[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amazon Alexa Data wanted in "Criminal Investigation"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1482933678492.jpg (42KB, 876x493px) Image search: [Google]
1482933678492.jpg
42KB, 876x493px
What else do you think happens when you get a device straight out of the book "1942" ??

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/12/28/amazon-alexa-data-wanted-in-murder-investigation.html?intcmp=latestnews
>>
>>95340
>1942
do you mean 1984?
>>
>>95340
Ohh no, all my shower singing and sex noises! I'm busted.

Do you know what it would take to record and store even 1 day of audio from homes with Alexa nationwide?

I'm going to guess that Amazon will come back with, 'yea, right. Here's 1 quadrillion gigabytes of people asking how Alexa would fuck them. if you want the toilet paper orders, it'll be another quad.'
>>
>>95390

Pretty much this. I work for Amazon, we have a lot of data centers but not nearly enough to store even a fraction of what people say to Alexa.

Unless we are talking about just transcripts. But those would be incomplete because Alexa can only understand one person speaking at a time.

This is retarded.
>>
>>95547
but if you're interested in one particular alexa unit, amazon may have that data indexed
>>
>>95547
Oh god I hope Amazon doesn't cave in, it would be terrible for stock prices and Alexa was a big hit in sales this year.
>>
>>95552

Apple didn't give in to the FBI, Amazon can easily win against local law enforcement.
>>
>>95551
It only records after the initial voice command. Even if they had transcripts, I doubt the guy asked Alexa how to chop up a body, what to do in a murder situation, or how to evade police.

Essentially, they're testing the waters. I'm just not sure why they'd care what Americans ask Alexa for.
>>
>>95547
Voice compresses extremely well. Look at Codec2 and others. Even without skipping silence and such, 300 million devices worth of 24/7 recording could probably be stored at a rate of maybe 2 exabytes per year.

>>95666
Well, all the easier. Realistically, we're probably talking way under 100 petabytes per year. Maybe even less than 10.

Amazon apparently has "Snowmobile" semi trucks with 100+ petabyte capacities, for sneakernet.

What Amazon chooses to devote to this is debatable. What Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and others are able to devote is another matter.

Interesting note: the government's Utah data center has an estimated 3-12 exabyte storage capacity.
>>
>>95711
I assume it records Alexa commands and questions for deep learning purposes. In a sense all Echos are always listening in waiting to hear the key word.

Could they record everything? Yes. But applying Occam's Razor to this theory, why would they? There would be an immediate lack of faith in the Echo and future Amazon products if they did this, in addition the storage costs probably wouldn't be worth it. Storage is cheap but it still costs money.
>>
>>95715
Agreed. I think it's fine to say Amazon/etc. choose to not record 24/7. I just don't like the storage capacity argument as justification.

ROI/profit is far better justification. Which is why I think none of these companies would store 24/7 recordings for their own purposes.

As for recording and keeping every request, to test and improve language recognition? Sure, probably worth keeping at least some real-world data for some length of time.
>>
>>95666
you dumb ass you only need to say the command phrase for it to know its being commanded. it is always listening. Saying it is off while plugged in is a as dumb as believing the GPS off button on your phone actually turns the GPS tracker off. If it's not a hard switch it aint shit, nigger.
>>
>>95666
No it is always recording you lying fucking faggot
>>
>>95350
Columbus made this thing with the indians.
>>
>>95801
Not recording, but listening. Otherwise how would it work?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.