[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Man spends 2m he doesn't have, is acquitted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 0

>Luke Brett Moore accidentally given unlimited line of credit by his bank
>after a year of being overdrawn (but never cut off) due to mortgage payments, decides to pay off $50,000 of it
>buys a $36,000 Hyundai Veloster just so he can drive to Sydney to buy a Maserati
>spends about $2 million over the course of two years on hookers and blow
>police finally catch up with him
>represents himself in court and eventually gets acquitted, after spending 6 months in jail
>"The judge said I was dishonest, but we don't live in a society where moral wrongs result in people being locked up behind bars and their liberty taken away from them."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38308842

How could the justice system so unfairly treat a man who's done literally nothing wrong?
>>
>knowingly spent money that wasn't his for months on partying.
>nothing wrong.

God people are fucking retarded, if I kill your mom in the woods and nobody finds out, I didn't do anything wrong right?
>>
>>93161
>I didn't do anything wrong right?
thats what i've been going by
>>
>>93161
>not breaking the law
>breaking the law
Do you see the difference?
>>
>>93143
If the bank let him buy cars, hookers, and blow unfettered for two years they should be penalized for gross negligence.
>>
>>93161
He did something very much morally wrong but he shouldn't be arrested. There is no law against using money that isn't yours but was found in your bank account. The bank fucked up and didn't knew they fucked up for like 3 years. Its their fault.
>>
>>93201
Pretty sure that most cases like these it's basically theft by the person; that's why this case is so crazy that he got away with it when usually people get assfucked.
>>
>>93218
but he didn't STOLE the money. He used what was already stolen to him.
>>
>>93220
He didn't steal it in everyday terminology, but a clerical error doesn't give you free license to spend it, at least that's my understanding since I primarily hear of people being arrested from doing it: https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/money/blog/2013/feb/09/bank-error-your-favour-spending-it-theft&ved=0ahUKEwivyYan24HRAhVJxrwKHdv1C7cQFghRMAU&usg=AFQjCNHApChcmnDGylTRPn8gYszhneM9dA&sig2=-iRwH_rJwp3hl9NJ91H1_g
>>
>>93220
Law requires some measure of reasonable interpretation by judges, because rigid interpretations of what's on the books can't account for the gray areas in every real-world scenario. Laws often need interpretation with a degree of reasoning and compassion.
>>
>>93143

If the bank error was to give him credit, not free money, then it wasn't in any way really stealing since he would be indebted to the bank with interest no matter what.

If the bank error resulted in him getting $2m added to his account suddenly for free then yeah, that would easily be at the stealing line.

But again, the guy was on credit and knew he was on credit. He was borrowing and, sure, would end up in massive debt with no intent of paying it off, but then his shit would get repossessed and his wages would be garnished for life.

So yeah, he'd be fucked even without the potential judicial moral banhammer. Not saying said banhammer shouldn't be applied, maybe at least in a suspended sentence, but just that in the end it still wasn't something for nothing.
>>
Fuck that retard was dumb
Should have moved the funds over to a foreign bank to keep said money instead of wasting it.
>>
>>93143
Banks steal billions, why should this poor schmuck go to jail? Justice was served, if you ask me he should sue the state for depriving him of his freedom for 6 months.
>>
>>93198
And fined, oh... Say, two million dollars.
>>
>>96124
Tbh I would do 6 months for 2 million, sounds like a fair trade.
>>
>>94831
If the money still existed he would likely have been made to pay it back
>>
>>94831
now THAT would have been stealing
>>
>>96195
He still has to pay it back?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.