[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

China chokes on smog so bad that planes can't land

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/12/19/china-chokes-smog-so-bad-planes-cant-land/95604308/

>Major cities across northern China choked Monday under a blanket of smog so thick that industries were ordered shut down and air and ground traffic was disrupted.

>At least 23 cities issued red alerts for a swath of pollution that has hovered over much of the nation since Friday, China's Xinhua news agency reported. Alerts are expected to remain in effect through Wednesday.

>Hospitals set emergency procedures in motion to deal with an influx of breathing-related illnesses.

>Large hospitals in the port city of Tianjin, less than 100 miles southeast of Beijing, saw a surge in asthma and other respiratory issues, China's People’s Daily reported. The pollution forced the city to close the highways and caused delays and cancellations for dozens of flights, Xinhua said.

>"Off-the-charts air pollution chokes many places in #Hebei province, w/ PM2.5 levels exceeding 1,000 in its capital city of #Shijiazhuang," the People's Daily tweeted. Some coal and other industrial plants in Hebei were ordered to shut down until the smog eases.

>Beijing's meteorological authority told Agence France-Presse the worst haze would hit the city Monday night and linger until Tuesday. Under a contingency plan for severe air pollution, the city shut down more than 700 heavy industry plants and required 500 more to reduce production, the South China Morning Post reported.
>Earlier this month, Beijing authorities caused a stir when a draft of the Beijing Meteorological Disasters Prevention and Control Regulations defined smog as a meteorological disaster mainly caused by haze, blizzards or unfavorable meteorological conditions.

>Tianjin and other cities already list smog as a meteorological disaster in local regulations, but the State Council has yet to issue a similar national regulation.

>>
Hoax.
>>
>Trump thinks there is such a thing as clean coal

Kek
>>
>>93563
Yes comrade, china is strong.
>>
>>93592
There is, it's just that properly filtering the exhaust is really expensive.
>>
Fucking liberals and Jews trying to bring down china's good name. I personally can't wait for when America fully re-embraces life giving coal. I say do away with the presidency and just let the heads of all the oil and coal companies form a world ruling council.
>>
The US Embassy in Beijing runs air quality tests everyday to measure the particulate matter in the air. In the US, we max out at about 500 PM, with a city like LA on its worst days hitting around 300 PM. The edges of wildfires are measured at about 400 to 450 PM. Beijing has had a day that's 750 PM.

The pollution there is so bad that some days the air turns orange.
>>
>>93690
>In the US, we max out at about 500 PM, with a city like LA on its worst days hitting around 300 PM
Where in the US do we hit 500 PM if not LA? New York? Also, do you have any links to more detailed data? I'd be interested in seeing how much Beijing fluctuates compared to a US city.
>>
>>93690
Just 750 PPM? Dude I've been there quite a few times and on some days you can't even see 5 feet in front of you.
>>
Some people over there, it seems, were willing to do whatever they had to do to keep up with the Joneses (americans, et al.).

The only way they made their economy was by severe rape of their environment and people: the masses allowed it to happen and now they sadly are paying with life. All of us are because smoke doesn't stay on one side of an imaginary line.

America too will be great again and look exactly the same as china is now. Again, sadly for all of us struggling for air, our bodies starving from malnutrition, our spirits gasping for sanity. Sad, sad, sad for all of us: especially for those in denial who are making it worse by being stupid, ignorant, callous and weak.
>>
This is another reason why we should embrace nuclear energy but nobody wants to do that
>>
>>93821
It's not PPM, but here's an interview on it

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/18/169708763/beijing-grapples-with-record-air-pollution
>>
>>93629
top kek
>>
>>93954
China is already trying to reduce its dependence on coal by building a lot of nuclear reactors [1,2] and tons of solar "farms" and hydroelectric centrals. Surprisingly enough, china is largest producer of solar energy [3] and have the biggest hydroelectric central in the world ( the Three Gorges Dam) [4]. They are also doing a lot of research on photovoltaics and nuclear fusion [5].

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_in_China
[2] http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=28132
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_by_country
[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Gorges_Dam
[5] http://www.techienews.co.uk/9742391/china-just-became-the-world-leader-in-nuclear-fusion-research/
>>
>>93961

tldr, it's a relative measure of various particles and pollutants in the air, basically a form of the Air Quality Index, which is calibrated in the US such that 100 is the EPA limit, 300 is a public health hazard (e.g. LA warns people to stay indoors), and 500 is the highest the scale has specific measurements for. So 750 is literally off the scale.

The non-relative measure of particulate matter is in agreement between the US Embassy's measuring thingy and China's official measurement, so the Chinese government is not trying to lie or soften the blow this time.
>>
>>93965
>build solar farms
>sun can't reach them because smog
great job china
>>
>>93966
goddamn and I breathed that shit in for a month this year. China is going to have some fucked long term medical issues with its populace in about 20 years
>>
>>93595
You're the goddamn commie. Pollution is a liberal hoax designed to enrich green industries.
>>
>>93629
>I personally can't wait for when America fully re-embraces life giving coal.

>life giving coal

kek nice bait tho
>>
>>94009
Why can't you just say you're against green tech because your vested in coal?
>>
>>94035
No, I'm against green tech because it's inefficient, corrupt, and full of lying liberals. If there's one constant, it is that anything the left supports is 99% of the times going to be horseshit.
>>
>>94041
are you serious? even the fucking chinese who doesn't care a shit about any living thing than themselves are worried about that air quality in their cities
>>
>>94046
why even bother to respond to someone that needs to craft their own reality so that their head doesn't explode with dissonance between rudimentary fact and personal ideology

you can never convince these sorts; just gradually stamp out the disdain for science and reason
>>
>>93995
I'm willing to bet they have medical issues now. For example, http://archive.is/R95AF links to a pdf which documents their problems, containing:

>The consequences of current pollution are tragically apparent in public health statistics for
>polluted areas. As we will show, the best available evidence suggests that approximately
>4,000 people suffer premature death from pollution-related respiratory illness each year in
>Chongqing; 4,000 in Beijing; and 1,000 in both Shanghai and Shenyang.

That sounds low, but it was published in 1997. Twenty years ago it was already bad enough for people to be able to attribute thousands of deaths/year to it.
>>
>>94052
Interesting enough, my cousin just commented that if this goes on long enough Chinese that immigrated and stay in cleaner Western countries will eventually begin to look different than Chinese that remain in their ancestral lands due to this level of pollution.
>>
>>93690
>the air turns orange
That's not smog. That's iron dust, and it happens in Australia. I don't know about any case of that in China, but their air pollution in industrial cities is serious.
>>
>>94062
well, they already look different due to diet. First gen chinese born in the west are 25percent bigger than the mainlanders, often enough.

It'd be interesting to see how Fallouty the main chinese become.
>>
>>94081
that's a general trend due to american diets being so calorie dense

the same pattern applies with japanese, indonesians, filipino, even certain europeans
>>
>>93600
Which means companies won't do it until they are regulated to do so, which won't happen under a Republican supermajority. Hell, that won't happen under a Democrat supermajority either.
>>
>>93629
Back to /pol/
>>
As a swede im confused by the world at large,

We have filters on everything,
As soon as you leave sweden, you notice it smells more, car, waste, drains.

Why dont yall use filtering?
>>
>>94081
>>94095

MORLOCKS!
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.