was in June when a change in bitcoin's underlying rules meant those who were "mining" the cryptocurrency – a process whereby users are awarded with bitcoin if they solve complex mathematical puzzles in order for a bitcoin transaction to go through – received less rewards. This was due to the process known as "halving," which essentially reduces the supply of bitcoin.
>>
Im sitting on 14 coins, that are left over from a long while back.... when it hits $1,100 i'm cashing half of them out
>>
I reaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllly should've bought at 380. I feel fucking retarded
>>
Go to /biz/ and listen to them talk about this shit. You'll begin to get a feel for what investors sound like when making bubbles.

Real currencies don't have this much volatility btw. Eventually some cryptocurrencies will stabilize once they have a base of real-world commerce and all the day trading volume isn't just a bunch of gambling addicts in denial like now.
>>
>>96408
But you can't just "cash out" if nobody buys them, right?
>>
>>96387
Still don't have a "good feeling" about Bitcoin. I love the idea of crypto-currency and the privacy it affords. Until I can get a good handle on this product I decided to go this route:

https://www.goldmoney.com/

I purchase gold and have it placed in my account, payments can be made to merchants and individuals (in either gold or fiat cash) and when/if I cash-out I get my gold transferred directly to me. This I get. The backing to Bitcoin still perplexes me.
>>
>>96516
The problem is not crypto-currency itself but the transition to total digital currency so the state can now watch and record every transaction you ever make under an all seeing eye.
>>
>>96482
Yeah but it's not necessarily easy to do. It depends on who is your exchange now that MtGox screwed everything up a few years ago.

And then on top of that, the moment you transfer it into dollars or euros and put that money into a legit bank account, you owe taxes on it.

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2016/11/21/bitcoin-exchange-extremely-concerned-with-irs-effort-to-identify-users/
>>
I'll trust Bitcoin when I can withdraw it from a cash machine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin#Security

...and it's accepted at my local corner shop.
>>
>>96558
My corner shop actually does have a bitcoin machine.
>>
>>96517
Absolutely! This is one facet of a problem I wish the people at Gold Money would address. Even though my transactions are back by gold the government can still "look into" my affairs, because of electronic transfers.
>>
Crash when?
>>
>[insert currency here] breaks [insert number here] $ level, highest in more than [insert number here] years.
>time to sell ASAP
>>
Update:
https://cointelegraph.com/news/china-warns-bitcoin-users-panic-sellers-drive-bitcoin-price-down-21-percent

>Bitcoin, which sustained an optimistic price rally over the past week, substantially declined in value within the last 24 hours, plummeting by 21 percent after the Chinese government issued a warning to Bitcoin users against potential risks.

>On Jan. 5, the People's Bank of China (PBOC) released a statement to emphasize their stance on Bitcoin reiterating that the government of China does not consider Bitcoin to be a currency. However, the central bank of China highlighted that Bitcoin is still a virtual currency or a virtual “good,” which is legally traded and used within the country.

>Local authorities within the country spoke to leading Bitcoin exchanges including BTCC, Huobi and OKCoin to discuss the status of regulatory frameworks and policies implemented for Bitcoin startups in the country. During their meeting, it was disclosed that the central bank simply asked the three exchanges to maintain operations in compliance with Chinese regulations and policies.

>Essentially, the Chinese government and central bank issued a sensible warning and statement to the general public, which basically entailed that the central bank nor any other government agencies in China are responsible for any potential risks that Bitcoin may or may not hold.
>>
>>96387

http://fortune.com/2017/01/05/bitcoin-plunge-china-currency/

'Nuff said!
>>
>>97624

I'm anxious to see where this goes.
>>
>>97624
Oops! Did China do that?
>>
>>96408
If $1100 USD is your sell point you won't be "...cashing half of them out" any time soon!

http://fortune.com/2017/01/05/bitcoin-plunge-china-currency/
>>
eight years ago i was seriously considering buying $5000 of bitcoin. knowing nothing about it. i'm bipolar. i would have had to cash out my wal-mart stock. i decided against it but a couple years later i needed some money. i did put a bit into the house. housing never goes down.
>>
>>97804
8 years ago they were less than a dollar each.
You'd be worth like 4 million dollars right now.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.