[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

China Bans Its Ivory Trade, Moving Against Elephant Poaching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/world/asia/china-ivory-ban-elephants.html

>China announced on Friday that it was banning all commerce in ivory by the end of 2017, a move that would shut down the world’s largest ivory market and could deal a critical blow to the practice of elephant poaching in Africa.

>The decision by China follows years of growing international and domestic pressure and gives wildlife protection advocates hope that the threatened extinction of certain elephant populations in Africa can be averted.

>“China’s announcement is a game changer for elephant conservation,” Carter Roberts, the president and chief executive of the World Wildlife Fund, said in a written statement. “With the United States also ending its domestic ivory trade earlier this year, two of the largest ivory markets have taken action that will reverberate around the world.”

>According to some estimates, more than 100,000 elephants have been wiped out in Africa over the past 10 years in a ruthless scramble for ivory driven by Chinese demand. Some Chinese investors call ivory “white gold,” while carvers and collectors call it the “organic gemstone.”

>Elly Pepper, a wildlife advocate with the Natural Resources Defense Council, which is based in New York, wrote that China’s announcement “may be the biggest sign of hope for elephants since the current poaching crisis began.”

>Wildlife advocates have said for years that the most important step in putting poachers out of business would be shutting down the ivory industry in China.
http://www.voanews.com/a/conservationists-applaud-china-plan-to-phase-out-ivory-in-2017/3658113.html
>>
>'bout bloomin' time innit?
>>
>>96305
Now they just need to stop drinking tiger wine, eating shark fin soup, making boner pills out of rhino horn, grinding up pangolins, collecting bear bile, illegally fishing in other people's waters till the fisheries collapse, and generally thinking that every rare and endangered plant will make their tiny junk double in size.
>>
>>96310
Shark fin soup ban is coming they can't piss off all the millionaires there all at once.
>>
Why would China do that ? I don't get it ... I mean, sure it's cool for elephants but the elephants who get killed aren't from China ... Is it to build up an image of responsible country ?
>>
>>96365
It's because the Chinese know that there are less than half a million wild African elephants left in the world, and they can't keep taking 100000 of them every decade.
>>
>>96367
What I'm asking is why China does this, not why the elephants are going extinct.
>>
>>96365
China is the number one importer of illegaly harvested ivory and the international community has been pressuring them to ban it for awhile. They finally caved.
>>
>>96432
Also, China is trying to make inroads into Africa and that's hard to to do if they're pissing off the locals by harvesting one of their iconic wildlife that brings in the tourism bucks.
>>
>>96432
People blame China but actually Europe and other Asian nation's are balls deep in it.

ChIna is just the scapegoat.
>>
Related:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/01/05/world/africa/ap-af-zimbabwe-elephants-to-china.html

>Seeking Cash, Zimbabwe Sells 35 Elephants to China
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.